Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:31 PM

672 posts, read 1,830,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytarheel View Post
jack, i do think the building will stop in those areas simply because I think Charlotte will be extremely crowded in 5 years and their simply wont be any land left to build new communities in.
This is true, when the land has run out, so have the builders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 04:37 PM

40 posts, read 95,160 times
The reality is that anything will sell for the right price (or more with the right hype?). What homebuyers need to realize is that, when purchasing a home built by a less reputable builder, they run the risk of having to begin making costly repairs much sooner than would be the case with a quality builder. How this affects the resale market becomes clear when the home inspection is done and the buyer and seller both have to face the fact that the home is not really worth what they thought it was and one of them will have to take it on the chin.

What concerns me a great deal about our current building "boom" is that the quality of construction is being overlooked in favor of more square footage or "upgrades" like a different color paint or carpet. If we're not careful, we may find ourselves left with "disposable" housing, just like everything else in our society.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:35 PM

672 posts, read 1,830,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawlover View Post
The reality is that anything will sell for the right price (or more with the right hype?). What homebuyers need to realize is that, when purchasing a home built by a less reputable builder, they run the risk of having to begin making costly repairs much sooner than would be the case with a quality builder. How this affects the resale market becomes clear when the home inspection is done and the buyer and seller both have to face the fact that the home is not really worth what they thought it was and one of them will have to take it on the chin.

What concerns me a great deal about our current building "boom" is that the quality of construction is being overlooked in favor of more square footage or "upgrades" like a different color paint or carpet. If we're not careful, we may find ourselves left with "disposable" housing, just like everything else in our society.
I agree with a lot of your points. Also worth noting though that since these homes come with warranties it is most likely that the first owner will not face many costly repairs. When the house starts to go sour though and the second owner comes in, he may have a lot of unexpected repairs if the house starts falling apart.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:43 PM

92 posts, read 317,899 times
The most impact on a particular home price will be how well the owner of that home took care of it. You can take a well designed home in any price range and throw a unconcerned lazy homeowner in it and see that home go to seed....It's just awful how some people treat their homes. I got a gal up the street who has a 100 year old colonial, no more than 1000 sq. ft who has that place fixed up to the point it brings the 4500 sq. foot home beside it looking like a heap of trash.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:16 AM

367 posts, read 1,028,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
I have heard wishy washy things about Mccar homes, but I love some of their floor plans. Also, I own a KB Home and we have had some problems. I have heard nothing but good things about MI homes, St. Lawrence homes, Ryan homes, and Khovnanian homes, etc.
We bought an MI home, they have issues as well. The finish work is some of the worst I have seen. Dry wall, trim, painting is all really low quality work. I mean how hard is it to use a square??? Don't get me wrong, they are not all bad, but MI is far from a good builder.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:23 AM

19 posts, read 24,178 times
I would say the same about our builder. They are not on that list, yet still a popular area builder. It is disgusting how badly the homes are built, and that it was allowed!

Old 02-04-2008, 12:00 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
This is true, when the land has run out, so have the builders
Not necessarily, builders are now knocking down older homes & neighborhoods & erecting new ones in their place.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:03 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDS75 View Post
I would say the same about our builder. They are not on that list, yet still a popular area builder. It is disgusting how badly the homes are built, and that it was allowed!
Unfortunately, sometimes a particular neighborhood gets a bad/less experienced work crew and supervisors - but overall MI has built some really nice, sturdy homes in Charlotte. I'm sorry you had a problem!

Old 02-04-2008, 12:13 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Not necessarily, builders are now knocking down older homes & neighborhoods & erecting new ones in their place.
No kidding - I have been watching this for five years and find it all quite disconcerting. Have you noticed that $1 M house right on Carmel road w/ the brick fence - now under construction? We cannot believe that is spec house but it has a for sale sign out front. We have seen so much being torn down along Carmel. That particular house - we wonder if someone's loan fell through. Just can't believe a builder has done a spec house at that particular spot in that price range.

Tearing down homes is no longer unusual it appears. Carmel is a super location but I would want in the Country Club if I were gonna spent that kind of $$$$.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:13 PM

185 posts, read 583,026 times
About MI homes : A few years ago on our house quest we drove through many ,many ,many ,neighborhoods. I cannot recall the development, it was MI . BUT what I do recall was A VERY UPSET man, literally running out of his home when we drove up to the model located right next door . WHY was he running out? To beg of us not to buy from this builder. He gave us an earfull.
We felt bad form him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte