Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you approve a bond referendum this year?
Yes 5 29.41%
No 12 70.59%
Maybe 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 12:20 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
<alot of stuff I agree with>
I'm guilty of not dusting off my CV and making a serious run at getting on one of these boards. I'm also guilty of not spending enough time looking into the real agendas for those sitting on them. It's no different than most munis throughout the country, but that doesn't make me feel much better.

I agree it's BAU, but the depth of the BS we were fed leading up to the redistricting was so much deeper than I thought. Instead of being eye level it's way over everyone's head. It seems the CCEP has been the grail for a long time now (it includes all the pet projects like Yercheck HS & Tech Center). It apparently impacted the redistricting lines way more than I thought. A little thing like our friends in the Valhalla section across from MRHS finding out all too well how important it was for NTES to be crowded and justify the expansion. How SVHS needed to be maxxed out... etc.

You're right. There was no analysis done here - no input from the municipalities about building plans. No land use. No follow-up to the McKibben report. They are doubling down on a poorly planned redistricting with a poorly planned CCEP. It's amazing.

I'm not sure you're considering they could budget these projects anticipating to fund them from the Jury Award. Not counting Walter Bickett there are 9 (NINE) projects approved to move forward before July 1. 6 of them are supposed to be in Design phase already which to me means they are starting to run off some soft costs. As far as they're concerned the coffers are full right now and it will be interesting to see what shakes out from the appeal. I don't think anyone will argue they are going to get some percentage of the award.

I guess we'll find out if the county is really as broke as they are pretending to be... I'm betting they're not, but this is still gonna cost us. Heck, we still have to pay off the last time we got new schools. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 12:04 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,821,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I'm guilty of not dusting off my CV and making a serious run at getting on one of these boards. I'm also guilty of not spending enough time looking into the real agendas for those sitting on them. It's no different than most munis throughout the country, but that doesn't make me feel much better.

I agree it's BAU, but the depth of the BS we were fed leading up to the redistricting was so much deeper than I thought. Instead of being eye level it's way over everyone's head. It seems the CCEP has been the grail for a long time now (it includes all the pet projects like Yercheck HS & Tech Center). It apparently impacted the redistricting lines way more than I thought. A little thing like our friends in the Valhalla section across from MRHS finding out all too well how important it was for NTES to be crowded and justify the expansion. How SVHS needed to be maxxed out... etc.

You're right. There was no analysis done here - no input from the municipalities about building plans. No land use. No follow-up to the McKibben report. They are doubling down on a poorly planned redistricting with a poorly planned CCEP. It's amazing.

I'm not sure you're considering they could budget these projects anticipating to fund them from the Jury Award. Not counting Walter Bickett there are 9 (NINE) projects approved to move forward before July 1. 6 of them are supposed to be in Design phase already which to me means they are starting to run off some soft costs. As far as they're concerned the coffers are full right now and it will be interesting to see what shakes out from the appeal. I don't think anyone will argue they are going to get some percentage of the award.

I guess we'll find out if the county is really as broke as they are pretending to be... I'm betting they're not, but this is still gonna cost us. Heck, we still have to pay off the last time we got new schools. lol
Some of this was pointed out during the redistricting discussion. People may have not had proof of the exact reasons why certain things were being done, but it could be seen that they were being done.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:23 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

Mikey, just a guess on my part, but I'd guess that officials in the other counties outside of Mecklenburg must be doing the dance of joy over all of this mess. I feel sorry for the residents of Union County who are caught in this mess.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:07 PM

161 posts, read 194,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Some of this was pointed out during the redistricting discussion. People may have not had proof of the exact reasons why certain things were being done, but it could be seen that they were being done.
Children in this county are nothing more than pawns to these people. The ends don't justify the means, it's not a game. Shameful how the BOE and UCPS Administration have behaved and continue to behave. Business as usual.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:59 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Hi Redd - if you remember the infamous redistricting threads back then you'll note my biggest peeve was the dirty details. They shared nothing from what was happening behind closed doors. I mean I agree we could read between the lines on what was happening (well, everyone except Marce Savage), but we never got detailed explanations on how the facilities committee developed the plan. Just some generic "Methodology" and classic one liners from their own presentation (BOE directive to UCPS) like "Stave off new school construction for about 5 years". You can go back and see lines like this still posted leading up to the eventual redistricting proposal.

Meanwhile they knew they were proposing new construction in the CCEP when they typed that. You can't make this stuff up.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:08 PM

549 posts, read 679,847 times
Quote:
What isn't bass-ass backwards in The UC? ...All of them usually screw up. No outside analysis/studies, ignoring staff, relying upon unelected appointees who have agendas, etc., etc...
Yep. For evidence of this, just check out the next BOCC agenda. http://www.co.union.nc.us:8080/sirepub/cache/2/nwpcf4qygq1a5za5pun1eezw/12843704042015110632102.PDF

Old 04-04-2015, 10:26 PM

451 posts, read 712,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
No agendas at work here with appointments to the planning board let alone with House Bill 324 or Senate Bill 650

Move along, nothing to see here. Should Board of Ed Elections be Partisan?...

There is no such thing as political agendas or payback in The UC...

Old 04-05-2015, 08:52 AM

And if those bills don't pass, the deck stacking attempt just continues locally with a referendum on partisan elections to be held in the party primaries.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
No agendas at work here with appointments to the planning board...

There is no such thing as political agendas or payback in The UC...
From Spears' bodyguard to planning for the county's growth and deciding on major development permits and then onward to county commissioner ...Anything is possible in UC when you work the right people.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:43 AM

451 posts, read 712,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
...Anything is possible in UC when you work the right people.
...or when the right people start to work you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte