U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 07:44 AM

84 posts, read 99,551 times

Advertisements

I've been expecting to get a letter for the new valuation of our Union County property, but haven't yet... So I did a little investigating and found that the new values are on this site: Union County, NC Tax

The old values are still in the old GoMaps system here: http://maps.co.union.nc.us/gomaps/map/Index.cfm

We have two lots. The lot with our house on it increased about 23% and the adjacent lot with no building on it decreased 66%.

I'm curious if others have gotten their reval letters yet -- and if they have seen similar changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 10:49 AM

631 posts, read 736,163 times
~10% increase on the house. Approx same with 2 friends. One also had a vacant lot, and it dropped ~25%

Old 03-20-2015, 11:34 AM

451 posts, read 608,210 times
They have been updated.

Just real property search your property...

Real Property Search

Went down, must have been redistricted.

I don't understand how they did the reval based upon sales comps provided. Looks like they backed into a number. Land value didn't move but building did.

Last edited by SunshineCJ; 03-20-2015 at 11:50 AM..

Old 03-20-2015, 11:36 AM

343 posts, read 486,228 times
Same for us. ~10% increase

Old 03-21-2015, 08:09 AM

423 posts, read 661,659 times
How can you see what it was before? I find it funny as I had my house appraised for a refinance just a couple of weeks ago, and my house had gone up $10,000 from when we bought. This has it at about $8000 less than we bought it for.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:30 AM

631 posts, read 736,163 times
You can find it on your old property tax statement from last year, or it's still on the Community Mapper page. That's going to be obsolete, so it still has the old info.

Most tax appraisals are lower than market value (except during the crash of course). But for the most part, nearly all of my tax appraisals in 3 states over the past 20 years have been lower than market value. Unless, of course, you'd like to pay those extra taxes.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:11 AM

423 posts, read 661,659 times
Thank you TooLogical!

Old 03-22-2015, 06:42 PM

I have a feeling some may have missed this...

Commissioners put brakes on referendum | The Enquirer Journal

Commissioners put brakes on referendum
Mar. 21, 2015 @ 12:46 PM

MONROE
The Union County Board of Commissioners will wait on pursuing bond referenda for capital needs.

The board finished a conversation at a special meeting Monday that they tabled last month. Union County Finance Director Jeff Yates presented commissioner with a list of construction and maintenance projects for the county, Union County Sheriff's Office, Union County Public Schools and South Piedmont Community College at an earlier budget work session. Together, all projects would cost hundreds of millions of dollars. The county would have to raise the property tax rate to make yearly debt service payments...

...Commissioners asked county staff to consult the Monroe Union Economic Development board on the effect higher taxes would have on recruiting and retaining business. The EDC board was less focused on quality of life projects, like parks. Instead, the board's interest was in what capital projects would generate the most revenue. Training a skilled workforce was a high priority. Not every high school graduate goes to college. Some instead become mechanics, technicians, operators, repair experts or one of a variety of skilled labor jobs that require training, but not necessarily a diploma from a four-year college...

...A highly skilled workforce is as much a recruiting tool as a low tax rate, Yates said. The EDC suggested the county look for ways to provide both...

...Taking on debt for UCPS capital now would require adjusting the county property tax rate, Yates said. Annual tax base growth is estimated to be a slow 1 percent for the next five years. Most of the county's sales tax income currently goes for annual debt payments, Yates said. County government cannot continue cutting county services to pay for school facility needs...

...Chairman Richard Helms said a higher property tax rate pushes it to a level comparable with Mecklenburg, which undermines Union's attractiveness to new business...

...Timing of a bond referendum is also problematic, Helms said. A revaluation of property values in the county this year means commissioners might have to adjust the tax rate just to stay revenue neutral...

...The direction commissioners gave staff was to wait on the bond process until after revaluation, the current school-county working group makes a capital funding recommendation and there can be a consensus between UCPS, SPCC and the county.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:36 PM

84 posts, read 99,551 times
Thanks for sharing, SunshineCJ. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I still haven't gotten my reval letter... I know what it will say because I can look it up online, but I'm just wondering why I haven't gotten it yet. I thought they were supposed to be mailed last week. Have the rest of you gotten those actual letters in the mail yet?

Old 03-22-2015, 07:49 PM

"It's in the mail"...

3rd class mail addressed to "resident" that will look like a sweepstakes notice, hoping the "residents" throw it away as junk mail.

It's a long way from Monroe to the rest of the county given current road conditions. Give it time, it may or may not show up depending upon the assessment.

The UC is just saving money on postage to lower any potential impending tax (rate) increase which may or may not increase the actual amount of taxes one pays. Nothing to see here, move along...

Last edited by SunshineCJ; 03-22-2015 at 08:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte