Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 11:18 AM

8 posts, read 39,299 times

Advertisements

I found out a few days ago that I may need to be in Charlotte by the middle of March for a job.

I'm a single female in my early 40's. I have no children but I do have a cat. The new facility for work will be in Ayrsley but it won't be ready until Mid-April. The temporary work location appears to be just west of the 77 and 74 interchange.

I'd prefer to live close to work (Ayrsley location) as I can't stand long commutes. I'm looking for a 1 bedroom apartment (will consider non apartment rentals too) that accepts cats. I don't really care about amenities although a washer and dryer in the unit would be awesome, but not absolutely necessary. Number one priority is a short commute (15 minutes or less). Second priority would be a tie between safe and cheap (around $700 but definitely no more than $750). I think finding vacant apartments might be a problem too on such short notice.

My top two choices from looking on-line are York Ridge Apartments and some rentals north of the W Arrowood and S Tryon intersection.

For comparison I currently rent a duplex for $550/mo in Memphis, TN in an area that sounds similar to the NoDa area of Charlotte. My current place has no amenities except a washer/dryer in my unit. I currently have a problem with pests and mold so when I read bad apartment reviews I have to remind myself that my current place wouldn't get a glowing review either.

I would love to hear feedback on the areas I mentioned or other suggestions. Thank you!
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 09:47 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,530 times
You can find apartments within 15 minutes of Ayrsley and the area is not as pricey as south Charlotte or midtown/uptown which are the areas most often discussed on here.

You'll probably need to budget closer to $800 for a unit though. Perhaps you can find a small studio in the low 700s in that area, but they'll probably charge an extra $50 for the cat. And Charlotte complexes have a tendency to bill separately for things you might have assumed would be part of the rent like trash, water, mail concierge, etc. Some of them require renter's insurance, or mandatory cable TV (due to side agreements with Time-Warner).

Old 02-14-2015, 09:59 AM

140 posts, read 170,001 times
$550 is a dream in Charlotte in a nice area, unless you are renting a room.
My partner has lived in Ayrsley and it can be nice (some of the apartments appear to be constructed in a cheap/lazily/hastily way, which makes the walls seem paper thin).

I would start researching the area and see what's on the market. Arrowwood area, Whitehall, Gramercy Square, etc. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte