U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 05:59 PM

24 posts, read 39,937 times

Advertisements

I have used this board in the past for questions on where to move. I'm constantly getting feedback that Mint Hill is not a good choice? can pp give me reasons why? Also what is the status of Bridges of Mint Hill & when will the loop be completed? Too me - looking to move down to Charlotte -- it see,ms like Mint Hill would be a great location. But I keep hearing negative feedback. Would luv to hear why... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 06:18 PM

6,032 posts, read 7,559,919 times
From Albemarle Road to the edge of Mint Hill I would say no. If you want to do a study on Mint Hill property values and where they are heading check out the Farmwood neighborhood. Values collapsing, foreclosures, and around 15 homes in the new section now owned by Invitation homes.

You would be better served with the Matthews area as far from 74 as possible.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:35 PM

186 posts, read 225,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
From Albemarle Road to the edge of Mint Hill I would say no. If you want to do a study on Mint Hill property values and where they are heading check out the Farmwood neighborhood. Values collapsing, foreclosures, and around 15 homes in the new section now owned by Invitation homes.

You would be better served with the Matthews area as far from 74 as possible.

Agree with everything ^^. I'll also add that I lived in Mint Hill about 8-10 years ago. it was a sleepy bedroom community with not a lot to offer...but we liked that (they were talking Bridged of MH back then, too). Anyway, there has been some growth in the center of Mint Hill (new Publix, etc) and I think it will continue, especially if the Bridges are built. That corner of CLT could use more shopping. It's kind of out there by itself. But, if you like being "out" and in a quiet area, it works. I'd suggest the area around Idlewild/485 or around Lawyers/485. Agree with above, though...Albermarle is no bueno.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:34 PM

5,885 posts, read 7,739,046 times
Taking a quick look at Farmwood I've definitely seen worse:

Using a RE site to find recently sold homes and then the Meck county website for previous sales:

10110 Little Creek Rd: sold 2/19 for $210K, previously sold in 2006 for $180K
6609 Gold Wagon Lane: sold 2/5 for $231K, previously sold in 1999 for $236K (foreclosure)
4915 Golfview Court: sold 1/23 for $214K, previously sold in 1999 for $223K (foreclosure)
7033 Old Oak Lane: sold 1/16 for $274K, previously sold in 2011 for $225K
7411 Timber Ridge Dr: sold 12/16 for $185K, previously sold in 2007 for $248K (short sale, looks like 2 offers fell through so I'm guessing there was an issue with this one)
5432 Birchill Rd: sold 12/12 for $125K, previously sold in 1997 for $135K (foreclosure)

There are also 8 homes currently under contract, those with semi-recent previous sales being:

5836 Lebanon Rd: List price $150K, sold in 2006 for $196K (foreclosure)
4632 Chuckwood Dr: List price $210K, sold in 2010 for $180K
7117 Pine Lake Lane: List price $175K, sold in 2010 for $170K
5629 Birchhill Rd: List price $270K, sold in 1997 for $183K
4724 Quail Ridge Dr: List price $214K, sold in 1996 for $139K

Sure there were foreclosures that took a hit but there were foreclosures all across the area. Only 1 of the 8 currently under contract is a foreclosure as far as I can tell. Pretty much everything that wasn't a foreclosure gained value, and a couple of the most recent sales sold for $30K higher than they did during the bubble.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:40 PM

6,032 posts, read 7,559,919 times
Farmwood homes are huge and on above average size lots compared with new stuff these days... the prices they are selling at is around $70.00 a square foot. You can't build a decent house these days for less than $120.00 or so a square foot.

Those are very depressed prices. Look up the units owned by Invitation Homes. It is a very bad trend. A community being turned out into rentals.

I just would not invest in the area when you can go a few miles away and get on the right side of 74 or into Union County.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:34 PM

24 posts, read 39,937 times
I'm looking at fairington oaks or summerwood. But general - looking to see if pop. & other businesses will likely happen in mint hill

Old 02-26-2015, 10:38 PM

5,885 posts, read 7,739,046 times
You've started several threads on this topic OP, not sure if you're going to get many answers that you haven't gotten already, although I know some of your posts ended up getting sidetracked into discussions about property values. But even speaking of that projected property values aren't the be-all, end-all particularly if you plan to stay awhile.

So getting away from property values, it is probably true that some of the schools in Mint Hill aren't as highly rated as some of the surrounding areas you were looking at like Matthews and parts of Union County. However there are also some very highly rated ones including I believe the current elementary school for Summerwood and Fairington Oaks. If you were still looking at Union County they do have lower taxes than Mecklenburg as well.

Honestly I wouldn't really count on the Bridges at Mint Hill happening. What do you mean "the loop"? 485? If so, should be done in the spring. There is new development near the new Publix, and supposedly the hospital in a few years, but even if there isn't much new built in the way of shopping Mint Hill is still convenient to both Matthews and Concord Mills/University for pretty much anything you need. Fairington Oaks is pretty much on the border with Matthews anyway.

I'm sure this is why you were considering these areas but commute-wise Mint Hill would be a pretty easy commute to the University area (~30 minutes) and would be about a half hour to Fort Mill (as long as you don't go during the morning rush hour). Matthews wouldn't add too much to the commute, but I'm not sure if I'd want to commute to University from Union County unless it's the Stallings/Indian Trail area.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:47 PM

12 posts, read 10,843 times
There are also 2 different elementary and middle schools in the Mint Hill Area, and they were rated significantly different on GreatSchools.com. Lebabnon and Northeast did not get the best ratings, but Bain and Mint Hill Middle had very good ratings. I know they share the same HS (Independence), but something to consider. I bought a decent size home in the Bain/Mint Hill district zoning and felt it was a good value in a safe location.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:19 PM

186 posts, read 225,318 times
I believe Queen's Grant Charter is also in Mint Hill, which is a great school if you can get in

Old 04-28-2015, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,794 times
I have lived in Mint Hill for the last 10+ years at the Olde Sycamore Golf Plantation. It is a great neighborhood, with very nice professional residents and a great family atmosphere.
There are other very nice neighborhoods with beautiful homes from mid-grade to very upscale. Mint Hill has a very low crime rate and has grown a great deal in the last 10 years. It is an excellent location with access to everything within the Charlotte region. Bain School, Mint Hill Middle, Queens Grant School are all good schools with good ratings.
The center of Mint Hill as well as the residential neighborhoods are far away from Albermarle Road (questionable area).
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND MINT HILL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte