Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 02:45 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Either way,who celebrates shooting a child or a teenager. Not a normal human being. Not saying the boy was right. He probably deserved to get shot,but he's still a child period.

Btw officers a taught to shoot "center mass" right? In other words shoot to kill. Why do you think this officer didn't? Could it be because no human being wants to kill a child?
I see 4 questions.

1. Non Sequitur - I didn't address this at all. Take it up with whoever you are speaking about. However I will say that people are sick and tired of all the violence and it causes them to say things they don't mean.
  2. Not just cops. If you pull a gun on someone, it should be for the purpose of killing them. A gun isn't a toy, a gun isn't a warning device, a gun isn't something you carry around to demonstrate manhood. It's only for killing. Cops understand this and take no chances with someone threatening them with a gun.
  3. I have no idea. I wasn't there.
  4. I disagree that a teenager carrying a gun at night is a "child". You are using the term to elicit sympathy for young thug's bad choices and lack of proper upbringing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 04:46 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
And the officer will prbably receive a medal at some point because of this incident.
Why?

Old 03-09-2015, 06:24 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,210,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
You make everything cut and dry. YOu must have never been young, or had teenagers. Now factor in that this teen probably had no sort of upbringing at all, but yea it's all his fault. This cycle needs to stop. Its not going to come from the government. It could come from the churches, if they were Christ center preached the word, and was worried about what was going on in their local community.

Its so easy to sit back, and say yeah thug got what he deserved, but what does that solve? Nothing. The cycle just continues.

Are you really trying to defend thug life behavior like this? I cannot fathom how you would feel if this upstanding teen had shot a relative or friend of yours with his irresponsible gunplay.

This kid is lucky he didn't get killed by the cop who was fully justified in the shooting.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:25 AM

370 posts, read 543,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
AND...if this 'kid' had shot and killed the police officer, you can bet your last dollar he'd be tried as an 'adult'.
I am more shocked that there are still people in Charlotte who this 'kids at parties having guns' is shocking to! Seriously??? Do you not watch the news here nightly or know what is happening in Charlotte and our neighboring cities? I call Charlotte, 'Miami Poquito....Little Miami' now. We are quickly getting up there on the exact same crime levels that I left in 1986. Nightly murders, home invasions at least weekly, and last week multiple scene/multiple murders all related to 'drugs until proven otherwise', gang killings of City Govt officials, women held as sexual slaves...WAKE UP, people!
You don't get to grow and bring only the 'good' things to the area and NOT get with it a TON of the 'bad'. It is all right here in Charlotte today and it is going to stay! It's not just some 'sad' kids, in a bad neighborhood, at a party with guns...this is everywhere!
Your post is factually inaccurate to the point that I'm annoyed I have to post a rebuttal. But our crime rates are at historically low rates, across the board. Simply doing basic research will show you this:

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Carolina.html

Violent and non-violent crime rates have nearly been cut in half since 2000, during a time period where the city has added close to 300,000 people. Turn Fox News off and go outside.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:32 AM

370 posts, read 543,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Where does one draw the line between adult and child? There are many children who have committed heinous crimes. Is age the sole determination between child and adult? Or should the actions of a person determine if they are acting as a child or an adult? Running around with a firearm is an adult activity. Had this person not been shot for refusing to drop his gun, what would he have done with his gun? How many people would have been shot, robbed, or violated otherwise? But he's just a child. Children don't carry firearms. Period.

(None of this applies to hunting or children who are using firearms while properly supervised by a responsible adult)
I think you are missing the point. Most of us on here angry with the OP aren't frustrated with the circumstances of the actual encounter. By all accounts, it appears the officer was in the right and I (I won't speak for others) am happy that no one else got hurt.

The issue is that this is a tragedy....across the board. This isn't a time to "cheer" a bad guy off the street. 14 is a child, I don't care what he is up to. Even at the most basic biological level, a 14 year old has not physically developed the critical thinking capability of an adult. And while I absolutely agree that a 14 year old knows right from wrong, the commentary here should not be "this kid was stupid and deserved to be shot", it should be "what kind of environment has this child been raised in that puts him in this position, and what are we doing to prevent it in the future".

No one should find comfort in an officer having to shoot a child. Gun or not.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:55 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Cleveland mike was born with a halo. Never ever did anything stupid. Anytime you cheer someone getting shot it shows a lot about your character. Let alone a 14 year old. I know when I was 12-20 years of age I did some real stupid things. Was it was a gun no. I flipped a car doing 75 down a two lane road. That's just one example I have many others. I'm sure cleveland mike stands and cheers when he see teenagers killed in car crashes to. Afterall they were acting stupid, what good are they. Teens and young adults do stupid stuff, and sometimes that stupid stuff gets them seriously hurt or killed. When it happens its tragic, and should never be celebrated.
Stupidity is one thing, this was downright danger. It's a shame that the cop had to shoot at the kid, and kudos to the cop for not killing him, but the kid was warned and suffered the consequences. He's lucky he's alive because had it not been for the skill of the cop, he and others could be dead.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:59 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,931,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Either way,who celebrates shooting a child or a teenager. Not a normal human being. Not saying the boy was right. He probably deserved to get shot,but he's still a child period.

Btw officers a taught to shoot "center mass" right? In other words shoot to kill. Why do you think this officer didn't? Could it be because no human being wants to kill a child?

Officer are taught to neutralize the threat as quickly as possible with as few shots as needed. Center mass is the quickest and safest way to do that. Also it is the biggest target, shooting limbs or other specfic body parts is only done in the movies. The officer aimed center mass and missed, due to the high stress and most likely moving target. This is a common occurrence with police shootings. 70% of bullets fired by officers miss their intended target and that is a generous stat. That % was down more towards 18% for NYPD between 98-06. CMPD training is not much different. Range and simulator time help but nothing can prepare them for the immediate possibility of hot lead coming back at them, hence missed shots. Child vs. adult has no bearing in the officer's mind, what is going through his head is: Holy ****, this person could shot me.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:14 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,584,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Are you really trying to defend thug life behavior like this? I cannot fathom how you would feel if this upstanding teen had shot a relative or friend of yours with his irresponsible gunplay.

This kid is lucky he didn't get killed by the cop who was fully justified in the shooting.
No you must not be able to comprehend. I'm saying he is a foolish kid. He did a foolish action, but he is still a kid. I'm sick of people being happy that another person gets killed. It does nothing to solve the problem.

The lack of compassion for other people is sickening. These same people who cheer, a thugs death, are some of the first people to chime in, on a church thread, when someone new is looking for a church. I question what is being preached in these churches for folks to hate such hate in their hearts.

If you call that defending behavior than so be it.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:17 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,584,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Stupidity is one thing, this was downright danger. It's a shame that the cop had to shoot at the kid, and kudos to the cop for not killing him, but the kid was warned and suffered the consequences. He's lucky he's alive because had it not been for the skill of the cop, he and others could be dead.
It was downright dangerous when I was speeding I almost took out another car. I'm not trying to defend the kids actions. He had a gun didn't drop it, deserved to get shot. All I'm saying is, he is a kid. Lets not cheer and be happy the kid was shot. Like Cleveland mike is doing. That's sickening, and makes you less of a human in my book.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:57 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,551,719 times
I am extremely Happy that the Cop, which BTW you and many here HATE, did not get shot by the PUNK holding a LOADED GUN. He did not drop the gun....why? He hates Cops too, just like you - Tread. The Cop should be presented with a 10k Gold plated Ruger 9mm for serving and protecting. A party afterwards would be AWESOME. The parents should open a can of wooparse on "Boy Wonder".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte