Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 04:46 PM

142 posts, read 961,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiter
I grew up in River Vale. I have been back since moving away but it is very depressing, nothing seems to change. Just that the roads and houses get older. NJ is a great place to visit.
I don't know much about Antioch Elem or Sun Valley High. They are both new. Like I said before, the area is growing fast.
We have all the amenities of the north down here.
We are relocating from NYC area and have two small children. We have just returned from a trip to Charlotte and looked at homes in Ballantyne area and Matthews. Are there any differences, as far as the people who buy in these areas? Is one area more geared towards families? Any help would be greatful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2006, 06:35 PM

741 posts, read 3,510,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyg
We are relocating from NYC area and have two small children. We have just returned from a trip to Charlotte and looked at homes in Ballantyne area and Matthews. Are there any differences, as far as the people who buy in these areas? Is one area more geared towards families? Any help would be greatful.
Hi, you need to look at this site if you have kids moving with you. http://www.healthofchildren.com/forum/forum-1.html
Good Luck

Old 05-01-2006, 07:15 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,754,940 times
Sallyg,
Although I'm certainly no expert since I don't live in NC yet, I wanted to give my input because my family also considered both areas. We stayed in Ballantyne for both my trips.

I have three small children and chose Union County over the Ballantyne area. It is definitely more family oriented. You're basically comparing the suburbs (Matthews) to an area built around a resort hotel (Ballantyne). Not that Ballantyne is a bad place. We loved our stay there. But it really is built around a huge corporate park-restaurants, cafes, offices, a new movie theater. There are some nice developments around but they are more expensive and all we hear about is how much trouble the CMS schools are in.

There is a section of Matthews in Meck County, and a section in Union County. Matthews has a small but nice downtown and really a great family feel.

If you like more of a rural feel, check out Weddington. The schools are excellent and the area is beautiful. The houses are more expensive, though.

Wherever you go, do call the schools and ask about their policies on discipline.

Good luck!!

Old 06-01-2006, 11:59 AM

467 posts, read 1,691,581 times
Default lake boating

can someone tell me how far from matthews vicinity is the nearest marina or public boat ramp?

Old 06-01-2006, 12:39 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CURT
can someone tell me how far from matthews vicinity is the nearest marina or public boat ramp?

Now don't quote me here...but I think the closest public boat ramp to Matthews would be Nivens Creek Landing (Lake Wylie) in Fort Mill, SC (of course depending where you are in Matthews it would be apx. 30 minutes away)

Old 06-03-2006, 10:43 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,926 times
Default not everyone from NJ :)

Well I am moving from Boston,MA- but seems to be a common theme in the NE. Just want to get out of the terrible weather, rude people, and high cost of living. Being from South Florida, I'm am looking forward to moving down to the "new south". We are moving to Waxhaw, NC at the end of the summer.

Old 06-03-2006, 10:58 PM

195 posts, read 217,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069
Well I am moving from Boston,MA- but seems to be a common theme in the NE. Just want to get out of the terrible weather, rude people, and high cost of living. Being from South Florida, I'm am looking forward to moving down to the "new south". We are moving to Waxhaw, NC at the end of the summer.
You have a PM With a few questions.

Old 09-01-2006, 07:40 PM

85 posts, read 263,904 times
Default Political Slant

[quote=Carolinaguy;660]One of my old roommates is a Matthews resident, and it is American Suburbia at it's best or worst-depending on your political slant of course . QUOTE]

What is the political slant in Matthews?

Old 12-05-2006, 02:17 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiter View Post
First, what part of NY? Matthews is a suburb of Charlotte but has incorporated on its own so taxes are lower. Services are provided by the town of Matthews. The schools are all part of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg School system. Are you considering public or private school? The CMS school district is huge and poorly run. The schools that Matthews residents go to are the best in the system. There are excellent private schools, many inexpensive. Don't know what kind of construction professional your husband is, but Meck county is growing fast in both residential and commercial building. If you look at a map, Union County, just below Matthews is growing fast and a bit less expensive. There is also Fort Mill, Tega Cay and Rock Hill SC. As far as your job, there is a lot of oppotunity. We moved here 12 years ago from NJ (Bergen County) to PA (Montgomery County) to NC. I have a 13 and a 10 year old and there is a lot to do with kids. Home prices do not compare with the North East. Typical homes, all brick, about 3300 sq ft with a decent lot run about $350k in Matthews. I do find that grocery shopping is higher here than in the North. Haven't figured it out yet. Taxes, auto insurance, and everything else lower.
Im curious cause now im confused, I went to the north carolina school report card site and according to that MATTHEWS is in Union County and the schools are Weddington middle, Wedding HS so how can it be part of the Meck-charolette schools?

Staci

Old 12-05-2006, 02:38 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
Im curious cause now im confused, I went to the north carolina school report card site and according to that MATTHEWS is in Union County and the schools are Weddington middle, Wedding HS so how can it be part of the Meck-charolette schools?

Staci
A very small portion of Matthews is in Union County, but most of it is Mecklenburg County. At least, that is how I understood it. We considered a house on Tilley Morris Road that was in Union County.

SL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte