Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 03:13 PM

467 posts, read 1,496,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Providing a nice, safe house is one thing. Demanding a landlord to provide housing that far surpasses code is another. I still contend that they would fail my house that is just over a year old for no other reason than to justify having a job.
Amen.

I think it's important that landlords in Charlotte spread the word to boycott the Charlotte Housing Authority and the Section 8/Housing Choice Voucher Program due to the absurd HUD requirements and the downright staggering lack of competence and accountability within CHA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 10:18 PM

33 posts, read 37,737 times
Quote:
Last I heard, the Section 8 waiting list was quite long. I'm not sure what effect moving here with a voucher will have, but many landlords are cutting ties to the program fora variety of reasons, my company included. Providing a nice, safe house is one thing. Demanding a landlord to provide housing that far surpasses code is another. I still contend that they would fail my house that is just over a year old for no other reason than to justify having a job.

Check out socialserve.com for a list of available properties. Call CHA to make sure you are eligible and will even be on the list to get a voucher. I was told the waiting list was over 5 years long in some cases.
Thank you I will check out the site. ? I already have a voucher it just needs to be transferred. Sad how the voucher is getting a bad rep.. I am now going to look in Greensboro and see if there is any difference. I was just trying to find somewhere to be at peace and live out.. but now I don't know are you into real estate? A broker?

Old 02-15-2015, 08:24 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademarked View Post
Charlotte Housing Authority is an absolute disaster, and is probably one of the most dysfunctional departments within the city.
Just to be clear, CHA is not a city department. Its a freestanding non-profit.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:15 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Just to be clear, CHA is not a city department. Its a freestanding non-profit.
Even worse than a city department.

From their website.

The City of Charlotte Housing Authority Board of Commissioners is a seven (7) member board appointed by the Charlotte City Council; two (2) appointed directly by the Mayor and five (5) appointed by other members of Council. At least one (1) member must be a resident of assisted (low income) housing.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:34 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

From their website.

The City of Charlotte Housing Authority Board of Commissioners is a seven (7) member board appointed by the Charlotte City Council; two (2) appointed directly by the Mayor and five (5) appointed by other members of Council. At least one (1) member must be a resident of assisted (low income) housing.
Here's a list of city departments from the City of Charlotte's website:

City Departments

Notice that the CHA is not listed.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:26 AM

When a CHA position opens up it comes to me via email on an "open city board positions" email.

Either way, CHA is a disaster, and needs to be re-created from the ground up.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:32 PM

33 posts, read 37,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soovernyc View Post
WHOA WOW ... Thank you sorry yes I was planning to port my voucher to . Charlotte wow well now that you said this imna bitnworried because they will be getting my paperwork 1st,, hmmm someone said I may be living in a shelter for months? Im trying to see if I will be able to find a decent area to move in,, and what the time frame will be like after Charlotte gets my paperwork. ?. But wow. Can I ask what you do? You said you use tonget section 8 applications. And can you tell me some decent zip codes to search. Thanks
oh lord did my transer last monday... sheesh well aint no going back now can you please tell me some decent areas to search zip codes ??

Old 04-07-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soovernyc View Post
oh lord did my transer last monday... sheesh well aint no going back now can you please tell me some decent areas to search zip codes ??
If you're coming from NYC every single zip code will seem decent.

However, it's unlikely to find many landlords, let alone landlords willing to take section 8 tenants, on the best sides of town. Generally speaking, you're going to find the bulk of the section 8 rentals in west charlotte, then the next most common area would be east charlotte, after that northeast/derita/university. I would no expect to find any section 8 rentals in south charlotte or the far north/highland creek region. Personally, I think east charlotte is a good compromise in terms of price/commute to uptown/crime/character.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:47 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
The funny thing about CHA is they can violate state law and withhold rent if a "landlord deficiency" isn't corrected in 60 days. Just for some clarity, a screen door that the tenant willfully destroyed is a landlord deficiency. And the landlord has no way to recoup the damages.

Think about this for a moment. Tenant gets mad at girlfriend and busts the screen door to pieces. CHA gets called in by the same tenant who trashed the door. Landlord says "F-You, that was a brand new door when they moved in." CHA somehow gets to completely withhold their portion of rent AND I can't evict the tenant for non-payment. Yeah. I want to sign up for that crap.

By the way, this is a real-life experience with those magnanimous jackasses of the CHA.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
The funny thing about CHA is they can violate state law and withhold rent if a "landlord deficiency" isn't corrected in 60 days. Just for some clarity, a screen door that the tenant willfully destroyed is a landlord deficiency. And the landlord has no way to recoup the damages.

Think about this for a moment. Tenant gets mad at girlfriend and busts the screen door to pieces. CHA gets called in by the same tenant who trashed the door. Landlord says "F-You, that was a brand new door when they moved in." CHA somehow gets to completely withhold their portion of rent AND I can't evict the tenant for non-payment. Yeah. I want to sign up for that crap.

By the way, this is a real-life experience with those magnanimous jackasses of the CHA.
Yep, been there many times, in abatement for stupid stuff.. shrub touching house... crack in sidewalk (that home owners association owns)...

Charlotte Family Housing is a better agency, so I recommend them to landlords now instead of CHA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte