Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 03:29 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times

Advertisements

Where I live a membership to Sams is the same as a membership to Costco.

I purchase generic medications at Costco. The money I save on antiacids alone MORE then save me the money I spend on a membership. The cost of gas is also lower then anywhere else in the area.

If you take vitamins, you will be shocked at the price difference. YOu can go into and look around at Costco and make some comparisons. I encourage you to take a list of items with their weights along with you and compare.

On top of it all, its known within the industry that Costco treats their employees better then anyone else. That translates into fabulous customer service.

I have tried BJs and didn't find that it was anything more then a grocery store inside a warehouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 03:44 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Where I live a membership to Sams is the same as a membership to Costco.

I purchase generic medications at Costco. The money I save on antiacids alone MORE then save me the money I spend on a membership. The cost of gas is also lower then anywhere else in the area.

If you take vitamins, you will be shocked at the price difference. YOu can go into and look around at Costco and make some comparisons. I encourage you to take a list of items with their weights along with you and compare.

On top of it all, its known within the industry that Costco treats their employees better then anyone else. That translates into fabulous customer service.

I have tried BJs and didn't find that it was anything more then a grocery store inside a warehouse.
Hi, Lindsey!

Thanks for the post! At Sam's, you can only buy their gas if you have their credit card. Does Costco do that, too, or do they allow you to use any card? Filling up on gas while there doing other shopping is a great idea.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Hi, Lindsey!

Thanks for the post! At Sam's, you can only buy their gas if you have their credit card. Does Costco do that, too, or do they allow you to use any card? Filling up on gas while there doing other shopping is a great idea.
I always use my debit card and as I understand you can pay cash for it beforhand inside the store. I don't think you can use other credit cards at Costco, thats one of the ways they save you money.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
Thanks, Sunny, for re-opening this post. I think there are some important remarks to be made about Sam's and Costco. I for one like the variety of meats and seafood that they carry at Costco. Their frozen dinners are also very good - many of gourmet quality. My husband prefers BJ's - he does the shopping - and says that in the past year they have improved the quality and variety of their food tremendously. I have always argued that Costco does better with upper end cheeses, but he disagrees. But then what can you expect from a man who doesn't like 85% fat brie? Mainly, I firmly support the way Costco treats their employees - health insurance for all and (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, stock options).

Costco seems to me to have a greater variety too. I'd try the walk-through pass if I were you, Ani. I also buy Jones of NY, DKNY and Diane V.F at BJ's. I think there are some things that all of these places carry.
Well, I think I need to do the walk-through. You have convinced me, Barb! And now I am intrigued about DKNY, Jones NY and DVF at BJ's. I had no idea! Dear me. So many decisions.

Oh - and cheese is a very big item in this household, as well!

Old 01-13-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Well, I think I need to do the walk-through. You have convinced me, Barb! And now I am intrigued about DKNY, Jones NY and DVF at BJ's. I had no idea! Dear me. So many decisions.

Oh - and cheese is a very big item in this household, as well!
In my area they offer a free three month membership to BJs, I usually get one of those every once in awhile rather then pay the membership fee.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
In my area they offer a free three month membership to BJs, I usually get one of those every once in awhile rather then pay the membership fee.
Oh, wow! Thank you so much, Lindsey! I will get on their website and google this to see how I can come up w/ a freebie trial membershipl Heck, might as well try all of them out!

BTW - I was in Orlando last weekend and part of this week. We caught some of your city council meeting on TV, and were shocked to hear them say that taxes there are going to really skyrocket. That is the pits. We always thought maybe we would like to have a small house or condo to retire part time (as snow birds, LOL!!!) So cute - we were in Pt. Canaveral and noticed signs saying "Welcome to Our Returning Snowbirds!"

We hit the Prime Outlets and altho we didn't buy much, we kept running into people from UK! Never have seen so many Brits in one spot outside their own country.

We had a great time . . . Thanks for the good info on BJ's, Costco and Sam's!!!

Old 01-13-2008, 04:41 PM

672 posts, read 1,830,435 times
Quote:
I always use my debit card and as I understand you can pay cash for it beforhand inside the store. I don't think you can use other credit cards at Costco, thats one of the ways they save you money.
Actually this is very false. Yes you can use other credit cards at Costco. They accept their credit card, obviously, debit cards, or AMERICAN EXPRESS. That was a big selling point for me as everything we spend goes on AMEX.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:42 PM

672 posts, read 1,830,435 times
Quote:
Oh, wow! Thank you so much, Lindsey! I will get on their website and google this to see how I can come up w/ a freebie trial membershipl Heck, might as well try all of them out!

BTW - I was in Orlando last weekend and part of this week. We caught some of your city council meeting on TV, and were shocked to hear them say that taxes there are going to really skyrocket. That is the pits. We always thought maybe we would like to have a small house or condo to retire part time (as snow birds, LOL!!!) So cute - we were in Pt. Canaveral and noticed signs saying "Welcome to Our Returning Snowbirds!"

We hit the Prime Outlets and altho we didn't buy much, we kept running into people from UK! Never have seen so many Brits in one spot outside their own country.

We had a great time . . . Thanks for the good info on BJ's, Costco and Sam's!!!

well I have a coupon for a free 60 day trial membership at BJ's. I think I have a few so if I find the others I will give one to you.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
Actually this is very false. Yes you can use other credit cards at Costco. They accept their credit card, obviously, debit cards, or AMERICAN EXPRESS. That was a big selling point for me as everything we spend goes on AMEX.
I think your right, they use Amex, but I don't think they accept things like Mastercard and Visa unless its a debit card and in reality they are running it as a debit not a credit card.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:58 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,909,641 times
The only credit card Costxo accepts is AmEx. I believe you can get it without a yearly fee when you sign up for your Costco membership. I forgot about the credit card question. One of the reasons my husband likes BJ's is that they accept Visa and MasterCard. We have Visa and get our frequent flyer miles in this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte