Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 06:31 AM

95 posts, read 278,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT'ah View Post
this isn't even a fair question...hey...you just moved from some crime ridden state, how do you like this semi-crime ridden state with cheaper houses? duh!
LOL, I'm asking people who have been living in NC for a while...geez!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Yes and no it's not good.

I agree with others, cons are lack of Cuban food and Cuban bakeries. Taxes while cheaper on homes, you pay for it on income, cars and pets every year. Not a lot of lakes, canals, beaches etc like in FL.

Pros, cheaper cost of living, nicer people, more wholesome to raise kids in, prettier place to live in (SE Charlotte), more time personally since theres not too much traffic/long lines in stores, mountains, overall slower pace of living.

I am a native of Florida and never will I go back. We get offers to transfer back with dh's job and refused each time. When we visit, we are so glad to come back home. And now it's been about 5 years since we visited preferring them to come here. Heck they prefer to come here. So far, we got 3 sets of family to move here.
How does the tax on pets work?

Old 02-06-2015, 08:30 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,721,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc101 View Post
How does the tax on pets work?
Licensing

They call it "licensing". You also have to do rabies shots for pets like in FL.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:57 AM

140 posts, read 168,462 times
There are many FL transplants here, I am one of them. However, we moved when I was a child, so I can't speak on any of the logistical/tax factors.

One of the main reasons my family moved was for schools. The public schools here are better in most areas of Charlotte, than they seemed to be in SoFla.

The weather is a little more variable - yes the winters can be a little cold compared to be mild climate there, but it's easy to adjust to with some winter clothing. No hurricanes is a plus - or if they come up towards us, we just get some moderate rain. The summer afternoon showers is somewhat frequent here, which reminds me of FL.

The street signs are not always as big and visible like they were in FL (I'm from West Palm Beach). That is always a nice luxury that FL planned for - turning lanes, signs advising the next intersection, nice smooth roads...
There are some weirdo drivers here, a little bit of rush hour traffic - but it's easy to figure out where the worst congestion is and how to avoid it.

I can't speak much to compare food scene aside from what was said about - Clt has less Cuban immigrants and thus, there are almost no Cuban restaurants. We have more cuisine from Central America (Mexico, Peru, Honduras).

Hope you find more insight!

Old 02-06-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstania View Post
There are many FL transplants here, I am one of them. However, we moved when I was a child, so I can't speak on any of the logistical/tax factors.

One of the main reasons my family moved was for schools. The public schools here are better in most areas of Charlotte, than they seemed to be in SoFla.

The weather is a little more variable - yes the winters can be a little cold compared to be mild climate there, but it's easy to adjust to with some winter clothing. No hurricanes is a plus - or if they come up towards us, we just get some moderate rain. The summer afternoon showers is somewhat frequent here, which reminds me of FL.

The street signs are not always as big and visible like they were in FL (I'm from West Palm Beach). That is always a nice luxury that FL planned for - turning lanes, signs advising the next intersection, nice smooth roads...
There are some weirdo drivers here, a little bit of rush hour traffic - but it's easy to figure out where the worst congestion is and how to avoid it.

I can't speak much to compare food scene aside from what was said about - Clt has less Cuban immigrants and thus, there are almost no Cuban restaurants. We have more cuisine from Central America (Mexico, Peru, Honduras).

Hope you find more insight!
thank you so much! this helps ))

Old 02-06-2015, 12:23 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,583,905 times
Vehicle tax and inspection...You must get your car inspected every year before you can renew your tag. When you go to the DMV to renew your tag you will have to pay the renewal fee for the sticker along with a vehcile tax/highway use tax based of the "approximate value" of your car and some mathematical equation to figure out what percentage you pay.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:24 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,583,905 times
And sorry to double post but I was just offered a job with my company in Tampa and I am looking into it but most likely will be turning it down.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:47 PM

747 posts, read 2,096,305 times
We moved from Miami/FTL coming up on 7 years ago. Would I ever go back? Only to see my in laws, and then only if my Wife told me I had to. If you want night life and beaches, SoFla has CLT beat. If you are looking for Latin culture, SoFla has CLT beat. If you are looking for pro sports, SoFla has CLT beat.

But if you are looking for quality of life, CLT beats SoFla. All the rest is bull crap.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:10 AM

193 posts, read 492,050 times
We moved to Lake Norman Area for Charlotte over 12 years ago. How much do we like it? My husband commutes to South Florida for work because we refuse to return! The quality of life far surpassed the expenses that we gained such as state income tax. Home Owners insurance is a fraction of the costs, as are the costs of Property tax. We get twice the house for 1/2 the money. Schools for us were quite important, so we choose ISS school system, and are able to provide our children with an excellent public education that we would have to have paid for in private schools in Florida.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlaagnini View Post
We moved to Lake Norman Area for Charlotte over 12 years ago. How much do we like it? My husband commutes to South Florida for work because we refuse to return! The quality of life far surpassed the expenses that we gained such as state income tax. Home Owners insurance is a fraction of the costs, as are the costs of Property tax. We get twice the house for 1/2 the money. Schools for us were quite important, so we choose ISS school system, and are able to provide our children with an excellent public education that we would have to have paid for in private schools in Florida.
this really helps, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte