Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 4,634 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have lived in CLT for a few years and are looking to buy our first home. We’ll also be having our first child soon. Here’s our criteria:

- Commute: < 30 mins to uptown leaving @6:30 a.m.
- Schools: Zoned for a good elementary school. Can’t think much beyond that.
- Budget: Low $300’s. Could stretch into 400’s for something really amazing (like, Dilworth amazing)
- Size: 3/2, 1500 sqft min.
- Other: Walkable streets where we won’t get run over.

Right now, the two neighborhoods that seem to satisfy those criteria are Beverly Woods and Olde Providence. Not a huge split-level fan, but you can’t have it all!

We don’t know many people in these neighborhoods, so any thoughts would be appreciated. Also, are we leaving any neighborhoods out?

Aside:
It’s a shame that the schools here seem to be either great or terrible. How are places like NODA, Plaza Midwood, Wilmore, Sedgefield, and Madison Park going to take off if you have to move when your kids start school? If you expect the demand to come from childless millennials wanting a more urban lifestyle, there are plenty of apartments in Southend for that demographic (i was included in that demo until recently).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 03:43 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
I live in Olde Providence and it's great for families, though with the exception of high school, my kids went to magnet schools. This is something you can consider if you prefer Plaza-Midwood, NODA, etc (Sedgefield actually has the very good Myers Park high school at least).
One thing I like about OP, is the shopping center within walking distance of much of the neighborhood. We regularly walk to the Lodge Restaurant or Brooklyn pizza for dinner, and TCBY for dessert. There is a swim club as well but we joined the YMCA instead.
Beverly Woods has the Harris Y right there - it has lots of great programs for kids. I think Beverly Woods ES actually has a better reputation than OP School, though both are probably fine. Olde Providence has a better High School, but South Meck is fine too.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:06 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,766,427 times
I grew up around both neighborhoods and to this day have plenty of friends and clients that live in both. You can't go wrong with either of them.

Both neighborhoods offer similar things and conveniences. As with all neighborhoods of this age it's a good mix of updated, fully renovated, and totally outdated homes. Beverly Woods will be a tad more expensive for the updated homes, especially a Ranch style layout.

As with all neighborhoods some streets offer more privacy, less traffic, etc..

Old 02-16-2015, 06:31 AM

777 posts, read 2,567,022 times
If I had to pick one based on location, BWE would win out there. Much closer to SouthPark but the real estate prices reflect that. BW homes don't last long on the market.

OP seems to have a higher turnover/inventory. Most houses in OP don't have a garage (which is a must for me) and again, that is reflected in the prices.

People LOVE Windyrush pool. Most of my neighbors (I live very close to OP) are members there. It is nice to be able to walk to the colony place shopping center from OP. Great family friendly restaurants and a Teeter.

Schools in both are great but OP goes to Myers Park High School, which is generally considered a "better" high school than South Charlotte.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:30 PM

4 posts, read 4,634 times
Thanks guys! This is helpful. We occasionally walk to the grocery store now, and being able to do that at OP would be nice.

Are there any other hoods we should be looking at?

How hard are the magnet schools to get into?

Old 02-16-2015, 06:39 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
It depends completely on which magnet. You can apply to three I believe. Your chances are about 50% at the most popular ones, but better or even a sure thing at others. There are many really good ones, others are mediocre programs. CMS website has the lottery results from previous years.

Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte