U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 09:34 AM

3,325 posts, read 4,541,461 times

Advertisements

An interesting thing happened to me while I was getting my car inspected and I feel compelled to share it. Bare with me:

In late November, I went to get my car inspected at an independent inspection station on South Boulevard. It failed inspection because the light over the license plate wasn't working and my back drivers side tire had bubbles in it. I looked at the tire and thought it didn't look that bad but didn't pay that close attention because as "luck" would have it, I needed to replace my front right tire which at that time was my spare.

I had purchased these tires (Bridgestone Duelers) from Firestone in the Arboretum in June 2006 and put about 25,000 miles on them. I had purchased an extended warranty on the tires that cost me $64. I was covered for 60,000 miles. When I was told my back left tire had bubbles in it, I figured I would be covered. However, this isn't the main issue.

I went to Firestone to get the light fixed and the tire replaced. Of course, they wanted to look at it for themselves so they told me they would inspect all of the tires and fix the light and then give me a passed inspection sticker and all would be well. If the tire was unsafe it would be replaced at no cost because I had the extended warranty. They had to keep the car overnight as I didn't get there till 4pm. I was cool with this and told them to call me when they are done. The next morning I get a call saying my car is done so I go and pick it up. They fixed the light and inspected my car and passed it. I asked about the tires and they said they were fine and it was noted on the inspection report that they had passed.

Last week, I finally went back to Firestone to get the front right tire replaced (NOT the one that failed inspection). It was my fault that the original tire was damaged because I ran over something that shredded it. I had them put the spare tire back under my car and to put the new tire in its place. They said no problem and would call me when it's done. They called me about 4 hours later saying I needed TWO tires; the front right one and the back left one (The one that DID fail the original inspection!!). They said that it is warped. I called and asked if it was unsafe and they said it could be. Well, now I was angry as I was driving on an unsafe tire and I now have a newborn. I informed them that they had inspected this same tire two weeks earlier and said it was fine AFTER another inspector at a different location said it wasn't. I know they didn't look at it whatsoever!!! Just throw a pass sticker on the window and let them go.

Anyway, they didn't charge me for the tire because the guy who was ringing me up wanted to get the heck out of there, but I did get charged all those little fees to put the tire on (almost $30 in total). The manager had left and I was ready to fight but since the guy was taking it off without any proof that I had a warranty, I figured I would just let it alone right there. My issue is the inspection part. They didn't do squat but they charged me for it!! The more I think about it, the more pissed off I get. Here I had a legitimate issue with a tire they installed and was warrantied for, but they didn't want to even bother to look and possibly give me a new one for free so they just said here is your pass sticker your tires are fine, have a nice day!

Has anyone encountered something like this or with Firestone?? I will never go there again and encourage others to watch these guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 09:44 AM

533 posts, read 1,640,311 times
i have had issues with that firestone location as well, i now use the one in ballantyne. i had taken my car to the aboretum location for an oil change and came back the next day for it and they couldn't find my paperwork and key and it wasn't in the computer that it was done. after about a half hour of searching, they found the paperwork and key on top of the fridge in the back. so they go to change the oil while i wait. the guy comes back in and says the key doesnt work. so i go to him to the car to see and he was trying to get in someone else's car. apparently they had my key switched with someone elses so the paperwork was incorrect. they switched it back and changed my oil. they just couldn't get it right and so we don't go there anymore. i'm not surprised you had issues with them as well.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:40 AM

531 posts, read 1,865,097 times
I stopped using any Firestones all together. They often try to take advantage of female drivers. They have charged me different prices on the same service depending on who rings you out. One time an oil change was $24.95 the next time 19.99 and the third time they tried 34.95. I have had to bring back the car to have same problem fixed several times. I personally made a complaint with the BBB about them.

On another note....I grew up in a house of mechanics and have a good idea what is wrong with my car before I go in. The last time I was at Firestone I brought my car in for an oil change. The ended up telling me I needed over $2000 worth of work to my car and that it was unsafe. What they did not know was my brother who is a certified mechanic had recently replaced most of which they were claiming was wrong. The dust had not even settled on most of the parts! They followed that up by telling me it would be $75 to replace the air filter...just in labor time...I took my car and left to return with my brother, and he made them put it up on the lift to show him. (yes he was playing stupid man at this point, not mechanic) They proceeded to go over everything on the paper and when they were finished he handed them his lawyers business card and advised them that he would contact their parent company to report their actions. Needless to say we were given a formal apology from the company, but I still own't trust them even with a 10 speed!

Old 01-11-2008, 11:57 AM

3,325 posts, read 4,541,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandevder View Post
I stopped using any Firestones all together. They often try to take advantage of female drivers. They have charged me different prices on the same service depending on who rings you out. One time an oil change was $24.95 the next time 19.99 and the third time they tried 34.95. I have had to bring back the car to have same problem fixed several times. I personally made a complaint with the BBB about them.

On another note....I grew up in a house of mechanics and have a good idea what is wrong with my car before I go in. The last time I was at Firestone I brought my car in for an oil change. The ended up telling me I needed over $2000 worth of work to my car and that it was unsafe. What they did not know was my brother who is a certified mechanic had recently replaced most of which they were claiming was wrong. The dust had not even settled on most of the parts! They followed that up by telling me it would be $75 to replace the air filter...just in labor time...I took my car and left to return with my brother, and he made them put it up on the lift to show him. (yes he was playing stupid man at this point, not mechanic) They proceeded to go over everything on the paper and when they were finished he handed them his lawyers business card and advised them that he would contact their parent company to report their actions. Needless to say we were given a formal apology from the company, but I still own't trust them even with a 10 speed!
Yikes. Not surprising. I don't believe they ever do the old "Safety Check" anyway but you end up paying for it.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:56 PM

2 posts, read 19,249 times
Default avoid firestone ballantyne

Another female victim to firestone here. This one is in Ballantyne. They tried to convince me my tire was unrepairable as the treads were falling off, when I drove it in almost completely flat. I did not see what he was talking about, and told him that, but I was stuck there with a flat undrivable tire. Fortunately for me they did not have my tire or a comparable one in stock. They charged me $25 to change the tire to the spare. The next day I drove my car to the dealership who evaluated the tire and said there was a hole in the middle of the tire and patched it for $19.95, and no issues with the treads whatsoever. I'm lucky they didn't have my tire in stock as it is about a $300 tire. I'm avoiding all Firestone stores in the future.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:03 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,049,329 times
Exactly why I will treat my children like my father treated me, and how my grandfather treated my mother (I come from a long line of mechanics):

I was not allowed to get my license until I could remove the flat tire and install the spare, in the dark mind you.
20+ years later, I can change a flat in 3 minutes in a suit & tie and barely get my hands dirty.

Shops will rip you off if you cannot perform the bare basics.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 19,249 times
Yes I suppose a 5'0 110 pound woman should be able to change the tire on an oversized SUV in heels in 100 degree heat. My bad for trusting that an auto shop wouldn't try to take advantage of me...I guess they saw me coming and I got what I deserved, huh?

Old 09-03-2010, 05:28 AM

587 posts, read 1,434,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagb View Post
Yes I suppose a 5'0 110 pound woman should be able to change the tire on an oversized SUV in heels in 100 degree heat. My bad for trusting that an auto shop wouldn't try to take advantage of me...I guess they saw me coming and I got what I deserved, huh?

Defensive much?? I didn't see any disrespect in Mullman's comment. He was referring to his family and what they do to avoid being taken advantage of. That isn't anywhere in the ballpark of "You got what you deserved". Not even close.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:36 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,734,638 times
Um, this thread is two years old.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:52 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,927,904 times
An old thread and yet an interesting one. I used to go to the Firestone at Arboretum because it was convenient. I had been going there for 8+ years. I had "new brakes' installed 18 months ago and then 3 months ago they started squeaking. I took my car down there and was told I needed new brakes. I told them the existing ones were still under warrantee and they told me they had no record of ever installing new brakes. I raised hell until, shockingly, they suddenly had a record of replacing my brakes. They "reinstalled" them for "free". never, ever again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or