U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2006, 07:46 PM

199 posts, read 483,589 times

Advertisements

Ok, I visited “friends” in Matthews and had a great time but now were going (wife and I), but not telling them.

We want to explore ourselves. Anyways here’s what we want to see and do.

We will be up there early Friday morning (Nov. 24) and staying at the Microtel in Matthews and leaving Sunday the 26th afternoon.

We want to drive around Matthews, Indian Trail, and Huntersville.

We also want to see nightlife in charlotte, - bars, bands, restaurants, etc. at night

We are looking at small houses (1300- 1800 sq. ft) – couple years old in the price range $140,000 – $200,000 – with good schools. We have seen a few on many realtor sites and look forward to seeing them in person.

Plus we will be working for Charlotte- Mecklenburg school district but not sure where yet. (Thinking commute).

I have heard all about how bad some of those schools can be but we both love working in “tough” schools and do so now, but don’t necessarily want my “future” kids going there.

Since were staying in Matthews, we will be checking out some houses in the area on Friday, then what?

Indian Trail or Huntersville?

Any other areas that have what were looking for?

Where and how (roads) to we take to get there and downtown nightlife?

ANY suggestions would be great, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2006, 09:53 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,615,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb321 View Post
Ok, I visited “friends” in Matthews and had a great time but now were going (wife and I), but not telling them.

We want to explore ourselves. Anyways here’s what we want to see and do.

We will be up there early Friday morning (Nov. 24) and staying at the Microtel in Matthews and leaving Sunday the 26th afternoon.

We want to drive around Matthews, Indian Trail, and Huntersville.

We also want to see nightlife in charlotte, - bars, bands, restaurants, etc. at night

We are looking at small houses (1300- 1800 sq. ft) – couple years old in the price range $140,000 – $200,000 – with good schools. We have seen a few on many realtor sites and look forward to seeing them in person.

Plus we will be working for Charlotte- Mecklenburg school district but not sure where yet. (Thinking commute).

I have heard all about how bad some of those schools can be but we both love working in “tough” schools and do so now, but don’t necessarily want my “future” kids going there.

Since were staying in Matthews, we will be checking out some houses in the area on Friday, then what?

Indian Trail or Huntersville?

Any other areas that have what were looking for?

Where and how (roads) to we take to get there and downtown nightlife?

ANY suggestions would be great, thanks.

Since you are starting your visit in Matthews, see Indian Trail and Union county in general that day. Get up early Saturday and drive to Huntersville for a day of exploring up there. End the day by stopping in uptown Charlotte on your way back to Matthews from Huntersville. When you are on I77 heading south back toward uptown take exit 11. This puts you on the inner loop around uptown known as 277. Ride the whole loop if you want just to see uptown close up. Once you exit look to park in 7th Street Station, at the corner of 7th St. and College. From there you can walk around to check out the sites. The center of uptown is where Trade Street and Tryon Street intersect. There are many restaurants and clubs in this area. Walk up and down Tryon to take your pick. I like the Irish bar Ri Ra myself -but I'm sure you'll find places to check out with lots of music and good food. On Sunday take the time to see what you couldn't see of Charlotte the day before on your way out of town. If you are flying and heading back to the airport I can suggest a route that allows you to see some of what you may have missed on your way into town. Just let me know. Happy hunting - and welcome to Charlotte. We need good teachers not afraid to teach in our higher poverty schools!

Old 11-06-2006, 04:09 AM

Thanks that helps a lot.

Were actually driving back down to FL on Sunday morning/afternoon.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks that helps a lot.

Were actually driving back down to FL on Sunday morning/afternoon.
In that case Luke, I would still recommend this other route just so you get a look at how pretty the city is. Sunday morning you were probably planning to hop on 485 and connect over to I77 to head south to Florida. Instead, hop on 485 at Independence to head toward Pineville, but exit within a few minutes at the Matthews exit. At the bottom of the ramp take a right. You will go thru the little old downtown of Matthews (watch your speed, they ticket here frequently). As you leave the downtown area you will arrive at a big intersection (Monroe Rd at Hwy 51). Take a left onto Hwy 51. Within a minute or two take a right at the redlight onto Sardis Road. Enjoy this little drive until the road comes to an end at the third redlight. Take a left onto Rama Road. In just a minute take a right at the next red light onto Randolph Road. This road takes you all the way uptown in about 4 miles. As you get to downtown follow the signs to get to I77south (basically a left onto 277 after you drive under the overpass for 277. In a few minutes you will be able to exit to the right onto I77south to head out of town.

Going this way will allow you to see many residental sections of Charlotte you might miss otherwise and give you a better feel for the city. It will cost you maybe 15-20 minutes extra time. Have a great trip!

Old 11-06-2006, 12:39 PM

Thanks for that, can't wait for that Sunday drive.

Are there any areas in Indian Trail/Huntersville/Matthews that you wouldn't want to live in or near?

I keep hearing positive things about the three and I'm not worrying about traffic or driving, I'm just talking crime/safe/etc.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that, can't wait for that Sunday drive.

Are there any areas in Indian Trail/Huntersville/Matthews that you wouldn't want to live in or near?

I keep hearing positive things about the three and I'm not worrying about traffic or driving, I'm just talking crime/safe/etc.

Thanks in advance.
All three areas are very safe. About the only place I wouldn't want to live is a tiny little section of Matthews where there is a section of Habitat for Humanity homes - the resale possibilities would suffer. This area is behind the town hall location at a dead end so you probably wouldn't even find it unless you were specifically looking for it. Other than that, any of those 3 would be great places - really it's just what appeals to you personally.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:31 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,120,374 times
Some good advice on this thread.!

Old 11-06-2006, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Some good advice on this thread.!
Well bless your heart, aren't you just the sweetest thing!

Old 11-07-2006, 09:33 AM

1,723 posts, read 5,145,436 times
Don't forget to check out Ballantyne, Pineville, and south Charlotte areas along Rea Rd and Providence Road... beautiful places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or