U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 07:10 AM

44,344 posts, read 17,716,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Now, it's absolutely possible for the first kid to mess things up, or for the second kid to succeed....but let's not pretend that it's an even playing field and that the odds are the same
I don't think anyone ever made this claim. Furthermore if life were completely fair on this planet, all of us would have a whole lot less. With that said, any citizen in the USA has far more opportunities available than most anyone in the rest of the world. It's a place were you can make it to the top by hard work. It's a place where millions are making hugely dangerous journeys to get into this country illegally just so they can have the opportunities available to this teenager.

The fact of the matter is that a armed 14-15 year old running around at night on North Tryon isn't taking advantage of these opportunities, and I blame it on the parents. (or lack there of) One can only hope that getting shot by the police at this age might wake that family up to where this is headed and put that teenager on a different path. Otherwise we know where this will end up, and it's not because he wasn't raised in Myers Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 07:58 AM

29,710 posts, read 27,143,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I don't think anyone ever made this claim.
ClevelandMike essentially did. Now less opportunity doesn't necessarily lead to a life of crime--it often doesn't--but claiming that everyone has access to the same opportunities flies in the face of logic.

Quote:
The fact of the matter is that a armed 14-15 year old running around at night on North Tryon isn't taking advantage of these opportunities, and I blame it on the parents. (or lack there of) One can only hope that getting shot by the police at this age might wake that family up to where this is headed and put that teenager on a different path. Otherwise we know where this will end up, and it's not because he wasn't raised in Myers Park.
Agreed. At 14, I wasn't thinking in terms of opportunities as we think of it as adults and it's up to his family to steer him in the right direction. Hopefully things will change after this incident, and for the better.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:27 AM

830 posts, read 1,315,208 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone ever made this claim. Furthermore if life were completely fair on this planet, all of us would have a whole lot less. With that said, any citizen in the USA has far more opportunities available than most anyone in the rest of the world. It's a place were you can make it to the top by hard work. It's a place where millions are making hugely dangerous journeys to get into this country illegally just so they can have the opportunities available to this teenager.

That is exactly the point. The playing field isn't level...one can't blame the parents in one breath, and then claim equal opportunity in the next....because if it was truly equal opportunities, then the parents wouldn't matter.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
That is exactly the point. The playing field isn't level......
It's irrelevant. That is my point. Everyone has the same opportunity to succeed or fail in life. This isn't society's fault.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:51 AM

21,872 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
CMPD officer shoots teen who refused to drop gun | The Charlotte Observer The Charlotte Observer

Another teen with a gun and they say, many of them at party had them. Parents of Thugs, your teens have guns??? Way to go CMPD Officer, you deserve a RAISE and a dozen boxes of ammo!
The cop did the right thing. The kid got lucky. That said, as usual, you seem to be trying to inflame people by posting your views with a nasty tone.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:03 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,780,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post
Your post is factually inaccurate to the point that I'm annoyed I have to post a rebuttal. But our crime rates are at historically low rates, across the board. Simply doing basic research will show you this:

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Carolina.html

Violent and non-violent crime rates have nearly been cut in half since 2000, during a time period where the city has added close to 300,000 people. Turn Fox News off and go outside.
This!

Old 03-11-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
However I will say that people are sick and tired of all the violence and it causes them to say things they don't mean.
Nope. Words matter. No one gets a pass on what they say. Not Cleveland Mike, not Al Sharpton, not you, not me.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
. No one gets a pass on what they say....
Thank you for your opinion, but this has nothing to do with my post that you quoted. Try reading it again and figuring out the context. You will eventually figure it out.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:57 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,169,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
"American teen thugs"? You need to be more specific than that but as stlterp pointed out, a kid from the 'hood simply doesn't have access to the same opportunity as a kid from an upscale neighborhood. For starters, he probably attends a school with less resources and crappy teachers. None of this means that such a kid is destined to be involved in criminal activity nor is it an excuse for such, but it surely increases the odds. Your equality of opportunity argument is just not based in reality.

Speculation is what fills your head with garbage. Public school resources and crappy teachers ? Try making up something else. The punk knows right from wrong - regardless of where he lives. Can't wait to hear your next excuse for this punks behavior. All kids have the same opportunities, there decisions on what to do with these opportunities is what matters. A good example of someone being raised in a poor environment and making the best of what they had by taking advantage of these opportunities to become
a successful neurosurgeon, is Dr. Ben Carson. You believe Punk Boy is on the same track as Dr. Carson?

Old 03-11-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your opinion, but this has nothing to do with my post that you quoted. Try reading it again and figuring out the context.
No thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte