Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 02:48 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,338,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Farmwood homes are huge and on above average size lots compared with new stuff these days... the prices they are selling at is around $70.00 a square foot. You can't build a decent house these days for less than $120.00 or so a square foot.

Those are very depressed prices. Look up the units owned by Invitation Homes. It is a very bad trend. A community being turned out into rentals.

I just would not invest in the area when you can go a few miles away and get on the right side of 74 or into Union County.
Is Farmwood making a comeback this spring Sun? Just checked to see some of the current listings and there were several under contract quickly at prices likely to be higher than what you're saying above.

6411 Gold Wagon Lane: under contract in 9 days (list price $89/square foot)
3943 Singletree Road: under contract in 7 days (list price $88/square foot)
5525 Lebanon Road: under contract in 7 days (list price $105/square foot)
6421 Gold Wagon Lane: under contract in 22 days (list price $90/square foot)
7000 Old Oak Lane: under contract in 3 days (list price $74/square foot)

These can't all be being bought by Invitation Homes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 07:18 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,208,453 times
True though, it does look like the prices are trending up. Still there are around 15 homes owned by Invitation if the newer section between Margaret Wallace and Lebanon Road.

I would have invested in them before as rental property, but not as long term residence.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,637 times
Anyone looking into the Matthews-Mint Hill area, check the Olde Sycamore Golf Plantation neighborhood. Great golf course community, beautifully maintained, right off 485 with easy access to both south and north Charlotte.
Mint Hill is a very nice progressive town with a quaint appearance.
Great atmosphere and low crime rate.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:03 PM

343 posts, read 686,006 times
Mint Hill is a growing area and I feel it is a good investment right now.

I hope they don't let the big box stores take over Mint Hill and let it become a small quaint town we all are wanting it to be. But, if the town lets the Big Boxes build the town it will be just like the rest of Charlotte with no uniqueness.

Closer to Almemarle Road will become a huge business park area around the high school. This will create a growth to the area. And the Allen area is going to grow also, thanks to the Hospital being built.

Last edited by chrharris; 05-13-2015 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: Wrong word

Old 09-09-2015, 09:28 AM

3 posts, read 7,412 times
Default Resident of 3 years

My husband and I moved to Mint Hill nearly 3 years ago. We live in the Telfair community. We wanted a semi-rural home. We have deer and wooded areas surrounding our home. I am currently in talks with persons with knowledge of the mall project. The Howard Hughes (developer) website has recently been update. The mall, for all intents and purposes, is moving forward. Very slowly. I hope to find a venue to expedite the project. We, in part, chose Mint Hill, for it's potential growth. Moderate, well planned growth equals increases in property values. This was a very important factor for us. To date, we have realized a $100,000.00 property increase within the 3 years. Not bad. Cheval builds million dollar homes, which people are building. The tremendous downside is retail shopping. Matthews is our closest source. We travel to South Charlotte for movies, fine dining, and shopping. The mall will add to our property values and provide a MUCH needed shopping location. The crime is low, the people are nice. The town officials probably needs some new blood. I have heard from natives that it is the old Mint Hill families that run the town and they DO NOT like change! All in all, I'd say give Mint Hill another look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldisney60 View Post
I have used this board in the past for questions on where to move. I'm constantly getting feedback that Mint Hill is not a good choice? can pp give me reasons why? Also what is the status of Bridges of Mint Hill & when will the loop be completed? Too me - looking to move down to Charlotte -- it see,ms like Mint Hill would be a great location. But I keep hearing negative feedback. Would luv to hear why... Thanks!

Old 09-10-2015, 12:26 AM

145 posts, read 155,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver62 View Post
My husband and I moved to Mint Hill nearly 3 years ago. We live in the Telfair community. We wanted a semi-rural home. We have deer and wooded areas surrounding our home. I am currently in talks with persons with knowledge of the mall project. The Howard Hughes (developer) website has recently been update. The mall, for all intents and purposes, is moving forward. Very slowly. I hope to find a venue to expedite the project. We, in part, chose Mint Hill, for it's potential growth. Moderate, well planned growth equals increases in property values. This was a very important factor for us. To date, we have realized a $100,000.00 property increase within the 3 years. Not bad. Cheval builds million dollar homes, which people are building. The tremendous downside is retail shopping. Matthews is our closest source. We travel to South Charlotte for movies, fine dining, and shopping. The mall will add to our property values and provide a MUCH needed shopping location. The crime is low, the people are nice. The town officials probably needs some new blood. I have heard from natives that it is the old Mint Hill families that run the town and they DO NOT like change! All in all, I'd say give Mint Hill another look.

There have been talks of a mall for over 12 years. Good luck with that. Stay far away from Mint Hill unless you like high taxes, and your kids being bused. If you are going buy your last home and don't care about your home dropping in value buy in Mint Hill. I know many folks who can't move and want to flee mint hill for that very reason.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:38 AM

569 posts, read 1,409,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Farmwood homes are huge and on above average size lots compared with new stuff these days... the prices they are selling at is around $70.00 a square foot. You can't build a decent house these days for less than $120.00 or so a square foot.

Those are very depressed prices. Look up the units owned by Invitation Homes. It is a very bad trend. A community being turned out into rentals.

I just would not invest in the area when you can go a few miles away and get on the right side of 74 or into Union County.
It is really kind of sad about Farmwood. When I grew up in this area back in the mid 90's Farmwood was the place to be. Lots of huge older ranches with large lots and trees. I remember my parents looked at moving there, but back then it was "too expensive" for them. LOL Now it seems to be in serious decline. I am not sure why though, I would think everyone would want those size homes and lots.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:39 PM

206 posts, read 344,410 times
Farmwood looks pretty to me! And affordable. I love those lots, trees and quiet streets. Perfect for walking/jogging and walking with my dog. I hope all the naysayers are wrong. I don't have kids so I shall not worry about schools. If I'm far enough south, I can zoom down to matthews for shopping. I like Bainbridge too, but its not as convenient as Farmwood.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:59 AM

159 posts, read 156,688 times
Sorry I hate all the talk about what "community" to buy in. I wish it was more of town to buy in instead of what communities.....aka "development". These communities do not build character, they build the same thing over and over and over.
I know it's easier to buy a house this way it just makes for a boring looking town when you let the developers build your town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte