Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 10:14 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Yeah Lowes going to Greenville does seem odd. If they go down, at least they aren't giving up without a fight though, they are definitely investing in a lot of their stores with the large-scale remodels they've been doing, of which I believe the one in Harrisburg is getting one.
It's just a weird choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 12:08 PM

841 posts, read 2,474,819 times
I pass both of these Lowe's stores on my way to/from work - the one by Union Rd used to be a Harris Teeter - from one day to the next it became a Lowes. I found it very weird that both of these Lowe's stores are about 1-2 miles apart from each other. Why would they make 2 Lowe's compete against each other? It's always sad to see any business close...

Old 03-03-2015, 12:39 PM

I'm sorry that Lowes Foods is leaving but I think that it will push more people to Aldi. Aldi already was looking at Kings Mountain to take up the slack between Shelby & Gastonia. Wal-Mart grabbed the location, but I suspect that this is just going to send them back to Kings Mountain for another location.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:08 PM

743 posts, read 825,131 times
Harris Teeter fell flat on it's face in Atlanta but found a formula that worked in DC, so Lowe's Foods might make it in Greenville. The Charlotte market is only suited forcompanies with the capital & willingness to compete.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:46 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
The Greenville, South Carolina area is a different beast. It is dominated by Bi-Lo, Ingle's, Publix and Walmart. Specialty grocers Earth Fare, The Fresh Market and Whole Foods Market, discount grocer Aldi and wholesale club stores Costco and Sam's Club round out the competition.

Harris Teeter had five stores in Greenville and Spartanburg counties of South Carolina from 1989 to 2001. Publix's successful ingress in 1995 and stalling caused Harris Teeter to divest its stores to Bi-Lo and leave the market. Harris Teeter, now owned by Kroger, announced in December its return to Greenville locating at Lewis Plaza on Augusta Street. ("Lewis Plaza, Greenville, South Carolina.") I have heard seven additional sites are under consideration; however, I do not know if these sites are just in Greenville County or across upstate South Carolina.

Food Lion also tried to exist in upstate South Carolina in a new market entry in 2006. Out of 17 Food Lion and Bloom stores it opened in Anderson, Greenville, Oconee, Pickens, Spartanburg and Union counties, ten stores were shuttered by 2012. Seven stores remain open. These stores lack pharmacies. Bloom attempted to be upscale with a focus on quality, service and technology. The remaining stores usually have very few cars as nearby competitors have filled parking lots.

I think Lowe's Foods has run its course across the Charlotte region. It should make wise decisions entering the upstate South Carolina region.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:19 PM

8,035 posts, read 10,626,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
There's something very weird going on with Lowes Foods. They ran out of Shelby where the only competition was Ingles, a couple of Food Lions & an independent.
Oh, and um, the Wal-mart Supercenter.

Lowes came in and replaced a popular Harris Teeter in Shelby - the Lowes store and selection was not half as nice as Harris Teeter, yet the prices were just as high. Shelby is a mainly lower-income town, save for the Doctors and Lawyers who live right around the country club area where the Harris Teeter was. The low income people never could afford the Harris Teeter in the first place, and the richies were unhappy with the Lowes that replaced it. Harris Teeter made no secret of the fact that they were leaving Shelby for the Ballantyne area of Charlotte where their "target" i.e. "upper income" market is. Not sure why Lowes tried to make a go of it in the first place.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Oh, and um, the Wal-mart Supercenter.

Lowes came in and replaced a popular Harris Teeter in Shelby - the Lowes store and selection was not half as nice as Harris Teeter, yet the prices were just as high. Shelby is a mainly lower-income town, save for the Doctors and Lawyers who live right around the country club area where the Harris Teeter was. The low income people never could afford the Harris Teeter in the first place, and the richies were unhappy with the Lowes that replaced it. Harris Teeter made no secret of the fact that they were leaving Shelby for the Ballantyne area of Charlotte where their "target" i.e. "upper income" market is. Not sure why Lowes tried to make a go of it in the first place.
I didn't mention Aldi either. Wal-Mart & Aldi on east Dixon aren't near to the former Harris Teeter/former Lowes Foods on east Marion. People in Charlotte know that Wal-Mart is omnipresent.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:48 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times
Since it's a Gaston thread, I'll comment visiting Gabe's today at New Hope & Franklin. The parking lot was full and plenty of people were shopping - but I didn't "get it". The prices didn't seem any better than other big box places and it's mostly the same imported Chinese bric-a-brac. I suppose I shouldn't criticize too much, at least someone was willing to invest in central Gastonia.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
Since it's a Gaston thread, I'll comment visiting Gabe's today at New Hope & Franklin. The parking lot was full and plenty of people were shopping - but I didn't "get it". The prices didn't seem any better than other big box places and it's mostly the same imported Chinese bric-a-brac. I suppose I shouldn't criticize too much, at least someone was willing to invest in central Gastonia.
I'm waiting for the rush to die down. I like Hamricks & will give Gabes a shot.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:53 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,424,571 times
Publix is a comin'! It's only taken 30 yrs but it is here in Charlotte, Matthews, and expanding rapidly to the mountains and to the Research Triangle, too! I'm getting a 2-story Publix in Cotswold! I hope I live long enough to see it open across the street from the Harris Teeter!
As for Aldi's, IMHO, I'd rather eat Beneful than shop there. I have been there and done that, when they first arrived in Matthews and Union Co, and the only things I would ever consider buying again from Aldi are milk and maybe yogurt, and butter.
Publix...where shopping is a pleasure (esp for us peeps who grew up shopping there)! Try the guava & cheese pastellas...they are to die for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte