Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:43 AM

102 posts, read 119,903 times

Advertisements

It has been a few weeks since i have moved to charlotte. Great weather, Diversified crowd or should i say intresting crowd ???

I have been in this town exactly 17 days. This is what has happened till now:

First few days was very busy setting up the apartment, the person living above is noisy as hell.. but we were so tierd we slept somehow. This person cannot go to sleep till 1 or 2 am. Listens to music in the middle of the night, runs around the house and so on. We thought may be this guy also moved in just now and he is having no time in the day and he is setting his apartment up. So it is wise to leave him/her alone. But it kept on and on everyday.

Meanwhile every shop i go, the people are moving at the slowest pace. Walmarts are yukky and crowd is not the greatest. What the hell i thought and may be i did not know where to go and shop. Cool... these are problems for everyone who moves to a new place.

Around the 5th day, there is a flyer attached to my door.. saying there was some kind of armed robbery next to the mail box. And before this from my friends in different apartment complex i have heard that robbery is part and parcel here. Break-ins are getting more and more common. I am like it is not a big deal, people get mugged. so what is the big deal. I will keep no more than 20 in my wallet and in case someone asks i will give that away was the solution.

2 days later, the guy upstaris in the middle of the night has loud music and the next day running around everywhere and there is no piece of mind. The parents above jump, kids jump and this wont stop till 1am. Have you seen a kid 3-4 yrs not going to bed till 1am ? I am like this got to stop. I will give 10 days was my limit.

the 10th day arrived and still this was on, so i went to him introduced myself and told about the issues. He was ok for the rest of the night. Next morning right at 7am, running around again. I am like what should i do now ? Should i report and make this a big issue. Before this i have been at several places never did i see a person like this.

day later, i see a flyer in the neighbourhood hair cutting shop ... about 3 armed robberies and people looking for these fellows. I am like great, one more. I came home and then saw another flyer.. THIS IS BIZZARE....

There was a party going on in the poolside (PRIVATE) and guest only are invited. Somone from the complex was having it, there was this other guy within the complex who went there and wouldn't leave inspite of the host asking him to leave as this was a private party. The guy who went there uninvited, starting shooting in the air. We were walking the trails around the apartment complex... and this is not a freaking getto. It is a nice gated community. If idiots like this are in here, imagine the getto situation. I guess it is the people, not the city. I really think, one particular sect is causing this. I was horrified.

Come monday, i got a call saying.. there are several complaints about the guy who lives around me from the neighbours and since i lived right below are there any complaints.. i am like yes. but at this point i am so confused i dont know what to talk about and what not to.

Why are people like this here, this is the first city i am seeing this in. I have lived in 3 cities before this and never heard of any thing like this. But this is getting worse and worse and i dont know what might happen next. It seems like, every day we are made to think worse is yet to come. GUYS if safety is a issue, pls reconsider and do not make the mistake i made. I have tried to throw a positive spin, but people here are making it worse for themselves and others i guess.

SO TAKE CARE AND MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE FOR YOUR FAMILY.

NOTE:- I KNOW THE COMMON GUYS IN CHARLOTTE WHO WILL RESPOND TO THIS, I AM JUST PUTTING MY EXP IN FEW WEEKS HERE. SO IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING POSITIVE, YOU MAY FILL IT IN - BUT THIS IS MY STORY IN FEW WEEKS

Old 01-08-2008, 09:53 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,143 times
Where do you live? And what do you want? Move then. All your posts seem very depressing to be honest. Maybe Charlotte is not for you....

Old 01-08-2008, 09:53 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlazygc View Post
It has been a few weeks since i have moved to charlotte. Great weather, Diversified crowd or should i say intresting crowd ???

I have been in this town exactly 17 days. This is what has happened till now:

First few days was very busy setting up the apartment, the person living above is noisy as hell.. but we were so tierd we slept somehow. This person cannot go to sleep till 1 or 2 am. Listens to music in the middle of the night, runs around the house and so on. We thought may be this guy also moved in just now and he is having no time in the day and he is setting his apartment up. So it is wise to leave him/her alone. But it kept on and on everyday.

Meanwhile every shop i go, the people are moving at the slowest pace. Walmarts are yukky and crowd is not the greatest. What the hell i thought and may be i did not know where to go and shop. Cool... these are problems for everyone who moves to a new place.

Around the 5th day, there is a flyer attached to my door.. saying there was some kind of armed robbery next to the mail box. And before this from my friends in different apartment complex i have heard that robbery is part and parcel here. Break-ins are getting more and more common. I am like it is not a big deal, people get mugged. so what is the big deal. I will keep no more than 20 in my wallet and in case someone asks i will give that away was the solution.

2 days later, the guy upstaris in the middle of the night has loud music and the next day running around everywhere and there is no piece of mind. The parents above jump, kids jump and this wont stop till 1am. Have you seen a kid 3-4 yrs not going to bed till 1am ? I am like this got to stop. I will give 10 days was my limit.

the 10th day arrived and still this was on, so i went to him introduced myself and told about the issues. He was ok for the rest of the night. Next morning right at 7am, running around again. I am like what should i do now ? Should i report and make this a big issue. Before this i have been at several places never did i see a person like this.

day later, i see a flyer in the neighbourhood hair cutting shop ... about 3 armed robberies and people looking for these fellows. I am like great, one more. I came home and then saw another flyer.. THIS IS BIZZARE....

There was a party going on in the poolside (PRIVATE) and guest only are invited. Somone from the complex was having it, there was this other guy within the complex who went there and wouldn't leave inspite of the host asking him to leave as this was a private party. The guy who went there uninvited, starting shooting in the air. We were walking the trails around the apartment complex... and this is not a freaking getto. It is a nice gated community. If idiots like this are in here, imagine the getto situation. I guess it is the people, not the city. I really think, one particular sect is causing this. I was horrified.

Come monday, i got a call saying.. there are several complaints about the guy who lives around me from the neighbours and since i lived right below are there any complaints.. i am like yes. but at this point i am so confused i dont know what to talk about and what not to.

Why are people like this here, this is the first city i am seeing this in. I have lived in 3 cities before this and never heard of any thing like this. But this is getting worse and worse and i dont know what might happen next. It seems like, every day we are made to think worse is yet to come. GUYS if safety is a issue, pls reconsider and do not make the mistake i made. I have tried to throw a positive spin, but people here are making it worse for themselves and others i guess.

SO TAKE CARE AND MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE FOR YOUR FAMILY.

NOTE:- I KNOW THE COMMON GUYS IN CHARLOTTE WHO WILL RESPOND TO THIS, I AM JUST PUTTING MY EXP IN FEW WEEKS HERE. SO IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING POSITIVE, YOU MAY FILL IT IN - BUT THIS IS MY STORY IN FEW WEEKS
Your situation breaks my heart - please consider breaking your lease and moving. You may think your complex is supposedly a "nice" one, but you are living too near some very bad areas.

Newcomers thinking of moving into apartments along WT Harris Blvd itself, take note.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:08 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,427,768 times
This is why I moved out of my apt...sounds like the same place I was living. But apartments are huge magnets for crime around here. I would never again live in any aprtment in Charlotte; I don't care where it's at. The gates are jokes.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:20 PM

616 posts, read 1,751,606 times
Very sorry to hear you are going through such stress! I live (on a 6 month lease) in a complex in Pineville. Not gated, very reasonable rates, not super huge but a big complex. Some folks (after the fact) said they were worried about me, their kids had lived here and they had to move due to safety concerns, etc. Well, it has been very quiet, my car has never been messed with. No folks just sitting on the front steps or hanging out in the breezeway. Trash is well managed. The people who live above have a very heavy foot step, but it's not enough to keep me awake. No obvious signs of drug dealing, no one working on their torn apart jalopies in the parking lot. No screaming or fighting. This is not a fancy community - it looks a bit faded and with the drought a bit rusty-dusty. So it is possible to find a decently priced place with reasonable folks around you. Maybe the management here has been good about enforcing rules? Maybe we're not a huge complex and that makes a difference??

Perhaps it's time for you to do some more research and plan your way out of that difficult situation. Best wishes to you as you find a more tranquil environment.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:34 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,427,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post
Very sorry to hear you are going through such stress! I live (on a 6 month lease) in a complex in Pineville. Not gated, very reasonable rates, not super huge but a big complex. Some folks (after the fact) said they were worried about me, their kids had lived here and they had to move due to safety concerns, etc. Well, it has been very quiet, my car has never been messed with. No folks just sitting on the front steps or hanging out in the breezeway. Trash is well managed. The people who live above have a very heavy foot step, but it's not enough to keep me awake. No obvious signs of drug dealing, no one working on their torn apart jalopies in the parking lot. No screaming or fighting. This is not a fancy community - it looks a bit faded and with the drought a bit rusty-dusty. So it is possible to find a decently priced place with reasonable folks around you. Maybe the management here has been good about enforcing rules? Maybe we're not a huge complex and that makes a difference??

Perhaps it's time for you to do some more research and plan your way out of that difficult situation. Best wishes to you as you find a more tranquil environment.
Sounds like Sabal Point...Could be Camden. My friend and his wife lived in Camden when two of the buildings burned. One was theirs.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:41 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,005 times
Remember that Charlotte-Mecklenburg has a noise ordinance -24hrs- a day! So if the noise is to loud, just call 911 and let them assist you!

GOOD LUCK!

Old 01-08-2008, 02:56 PM

616 posts, read 1,751,606 times
:-) Colonial Village at Meadow Creek, across the creek from Sabal. I'm very pleased with the past low drama months. And am moving out to a house before spring. Bet it's different when nights are long and the air is warm?

Old 01-08-2008, 03:46 PM

672 posts, read 1,831,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
Where do you live? And what do you want? Move then. All your posts seem very depressing to be honest. Maybe Charlotte is not for you....
First of all, this person is sharing her experiences that she has had living in CHARLOTTE thus far. It is not for you to judge what she should do next. IT is her right to allow others to know about her terrible experiences. I for one can understand and am very sorry you are going through all of this. Her posts are not depressing, they are true, it is not her fault that Charlotte thus far has been aweful for her.

What part of Charlotte do you live in. Yes I would break my lease and move back home. Somewhat new to Charlotte myself, I also find it very hard to understand what areas are good and what areas are crime ridden as there are a lot of pockets of crime and a lot of ghetto in suberbia.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:32 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,667,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
Yes I would break my lease and move back home.
Or why not move to one of the many very safe communities in the Charlotte area. If I lived where she does, which is not a very desirable place to live in the first place, I'm sure I would have posted a similar thread topic. No wonder she's having such a hard time "in Charlotte"--her immediate surroundings are greatly influencing her perception of Charlotte as a whole.

Newcomers must be aware that this poster lives in a relatively safe area of Charlotte that is increasingly encountering criminal activity due to its proximity to rougher areas. Harris Blvd is not indicative of Charlotte as a whole, and this thread needs to also be taken in its proper context.

I again suggest to the OP to break the lease, suck up the financial losses (which could be made up by subletting or finding another tenant to fulfill her rental obligation), and move to a safe part of Charlotte where she can be MUCH HAPPIER!

I'd be depressed too if I lived where she does. She also CHOSE to live in an apartment complex where one cannot choose their neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte