Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

How to best adjust to new environment; best definition of assimilation, assimilation overused and misused term in forum messages and blogs

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 12:20 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I think it's a great idea! I've been trying to drum up something with the ladies at Fort Mill/Tega Cay for something like this. You know, the City-data ladies in the Triad already have something. Unfortunately, I work full time and can only do martini evenings! So whenever you can get one together, sign me up!
Well, no reason we can't do Lunch Bunch and Martini Evenings, both! I think I will get a thread started and see who is interested!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 12:21 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, I didn't mean to divide this into "us vs. them," LOL. And please understand - the term "carpet bagger" here has a real and definite meaning to old Southern families who literally lost their farms and/or businesses to speculators after 1865.
Point taken. heh

We have a "reverse transplant" at work (born/raised Charlotte with all his family still down there), who took to calling me a carpet bagger as soon as he learned of my intention to head down.

My only regret is that I can't award you a hundred rep points because you've taken this thread exactly where I hoped it would go... Kudos to you and my sincerest thanks for taking the time to explain some very important history in a constructive and polite approach.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Point taken. heh

We have a "reverse transplant" at work (born/raised Charlotte with all his family still down there), who took to calling me a carpet bagger as soon as he learned of my intention to head down.

My only regret is that I can't award you a hundred rep points because you've taken this thread exactly where I hoped it would go... Kudos to you and my sincerest thanks for taking the time to explain some very important history in a constructive and polite approach.
Mikey, your coworker has misused the term - you are no carpet bagger, LOL. Sounds to me like he is just trying to rattle your cage!!!

I appreciate having the opportunity to contribute to your thread. I am having a slow day . . . so this just gave me a platform to share my thoughts on a favorite subject . . . while waiting for my client to get me his document changes!!!

If you are not here in NC yet, come on down . . . and if you are already here . . . welcome! (Did you bring a brewery or pastry shop with you - I hope??? )

Old 01-11-2008, 12:52 PM

379 posts, read 645,109 times
I was not born in the south, nor do I consider myself to be a Southerner (even though I have spent the majority of my life in the south).

My husband is one of the very few natives of this area. His family has been here so long there are mountians and streets named after them (pre-revolutionary war). I cannot tell you, as someone who feels no true connection to one place or another, how amazing it is to listen to his family's stories about Charlotte (and Georgia). I have to say I am a bit jealous when we drive by something and my husband says ..."kids, that was named after your great, great, great, great grandfather".
I think it is wonderful that my husband is able to share his history with our kids. It makes them proud to know they are connected to Charlotte, the South, and even to our country. I find the Southerns feel a true family pride and a real connection to our country that I don't see in my family (or any other Northern families I know).
Last year, I became determined to find out something about my family to share with my children. My parents and their siblings remembered very little and their parents have passed away. I eventually, found out that my family had come to the US from England in the 1700's. They had settled in PA about 50 miles from where I was born. Almost 300 years of history in the same area and there are no stories!
Anyway, my point...I find the Southern people to be very proud. They tend to take criticism of Charlotte (constructive or not) personally, especially coming from someone new to this area. Maybe because they are aware of how much it has taken to get this city where it is today.

Last edited by Burgi; 01-11-2008 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 01-11-2008, 01:32 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Mikey, your coworker has misused the term - you are no carpet bagger, LOL. Sounds to me like he is just trying to rattle your cage!!!

I appreciate having the opportunity to contribute to your thread. I am having a slow day . . . so this just gave me a platform to share my thoughts on a favorite subject . . . while waiting for my client to get me his document changes!!!

If you are not here in NC yet, come on down . . . and if you are already here . . . welcome! (Did you bring a brewery or pastry shop with you - I hope??? )
I will be sure to beat up my co-worker - even though we are very good friends! lol

I've been heading down for weeks with delay after delay related to my relo documents from work, my house sale, etc, etc... I hope I finally got it all settled and will be down next week. I will be bringing dozens of bagels in tow, however that's pretty much where it stops.

Really, really looking forward to it!! Pass whatever local delicacy you got - yum!

Old 01-11-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I will be sure to beat up my co-worker - even though we are very good friends! lol

I've been heading down for weeks with delay after delay related to my relo documents from work, my house sale, etc, etc... I hope I finally got it all settled and will be down next week. I will be bringing dozens of bagels in tow, however that's pretty much where it stops.

Really, really looking forward to it!! Pass whatever local delicacy you got - yum!
Well, we love those bagels . . . I posted on a new thread - Ladies Lunch or Martini Eves . . . but you know . . . we ought to set up a get together for newcomers to the region (men and women) . . . meet and greet! Our own City Data Newcomers Club . . .

Keep posting so we will know when you are officially here . . .

Old 01-11-2008, 04:01 PM

44 posts, read 158,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
GREAT post, Ryan

Thanks!! I'm glad you liked the old school wisdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte