U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 10:16 AM

19 posts, read 16,531 times

Advertisements

Hi thanks for reading
I am in my 20s and wanted to relocate. I am currently finishing up my 2nd year of college and have job experiences in preschool, human services field.. I am living in Va working a min wage job trying to go to school at the same time and living on my own. I wanted to move after I finished my bachelors but I was just not going to make it! There's nothing here to offer me
Soo I was deciding on a few places to relocate
My first choice was va beach I have a family member there after doing lots of research it seems okay but very expensive and I don't think I would be able to get a job

So I there's are saying go south to the Carolina's. All of my high school friends have relocated to some part of NC! What is it?? How are the jobs? What's so special ! I've only visited greensboro before and It just looked so country to me I guess bc I stayed in one area.
What parts have beaches?? I really want to be ocean front or possibly very close to a beach..
Also what about the colleges? I wanted to take up social work.

My fiancé would be coming with me and he's a felon.. Is there any chance he would be Able to get a job?! You can be honest he had experience in cooking/restaurant and construction/renovation

Any advice would be helpful!!
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 10:34 AM

11,229 posts, read 19,679,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLovr20 View Post
My first choice was va beach I have a family member there after doing lots of research it seems okay but very expensive and I don't think I would be able to get a job

So I there's are saying go south to the Carolina's. All of my high school friends have relocated to some part of NC! What is it?? How are the jobs? What's so special ! I've only visited greensboro before and It just looked so country to me I guess bc I stayed in one area.
What parts have beaches?? I really want to be ocean front or possibly very close to a beach..
The job market is competitive enough in North Carolina that I suggest finishing the bachelor's degree where you are. If you expect to find a job in Social Work, I also suggest getting a Master's degree first. There are numerous local candidates that you will be competing with.

BTW, Virginia Beach is expensive because it is desirable and close to the ocean. The North Carolina coast is also expensive because it is desirable. You could do some reading in the Coastal North Carolina sub-forum.

BTW, much of North Carolina is "country", except for the larger cities. Perhaps you can plan a trip to see if you really like it. People are moving here because of better weather and lower taxes.

The majority of new jobs are going to be in the larger cities: Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham and the Greensboro/Winston-Salem areas. Closer to the beach, you might find jobs in Wilmington, Jacksonville or Greenville. Perhaps you could also research Myrtle Beach South Carolina.

Your fiance might have some luck finding a restaurant job in the coastal areas.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-12-2015 at 11:45 AM..

Old 03-12-2015, 10:36 AM

10,389 posts, read 19,353,192 times
Quote:
So I there's are saying go south to the Carolina's. All of my high school friends have relocated to some part of NC! What is it??
What is what??

Quote:
How are the jobs?
Depends on what industry, your experience and what part of the state. That's a very general question. The state is not monolithic; one end is very different from the other an all in between (just like Virginia).

Quote:
What's so special !
You should probably ask that to the people who are telling you to move here, since they are the ones giving that impression?

Quote:
Are you serious? Do you not know how to use a map? Hint: the blue is ocean; beaches are by the ocean. (Hint #2: EAST)

Quote:
You might Google "social work programs in NC" and read about the offerings on the colleges' websites.

Quote:
My fiancé would be coming with me and he's a felon.. Is there any chance he would be Able to get a job?! You can be honest he had experience in cooking/restaurant and construction/renovation
He would probably eventually be able to find a job, but he shouldn't move here until at least one of you landed a job to support you both.

Quote:
I honestly don't comprehend how you can be in Virginia and not know how to find where the beaches are in NC.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:01 AM

19 posts, read 16,531 times
We'll thanks for the info I guess..
No the beach in VA is well known and has nothing to do with a totally different state that I know nothing about.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
We'll thanks for the info I guess..
No the beach in VA is well known and has nothing to do with a totally different state that I know nothing about.
Hint: both states are on the east coast of the USA. North Carolina's beaches cover about 350 miles of coast in the eastern part of the state. Eastern NC is a lot more rural, with only a few cities of any size: Wilmington, Greenville and Jacksonville. Fayetteville and Rocky Mount are 1-1.5 hours drive from the coast. Raleigh and Durham are 2-2.5 hours from the coast. Charlotte is 3.5 hours from the ocean at Myrtle Beach, SC.

If you are considering transferring to a public college, you will have to live in the state for a year before becoming eligible for in-state tuition. So, you should plan on finding jobs first before applying to colleges.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I am currently finishing up my 2nd year of college and have job experiences in preschool, human services field..
Have you scoped out the potential jobs available with 2 years of college? For example, here are a couple of teacher's aide jobs in the Wilmington area, near beaches:

Vacancy Details - North Carolina Public School Jobs
Vacancy Details - North Carolina Public School Jobs

Careers | AAIPharma | Cambridge Major Labs
https://phoenixchildrensacademy-open...obBoardId=3338

Old 03-12-2015, 08:17 PM

Location: NOT in the Land of lollipops & unicorns...I live in reality.
1,019 posts, read 944,768 times
Quote:
Haha how rude!!
You cannot see the forest for the trees, hopefully because you are VERY YOUNG. Don't drop your college and do NOT pack your bags (and felon BFs) to move. You will be making the biggest mistake of your few years on the Earth and that will send you into a tailspin that you may not every recover from (esp since you seem to have poor Google and map skills in VA).
You only chose to hear what you wanted to and THAT right there is a sign of immaturity, of which is common to kids in college. Your 20s are for getting a college education and a FULL one (Masters, PhD) these days, even for RNs and Social Workers. They are also for finding out who you are and what you want to do with your life. I'd personally ditch the felon BF. He will only be 'dead weight' to you always as 'society' will not be so apt to give him a chance. That is not to say it cannot happen, just the odds are not in his favor and this can't be what you want for your significant other or kids. I highly doubt you'll be finding 'beachfront property' to live at in NC, even in Wilmington. Get educated then travel and find a new home.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
... I'd personally ditch the felon BF. He will only be 'dead weight' to you always as 'society' will not be so apt to give him a chance...
Amen. I wanted to say that too.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:07 PM

21,872 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Quote:
Hi thanks for reading
I am in my 20s and wanted to relocate. I am currently finishing up my 2nd year of college and have job experiences in preschool, human services field.. I am living in Va working a min wage job trying to go to school at the same time and living on my own. I wanted to move after I finished my bachelors but I was just not going to make it! There's nothing here to offer me
Soo I was deciding on a few places to relocate

Thank you
A map would answer your question about where the beaches are. As I have told many people, a map is your friend. A map might also explain some of the answers that you've gotten that you didn't like. This is the Charlotte board. Find Charlotte on the map & then explain to us why you're asking us about living at the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte