U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you approve a bond referendum this year?
Yes 5 29.41%
No 12 70.59%
Maybe 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 04:15 PM

2,839 posts, read 2,544,544 times

Advertisements

I do not think $230 million will be enough to fix all Union County schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 06:26 PM

97 posts, read 98,246 times
Yercheck needs to go - he is insane FIX the broken things and repairs in ALL schools - Sun Valley is not the only school that needs repairs..The schools are not the only thing needed in UC - and if they really cared they'd focus on the education aspect (I'm dreaming I know) Why do people keep thinking people want to move here? The people I know moving to the area now want to avoid UC...why?? the schools, lack of things to do and distance to jobs...

Old 03-27-2015, 06:46 PM

451 posts, read 608,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCcostello View Post
Yercheck needs to go - he is insane FIX the broken things and repairs in ALL schools - Sun Valley is not the only school that needs repairs..The schools are not the only thing needed in UC - and if they really cared they'd focus on the education aspect (I'm dreaming I know) Why do people keep thinking people want to move here? The people I know moving to the area now want to avoid UC...why?? the schools, lack of things to do and distance to jobs...
Huh???

I don't even know where to begin but that Yercheck definitely needs to go.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:28 AM

we don't need huge mega schools - people aren't moving here the way they used to and people moving out of the county should be a wash with those that are moving here...they can't even lie well - they don't know how to forecast - I'm not a fan of mobile classrooms but they solve the fluctuating numbers that happen at a better price than Yercheck HS - They keep saying they don't have the money to fix the school repairs yet Yercheck HS is an option !?!?! Where's all the money going? My taxes have gone up and will again, the school we're assigned to is not what we bought and is lower performing which reduced the value of our home by over 25k - why on earth would I support insanity?

The residents can not afford the irresponsibility they are proposing.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:50 PM

113 posts, read 123,118 times
Just to confirm - you do understand Yercheck is no longer in office.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:18 AM

Yes I do...yet he's still on the committee due to the lawsuit and has a big say for his buddies

Old 03-29-2015, 07:53 AM

527 posts, read 636,581 times
Yercheck is as involved as he's ever been, make no mistake about that.

Nevertheless, personally, I wouldn't approve a single cent until school capacity was independently verified and the formulas published in a simple a+b=c format. The days of Webb making up numbers on the fly to suit the agenda of the day need to end.

Unfortunately there are kids in learning environments that aren't ideal, but the BOE should have thought of that before taking action on the ridiculous redistricting and then again on appointing MarTON to "represent" district 6.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:17 PM

161 posts, read 152,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post

Nevertheless, personally, I wouldn't approve a single cent until school capacity was independently verified and the formulas published in a simple a+b=c format. The days of Webb making up numbers on the fly to suit the agenda of the day need to end.

I wholeheartedly agree. Not one penny until accurate "core capacity" numbers are produced and verified. Did anyone ever question why across the board watch levels are 100 students over core capacity and cap levels are 200? This makes no sense when discussing lunchrooms, libraries, and all the other 101 excuses they have for capping those schools. How can a school with a core capacity of 500 hold an extra 200 students and a school with a core capacity of 1600 only hold an additional 200 students? This makes no sense. If the numbers were legitimate, they would be based on percentage, not a flat 200.

Not one more dime. We need a legitimate outside source with no dog in the fight to accurately assess the numbers and true needs of the schools.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:57 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,411,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post

Unfortunately there are kids in learning environments that aren't ideal, but the BOE should have thought of that before taking action on the ridiculous redistricting and then again on appointing MarTON to "represent" district 6.

They approved upping the capacity limits for the schools and then the CCEP. So I first started this topic on a whim sitting here thinking they'd need to come to us to spend the money to implement the CCEP. That it mattered that they got people on board to spend the money on the schools. Well, it doesn't appear that we get to say "not a single cent" because they're spending the Jury Award to break ground this year on 10s of millions of dollars worth of projects - projects that weren't even part of the lawsuit UCPS won.

It's bass awkwards. They're already spending our money and we'll eat the tax increase down the road regardless of voting on a referendum - because a jury said the BOCC (our taxes) owe UCPS $200+MM. It's no wonder they don't care if a referendum goes up in 2016, 2018, or 2286. It's party time now. Full steam ahead.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:19 PM

451 posts, read 608,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
It's bass awkwards..
What isn't bass-ass backwards in The UC?

From how the County/BoCC, UCPS/BOE, municipalities including the high and mighty ones who make informed decisions to limit growth. All of them usually screw up. No outside analysis/studies, ignoring staff, relying upon unelected appointees who have agendas, etc., etc...

Oh, and I forgot to mention The UC's State Representatives and Senators.

This really isn't that any different, same playbook as a few years ago. History we know is your friend in The UC...

In this case there should have been an updated land use survey, an updated McKibben report and model provided to UCPS by McKibben for school enrollment forecasting, followed by a discussion of those reports should the McKibben models indicated that new schools or increased capacities were required, an outside report about the economic/ education impacts of increasing school sizes vs building new schools, followed by discussion lead by Merrell/Sides who were the most aggrieved last time about school sizes and the effects of redistricting.

But from what I can tell Merrell/Sides were basically all in for the CCEP. Tough to be against when your districts get the most of the benefits/$$$s. Hard to believe this happens in The UC. If District 6 had Savage to fight for them, things might have been different...

I don't think they are spending anything on the CCEP yet. They shouldn't be because this wasn't budgeted this year. Soft costs from a mid year plan, don't equal GO, despite what any spreadsheet says. I think that was a typical budgeting GO now spreadsheet.

The CCEP has got a long ways to go, not to mention this year's budget. This year's budget is going to be a nightmare for every entity and taxpayer in The UC. So many variables, so little time.

Where is the decision on the appeal by the way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte