U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 04:36 PM

3 posts, read 5,193 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to the Huntersville area. To date all of my research has been from the internet. However I have planned a trip in March to do some in person research. I was excited when I found this site/forum, there has been some great information out there. I was hoping to get some more info from those of you actually living in the Huntersville area. I'll give you a little background about myself so you might understand the type of info I'm looking for. I'm interested in making the move to NC to get out of the California rate race. I would be moving on my own and am a 29 single female. I like the fact that Huntersville seems to have a strong family atmosphere, but hope there is a single scene too (something besides bars). I originally was looking at purchasing a home. However, I think the smart move for me know would be to rent because of both finances and research on potential neighborhoods would be better after I've lived there for a while. I would also like to get some info on employment and what is considered a decent salary. Can anyone shed some light on these questions? Ultimately if you had a daughter my age would you recommend her moving to this area?

Thanks for any info you've provided. Who knows I may be your neighbor soon!:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2006, 05:12 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,120,818 times
What field of work are you in?

Old 11-07-2006, 05:41 PM

I have a BS degreen Business Administration emphasis in Accounting. I've worked in an office environment specifically in accounting departments for over the the last 5 years. I feel confident I could work in an accounting or administrative job.

Old 11-07-2006, 05:43 PM

Well that about blows things wide open. If I was you I would come in town for a couple of long weekends and maybe look into a townhome. You can get these at a reasonable price and would not be throwing money away on rent.

Have you been to Charlotte at all?

Old 11-09-2006, 04:43 PM

No I haven't been to Charolette yet. I do plan a trip to Huntersville in March. It's only for a few days, but I hope to schedule some possible interviews. At this time I don't know if I would be able to qualify for a loan to even get into a townhome. As of right know I really don't have any extra money for a down payment. Most of the money I have saved was going to cover my moving costs and monthly bills until I find a suitable job. Plus I'm not sure if I could even qualify for a loan with my situation being that I've never owened a home nor will I have an established job history in the Huntersville area.

Old 11-14-2006, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,113 times
Huntersville is a nice town but...well it's not really all that great.

It might be good for you moving on your own, with Charlotte only a short trip away for work and meeting people.

But since moving to Huntersville from New Jersey a year ago I haven't grown to like it much. It's not really a town I would want to raise a family in.

North Carolina is a very nice state though so definitely look into it.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:18 AM

543 posts, read 1,637,254 times
We're recent transplants to Huntersville and agree somewhat with LRCzta09's comments. The town is hard to get involved with from what I can tell but that doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of community activities and other things to do.

I'd have to disagree though with wanting to raise my family here. Our kids love it here so far and we find the schools that they are attending to be superior to the schools that they attended in Massachusetts. We also love it and since we got into a new community we're finding that everyone is in the same position and very willing to be friendly.

Traffic is a drawback but it moves eventually. Just have to give yourself a few extra minutes to get places if you drive at peak times. Nice part is that everything is close by. Highway access is easy, airport is close, shopping, food etc..

Old 11-16-2006, 08:44 AM

24 posts, read 123,090 times
Could you guys elaborate a little on what it is that you consider negatives about the Huntersville area?

We're considering a move off Long Island and Huntersville is a place that has come highly recommended. We have three small children and everything we've heard about the area sounds appealing. But there's nothing like hearing real experiences from people actually living in the area.

We're looking to leave Long Island even though we've both grown up here. Things are rapidly changing here and we're considering Seattle, Las Vegas and NC. Any thoughts?

Old 11-16-2006, 08:52 AM

The negatives of Huntersville.

The traffic is getting bad. They are trying to combat this but with the influx of people moving here I just understand it all can't be fixed with a new turn lane.

Schools (High Schools) are overcrowded. Once again there is new schools being built to help. It just takes time to get them up and running.

Mecklenburg has higher taxes than the surrounding areas.

I enjoy it here in the Huntersville area and have no plans to leave. While there are some negatives I think the positives out weigh them.

Hope this helps some

Old 11-16-2006, 03:16 PM

24 posts, read 123,090 times
thanks for the reply. I was wondering when you said there was overcrowding in the high schools, how bad is the problem? I heard in Las Vegas that growth exceeded the schools capacity so quickly that they became understaffed with teachers and it's turning into a problem.

We have family that just moved to Huntersville and other family who just visited the area. They all love it but don't have school-aged children.

And how are the taxes? On Long Island, our taxes have become RIDICULOUS. that's something we're looking to escape.

Thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or