U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2008, 01:57 PM

36 posts, read 137,724 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are considering a move to Charlotte from Buffalo, NY and are looking at the Belmont, Mt. Holly, and McAdenville areas. We were wondering how the commute is using route 16 from uptown. Is this a new route? Does it cut down on traffic using it rather than the interstate? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 02:00 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,787,479 times
Don't know about route 16, but I-85 and Hwy 74 are the main routes to Gaston County from uptown. They can carry some volume, but generally speaking, it's pretty tame by Charlotte standards. I-85 is several lanes each direction.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:23 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,228,190 times
16 gets jammed up around the I-85 Interchange and stop lights around the trucking terminals. Once you get through those lights and overpass it's smooth sailing into the Mt. Holly area and on to Denver. I've heard the commute is pretty easy compared to other areas.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:38 PM

247 posts, read 763,177 times
Commute from Gaston area not bad. Be careful how far off 16 you purchase. Some area have only a one lane road in and out. Once you are on 16 not too many problems (for now) the area is growing

Old 01-13-2008, 08:00 PM

36 posts, read 137,724 times
Thanks for the advice! I am visiting in a few weeks and can't wait to explore! I am excited!!!! Thanks again!

Old 01-24-2008, 06:12 AM

28 posts, read 73,548 times
I live in McAdenville and commute to Charlotte everyday - the commute from Gaston County to Charlotte is one of the best kept secrets of life on the "over side of the river." I don't know anything about Rte 16 but if you'll be commuting to Charlotte from McA you'll be taking I-85 or Hwy. 74 (both of which run roughly parallel). When I worked at BofA in Uptown, it took me about 35 minutes from the time I started my car until the time I sat at my desk.

I now work in the Southwest Charlotte on Arrowood and take I-85 or Hwy 74 to I-485 which takes me about 20-25 minutes door-to-door. The return commute on I-85 during rush hour can be troublesome due to the poor design of I-85 at the Belmont Abbey exit (which has the far left, fast lane running out on a turn - so there's an accident there almost every day - Fridays are almost guaranteed to have an accident). You're best bet in this instance is to either take 74 all the way back or take the Mt. Holly exit off I-85 (just before the Belmont Abbey exit) and hop onto 74 to finish your commute) - even with all this, I can get back home in about 30-35 minutes.

My Charlottean co-workers are always amazed to learn that I can get to work faster than they can even though many of them live in Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte