Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 04:03 PM

515 posts, read 1,037,079 times

Advertisements

Don't we pay a gas tax to support road construction...why is a toll road even a consideration...I used to live in MA and the entrance and exit of the MA Pike were always a disaster at rush hour...we need to clean house in the DOT...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 07:24 PM

601 posts, read 964,506 times
NCDOT is giving Charlotte three choices in regards to the unused lanes. They can either open them as carpool lanes, open them as general purpose lanes, or leave it unused. If the state decides to open them as general purpose lanes, it will be difficult to later convert them to a HOT/toll lanes. The carpool lanes could open as early as August, and would cost about $1 million dollars to restripe the lanes and to add carpool signage.

NC DOT to Charlotte: Your choice on I-485 carpool lane | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 02-09-2015, 07:58 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,165,050 times
While 4 lanes would help no doubt (should be free and save immediate marking cost), I say they should also look at continuing the 3rd lane construction East from Rae (main reason for current bottle neck).

Old 02-10-2015, 07:10 AM

777 posts, read 2,568,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
While 4 lanes would help no doubt (should be free and save immediate marking cost), I say they should also look at continuing the 3rd lane construction East from Rae (main reason for current bottle neck).
Rea rd to 74 widening is already planned to start in 2017, open in 2019.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:53 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
Make it a HOV lane and get the heck on with it. We don't need the extra hassle of toll lanes here anyway. If money is the issue, I'm sure there are plenty of places the budget could be trimmed up instead of charging to use a road we've already paid for.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:56 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
I hate to lump all civil engineers in the bottom of the barrel, but what is it about those idiots? Time and time again, either the wrong decision or on a good day, a poor decision. Why can't more talented people get involved in building roads? Geez, it must the pay. I mean, it is not rocket science...that would be a subset of Aeronautical Engineering.

Civil Engineers, the great unwashed of the STEM world. I guess.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:33 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I hate to lump all civil engineers in the bottom of the barrel, but what is it about those idiots? Time and time again, either the wrong decision or on a good day, a poor decision. Why can't more talented people get involved in building roads? Geez, it must the pay. I mean, it is not rocket science...that would be a subset of Aeronautical Engineering.

Civil Engineers, the great unwashed of the STEM world. I guess.
Talk to your politicians. The biggest problem civil engineers face is the severe budget constraints from state and federal officials. Everyone wants big, wide, and amazing roads but no one wants to pay for them. Politicians love siphoning transportation funding like the gas tax into other unrelated projects as well. Tell Washington to fund the federal highway trust fund instead of all the other waste they're spending on (the heavily bloated "defense" budget) and NC redirecting your gas tax to whatever they feel like. I'd say they're doing the best they can with the limited funds available. Engineers love building roads and would have Charlotte covered in wide interstates if the funds were available.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:37 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
I used Raleigh's southwestern outer loop which is tolled, and Hertz charged me $22 for the privilege. Poor Raleigh is so Yankee-fied now that they willingly accept toll roads.

Charlotte has many, many more miles of freeways than Raleigh.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:43 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I used Raleigh's southwestern outer loop which is tolled, and Hertz charged me $22 for the privilege. Poor Raleigh is so Yankee-fied now that they willingly accept toll roads.

Have you actually driven on the freeways here Coming from Atlanta you know as well as I do that the capacity on sucks compared to Raleigh.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:11 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

Charlotte is also significantly larger than Raleigh and with a population that's more heavily concentrated in one area whereas the Triangle metro spans across several cities. All of the top congested freeways in NC are in the Charlotte area so it's clear that the current network doesn't meet demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte