U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 07:17 AM

72 posts, read 97,219 times

Advertisements

Hello, Please tell me your thoughts of living in Huntersville (north) area of Charlotte versus living in Raleigh-Durham/Cary area. Please note that I lived in Charlotte for ~10 years;we then had to move north for jobs. So, I know the area extremely well, especially south Charlotte. We are returning to NC. However, the situation dictates that we choose between these 2 geographies----> Huntersville vs. Raleigh area. Please help....I look forward to your input!! P.S. I do not know Huntersville or Raleigh areas re nuances of living there. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 07:21 AM

305 posts, read 383,681 times
Huntersville by far.

20 minute drive to Charlotte, 10 minutes from the lake, it is extremely developed now, places like Birkdale Village, any kind of place to eat you'd want, etc.

Only problem is traffic during rush hour times (8AM-8:30AM and 4:45PM to 5:30PM).

Old 03-26-2015, 07:27 AM

371 posts, read 409,472 times
Huntersville is a suburb of Charlotte. So if you are looking for an upper middle class suburban lifestyle, move to Huntersville.

Raleigh-Durham Cary is the second largest metro in the state and offers a huge variety of options. Literally the exact same type of lifestyle is likely between Huntersville and say, Cary. Or if you prefer something similar to south Charlotte, move into Raleigh proper.

Comparing Huntersville vs. the Raleigh metro as a whole is like apples and helicopters though.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:30 AM

343 posts, read 485,510 times
You can find the exact same lifestyles in each area, but I would agree that Huntersville would be on par with Cary/Morrisville.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:36 AM

72 posts, read 97,219 times
I forgot about Birkdale in Huntersville...thanks!! The "Lake" (Lake Norman) is not a priority for us for activity aspects. So to give you an idea...ease-of-shopping (variety), workout places, dining/not chains options are some priorities.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:30 AM

5,864 posts, read 7,687,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post
Literally the exact same type of lifestyle is likely between Huntersville and say, Cary.
This. A lot of the suburbs of Raleigh/Durham are very similar to a lot of the suburbs of Charlotte. Only advantage Huntersville has is being near the Lake, although Raleigh/Durham is closer to the ocean.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:31 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,767,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polishgirl View Post
I forgot about Birkdale in Huntersville...thanks!! The "Lake" (Lake Norman) is not a priority for us for activity aspects. So to give you an idea...ease-of-shopping (variety), workout places, dining/not chains options are some priorities.
Both areas meet those requirements equally, imo.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:22 AM

44,212 posts, read 17,626,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
... Only advantage Huntersville has is being near the Lake, although Raleigh/Durham is closer to the ocean.
Some would also say that Huntersville being much closer to the mountains would be considered an advantage too.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:49 AM

661 posts, read 573,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polishgirl View Post
Not only do you have Birkdale but Northlake is good for some stores ,the completion of 485 gives easy access to Concord Mills& the new Premium Outlets near Steele Creek. Plus SouthPark is also a reasonable distance along with a growing retail scene in Uptown/SouthEnd.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:55 PM

186 posts, read 371,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
Huntersville by far.

20 minute drive to Charlotte, 10 minutes from the lake, it is extremely developed now, places like Birkdale Village, any kind of place to eat you'd want, etc.

Only problem is traffic during rush hour times (8AM-8:30AM and 4:45PM to 5:30PM).
We should be very clear for the OPs sake that commuting to Charlotte from Huntersville is not 20 minutes during rush hour(s), its more like an hour between the congestion starting at mile marker 19 and the local congestion on NC 115, NC 21, Gilead and Sam Furr. I would imagine this getting much more if they begin construction on the toll lanes etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or