Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 08:38 PM

19 posts, read 23,335 times

Advertisements

I recently accepted a position paying 56,000/yr. This is significantly less than what I make as an RN in Arizona. (but I understand exchanging my PM bedside job for a 9-5 has some concessions). My lease is up at the end of March and I've given notice, but I am starting to get very anxious when I think about the decision I've made.
I have three children 7,6, and 18 months, we live in a nice 2200 sq/ft home for $1300/mo,they attend an 8/10 rated school, and I am able to put the older two in sports, art,etc. I don't have to put my youngest in daycare as I am able to support a family of 5 comfortably.
My concern is that I will relocate and my quality of life is going to suffer horribly. Basically, I understand I may need to rent a smaller home, but I would prefer to have something over 1700 sq ft and do not want to compromise on school quality. I also want to be able to enjoy the many things Charlotte's location offers, such as the beach and want to be able to take weekend trips away. I don't want life to become some struggle to survive. My question to everyone is how far does 56,000 go there and how much will I have to sacrifice if I really do this. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 08:46 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,561 times
Charlotte is not near the beach. it's a 3-4 hour drive at least, and 3-4 hours to the mountains.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Charlotte is not near the beach. it's a 3-4 hour drive at least, and 3-4 hours to the mountains.
I meant close proximity to things such as that. Kind of like Arizonans go to Cali all the time. Charlotte has lots of opportunities to take day or weekend trips.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:24 AM

142 posts, read 255,597 times
Where exactly will you be working? How far are you willing to commute?

Old 03-13-2015, 05:16 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
On that income you had better have paid off student loans/car and no other debt besides mortgage if you do buy a home.

Are you getting any support for these kiddos or going it alone?

Where you work will depend on where you want to commute from, but the best schools in Charlotte are in South Charlotte area. Or you could always go to Union or Cabarrus County like alot of others do. Fort Mill is also a viable option now.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbutler1 View Post
Where exactly will you be working? How far are you willing to commute?
CMC main campus. The commute time is more important to me. Don't want to spend all my time in a car. I would like a 20- 30 minute commute max. I just need really good schools. My kids are in traditional academy which is an accelerated program here.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
On that income you had better have paid off student loans/car and no other debt besides mortgage if you do buy a home.

Are you getting any support for these kiddos or going it alone?

Where you work will depend on where you want to commute from, but the best schools in Charlotte are in South Charlotte area. Or you could always go to Union or Cabarrus County like alot of others do. Fort Mill is also a viable option now.
No, my family is intact. Dad is coming too. He just won't have a job off the bat and i don't want to put my littlest in daycare so that limits what he can do right now. I have no car payment or much debt other than student loans.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:46 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankh82 View Post
I recently accepted a position paying 56,000/yr. This is significantly less than what I make as an RN in Arizona. (but I understand exchanging my PM bedside job for a 9-5 has some concessions). My lease is up at the end of March and I've given notice, but I am starting to get very anxious when I think about the decision I've made.
I have three children 7,6, and 18 months, we live in a nice 2200 sq/ft home for $1300/mo,they attend an 8/10 rated school, and I am able to put the older two in sports, art,etc. I don't have to put my youngest in daycare as I am able to support a family of 5 comfortably.
My concern is that I will relocate and my quality of life is going to suffer horribly. Basically, I understand I may need to rent a smaller home, but I would prefer to have something over 1700 sq ft and do not want to compromise on school quality. I also want to be able to enjoy the many things Charlotte's location offers, such as the beach and want to be able to take weekend trips away. I don't want life to become some struggle to survive. My question to everyone is how far does 56,000 go there and how much will I have to sacrifice if I really do this. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
I think you're going to have a very hard time finding a large enough house for $1,300/month within 30 minutes (rush hour) of CMC in a great school district. If you do, it will definitely be on the outer edge of that 30 minutes, probably more.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:52 AM

527 posts, read 744,663 times
Honestly, a family of 5 on $56k a year AND good schools AND a short commute AND weekend get-a-ways... in Charlotte, sounds extremely difficult to me. You are going to have to give something up along the way. My guess is it will be a combination of commute and get-a-ways because usually it comes down to schools.

Good luck, once you figure out the financials and logistics, you'll love Charlotte.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Honestly, a family of 5 on $56k a year AND good schools AND a short commute AND weekend get-a-ways... in Charlotte, sounds extremely difficult to me. You are going to have to give something up along the way. My guess is it will be a combination of commute and get-a-ways because usually it comes down to schools.

Good luck, once you figure out the financials and logistics, you'll love Charlotte.

Thanks for your reply. So what do you think i should expect as far as commute time for that price and decent schools? Also, Arizona is fairly low in ratings as far as schools are concerned. I am assuming that an 8 school here is not the same as an 8 school there. What is your take on that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte