U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2008, 12:13 PM

36 posts, read 90,574 times

Advertisements

Moved to Charlotte August 2005. Decided to stay home with my daughter who was 8 months at that time (She was our first did not feel comfortable putting her in daycare). When she turned two, started putting my resume out there, thinking I would have no problem.... I have close to ten years experience in IT and Comp Sci degree. Well she just turned three, still no luck. I have probably applied for hundreds of positions. Trying not to get frustrated, but have to admit it's hard sometimes. Just wish I could get some kind of input, majority of positions I have applied for I get no response, feedback. Just a letter stating someone else was chosen. Is it the time off? or Just normal for Charlotte area. What can a Stay at Home Dad do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 12:27 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,252,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost4now View Post
Moved to Charlotte August 2005. Decided to stay home with my daughter who was 8 months at that time (She was our first did not feel comfortable putting her in daycare). When she turned two, started putting my resume out there, thinking I would have no problem.... I have close to ten years experience in IT and Comp Sci degree. Well she just turned three, still no luck. I have probably applied for hundreds of positions. Trying not to get frustrated, but have to admit it's hard sometimes. Just wish I could get some kind of input, majority of positions I have applied for I get no response, feedback. Just a letter stating someone else was chosen. Is it the time off? or Just normal for Charlotte area. What can a Stay at Home Dad do?
Congrats on doing the stay at home thing while your daughter was so young - you'll never regret that I'm sure.

Charlotte is one of those towns where you need to look for situations that are contract or temporary - so don't just focus on sending resumes to actual companies like Bank of America. In fact, many of their employees are hired by outside agencies first who contract them out to BofA - and after a few months BofA often buys out the contract and offers permenant employment. Check out this group - Ajilon Consulting. They have been very helpful to others with your qualifications that I know. Best of luck!

Old 01-10-2008, 12:53 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,181,321 times
I agree with lovesmountains...check out the recruiters websites. I'll PM you with some names (I mean real people within the recruiters offices) you can call if you want. I'm not sure what IT specialty you are in, but I know of companies who are big on people with either SQL server or VBA experience. Meantime, could you perhaps take some courses on what companies need until you get that job?

Old 01-11-2008, 09:21 AM

36 posts, read 90,574 times
Can't thank you enough... Will contact agencies. And yes it was something I will never regret

Old 01-11-2008, 09:45 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,545,796 times
I would personally go to a company for which you might want to work and get an appointment with someone in personnel. Talk to them personally and present your resume. Sometimes seeing a face instead of paper helps. As a person that has been in management for the past couple of decades, I can attest that I would be more likely to favor one that took that initiative. To be honest, people these days have learned the art of composing wonderful resumes and make minor accomplishments look monumental . They have become so good at it that many managers today take much of the information with a grain of salt. Personal contact is always best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte