Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 12:08 PM

95 posts, read 280,340 times

Advertisements

Now that you live in Charlotte, what are your thoughts? pros and cons? Do you like it or are you coming back? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 01:27 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,598,937 times
Pros- housing, property taxes on homes and insurance is cheaper, traffic though the drivers are bad have nothing on 95 or the palmetto, and easier to get around

Cons- taxes are more here such as vehicle tax, state income tax, and tax on groceries, not as much to do as S. FLA, and the food scene is lacking for a city this size.

Schools in both are not great so thats a tie.

Would I move back? Possibly but it would take the right job and being able to live in the right area, but for now I am fine in Charlotte.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:00 PM

372 posts, read 659,427 times
Pros - more laid back, cheaper housing, actual seasons, better sports fans here.

Cons - Cuban food in Charlotte is a joke. No Coconut Grove.

Would I move back?

No way.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
Pros- housing, property taxes on homes and insurance is cheaper, traffic though the drivers are bad have nothing on 95 or the palmetto, and easier to get around

Cons- taxes are more here such as vehicle tax, state income tax, and tax on groceries, not as much to do as S. FLA, and the food scene is lacking for a city this size.

Would I move back? Possibly but it would take the right job and being able to live in the right area, but for now I am fine in Charlotte.
I drive on the palmetto everyday and I can't even begin to tell you how much worse it's gotten within the last year.. if that's even possible.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glmore View Post
Pros - more laid back, cheaper housing, actual seasons, better sports fans here.

Cons - Cuban food in Charlotte is a joke. No Coconut Grove.

Would I move back?

No way.
A friend of mine who is Cuban told me Taste of Havana in uptown was good, have you been?

Old 02-05-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post

How does the vehicle tax work?

Old 02-05-2015, 02:30 PM

372 posts, read 659,427 times
Never heard of "A taste of Havana" and a google search does not find one as well. Maybe he's thinking of "A Piece of Havana" in the Steele Creek area. We have given that place at least 3 tries over the last couple of years and have been horribly disappointed.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:04 PM

444 posts, read 582,205 times
this isn't even a fair question...hey...you just moved from some crime ridden state, how do you like this semi-crime ridden state with cheaper houses? duh!

Old 02-05-2015, 04:57 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc101 View Post
A friend of mine who is Cuban told me Taste of Havana in uptown was good, have you been?
Yes and no it's not good.

I agree with others, cons are lack of Cuban food and Cuban bakeries. Taxes while cheaper on homes, you pay for it on income, cars and pets every year. Not a lot of lakes, canals, beaches etc like in FL.

Pros, cheaper cost of living, nicer people, more wholesome to raise kids in, prettier place to live in (SE Charlotte), more time personally since theres not too much traffic/long lines in stores, mountains, overall slower pace of living.

I am a native of Florida and never will I go back. We get offers to transfer back with dh's job and refused each time. When we visit, we are so glad to come back home. And now it's been about 5 years since we visited preferring them to come here. Heck they prefer to come here. So far, we got 3 sets of family to move here.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:01 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,530 times
As someone who lived in NC most of his life, but visited grandparents in Florida many times ... I could never imagine living there year round. You're practically housebound during the brutal summers, and can't plan much in the evenings because of the thunderstorms. Lots of bugs in the spring.

I have better memories of it in the 1970s. It felt like more of an adventure to visit a "different" place. Now it's so crowded with development that to me it resembles any flat, congested urban area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte