U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-13-2015, 09:33 AM
 
Location: In the hot spot!
3,390 posts, read 4,781,071 times
Reputation: 3186

Advertisements

To the OP, I understand your financial concerns. I made the opposite move mamy years ago leaving Charlotte for a job in Phoenix. I really think your family, once settled, will enjoy living in Charlotte. True, it is about three hours from the beach and two from the mountains, but it's still closer than driving six hours to get to the beaches in California (three for Mexico), or five to Vegas or four to the Grand Canyon! I miss Charlotte and hope to move back one day soon. Remember, once you leave the desert, leave the comparisons between the two places because they are polar opposites. Good luck with your relocation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-13-2015, 10:12 AM
 
527 posts, read 636,838 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankh82 View Post
Thanks for your reply. So what do you think i should expect as far as commute time for that price and decent schools? Also, Arizona is fairly low in ratings as far as schools are concerned. I am assuming that an 8 school here is not the same as an 8 school there. What is your take on that?
The schools in Union County are good (although there is always the threat of redistricting so you just have to have that in mind) as are the schools just over the border in SC. I live south of town so I can't really speak to the schools in Charlotte proper, mint hill, north of town, etc.

My guess is that you'll be looking at an hour commute but Charlotte is still growing and the areas with the best schools are in the highest demand so traffic continues to get worse. It slowed during the recession but development has picked back up.

Not to take this thread off topic, but... Like I said, I live to the South of town in the Western part of Union County (Waxhaw) and if I had to do it over again I would probably move to Mint Hill, Huntersville, or more towards the Eastern side of Union County. Waxhaw, Weddington, and Marvin are OVER RUN with northerners. Not that there's anything wrong with that but if I wanted to live in Brooklyn I would have moved there. They are nice enough people but it's just a different culture and vibe than what I'm used to and prefer.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2015, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
1,764 posts, read 2,740,545 times
Reputation: 1160
Maybe we don't have to be too pessimistic. Here is a house for rent for $1450 in Olde Providence - an area with excellent schools and not to far from her work.

Houses For Rent - 3 Homes | Zillow

OP could also move to an area with mediocre schools and apply to magnets the following year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2015, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 4,789,201 times
Reputation: 3413
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Maybe we don't have to be too pessimistic. Here is a house for rent for $1450 in Olde Providence - an area with excellent schools and not to far from her work.

Houses For Rent - 3 Homes | Zillow

OP could also move to an area with mediocre schools and apply to magnets the following year.
That is a deal for that location!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2015, 12:40 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,894 posts, read 27,173,603 times
Reputation: 8966
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankh82 View Post
No, my family is intact. Dad is coming too. He just won't have a job off the bat and i don't want to put my littlest in daycare so that limits what he can do right now. I have no car payment or much debt other than student loans.
What type of work will your husband be looking for? If you have to move further out, some areas could be better for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2015, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 4,789,201 times
Reputation: 3413
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
What type of work will your husband be looking for? If you have to move further out, some areas could be better for him.
The husband is planning on staying at home with baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2015, 12:59 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,894 posts, read 27,173,603 times
Reputation: 8966
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
The husband is planning on staying at home with baby.
She said that that would limit him for right now. I take it that he might be looking for part-time. That's why I asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2015, 01:07 PM
 
199 posts, read 233,863 times
Reputation: 108
@ ankh82 If you want I can search online to find a home that is near decent schools and a short commute to CMC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2015, 03:47 PM
 
19 posts, read 19,357 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
To the OP, I understand your financial concerns. I made the opposite move mamy years ago leaving Charlotte for a job in Phoenix. I really think your family, once settled, will enjoy living in Charlotte. True, it is about three hours from the beach and two from the mountains, but it's still closer than driving six hours to get to the beaches in California (three for Mexico), or five to Vegas or four to the Grand Canyon! I miss Charlotte and hope to move back one day soon. Remember, once you leave the desert, leave the comparisons between the two places because they are polar opposites. Good luck with your relocation.
Thanks. So what do you think about the income thing. Is cost of living about the same (groceries, entertainment, etc)? I keep hearing how expensive Charlotte is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2015, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Tega Cay, SC
537 posts, read 548,974 times
Reputation: 894
Good areas anywhere are not cheap. Charlotte is no different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:29 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top