U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 12:25 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,711,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesuptown View Post
I feel for ya, buddy. I moved here immediately following college at the age of 21, from NJ. I was a college athlete, had a great job (that's why I moved here, to accept the job offer). I lived here for nearly a period of two years before even having a single date! I mean, I had a couple of girls whose telephone numbers I got, but nothing ever panned out.

What changed my life was this--- I moved. But not "out" of Charlotte, I just bought a condo in Uptown (you can always rent, too, but why rent for $2,000 a month when you can have a mtge for <$1,000 a month??)

Literally, within the first week my dating fortunes changed immensely. The uptown bar scene notwithstanding, my friends and I only go to a particular niche of classy, upscale places that all of the college kids DONT hang out at -- try avoiding the Forum, Menage, Fox & Hound, Cans. All 22--24 yo's there.

And avoid the places like BAR Charlotte, or Time; it took me a while, but places like that had tons of nice, good looking women, but they were not exactly of the highest caliber (I am trying to put any disparaging remarks in!)

You can find upscale, professional people at places like Zinc, Blue, Palomino (before it closed), and a 4th Ward secret hangout, Alexander Michael's. At Al Mike's, I have even met and made *guy* friends there, which I know it seems kind of weird to say I met guys at a bar ;-)

But back to the living experience; my condo is replete with young, very well-educated professionals, and not just all 100% bankers either. Of the twenty units on the floor of my condo, only ONE person is from Charlotte! We have an architect from Scotland, a 30-yo doctor, a engineer/architect from Iowa, a painter/sculptor from Hickory NC, a banker from NJ, and the son of one of NC's State Senators as well. My next door neighbor has his PhD from Antwerp in Belgium, and is a college prof. Overall A VERY diverse group, a group that has brought me into other circles of their interesting, intellectually-stimulating friends. In fact it brought to my current girlfriend, now of over three years, who is a young doctor from Chapel Hill. So there's definitely hope !!

By my estimation, the problem you could have experienced was that you were not in an area with a lot of transplants ... that is what I, as many of my friends have found, brought the greatest success in meeting new people.
good posting. You made an excellent point. If you are not finding what you want in a particular place go somewhere else. I think that the problem with some of the place downtown is that they are occupied by people that work together, go to school together, and just have their cliques, not necessarily locals but people that either study or work in close proximity. I don't think that charlotte is lacking in anything if you know where to go. I strongly disagree that Charlotte is Dull, you may have to pick up the Creative Loafing or the other entertainment magazine, but it is out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
wait...shower? I thought there was a water restriction.....oh man, be right back.....
You know the English, if you don't have clothes falling of your back and a still have a couple of teeth, you look really clean. LOL.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:00 PM

[quote=WorldTraveller;203256]Hey CJC,

You know what, despite what some others have said, if you're not originally from the south and didn't grow up with a small town mentality, you're going to find it real tough in Charlotte. Also, speaking your mind bluntly doesn't help. I lived there for 6 years moving from Chicago and I thought I'd died and gone to hell for single, intelligent, cosmopolitan male. The more education you've had that isn't related to business or law, the worse it is. When I moved there, I thought intelligent discussions were outlawed!

Despite appearances, Charlotte is not a cosmopolitan city in it's mentality. However, they are trying their best to attract guys like you to the city to change it and they've done a lot to make uptown lively to keep them there. It's going to take a few more years before Charlotte grows up properly so in 10 years time, it might be a much more rounded city.

You might want to check out Raleigh/Durham/Cary where you might find more of the intelligent, career minded but not yet married hot babe.

Ironically, I'm planning on moving back to Charlotte but this time with an English girl in tow! I had to leave Charlotte for England to find a girl that is my match in terms of life outlook. If there are still no interesting people to talk to in Charlotte when I move back there, I'll just talk to my wife.

Good luck![/quot

Got to tell you, got a kick out of this posting. According to your posting, you are single, intelligent and cosmopolitan. You lived in Chicago for 6 years. You believe that Charlotte is only receptive to southerners and those with small town mentalities. You suggest to CJC that he might want to check out Raleigh/Durham/Carry to find a career minded, hot "babe'.

Let me get this right. You hate Charlotte. You think that it is not not cosmopolitan enough for you, so you are going to England and bring an English bride back to Charlotte? What happened to your comments suggesting that you are to intelligent and cosmopolitan for Charlotte? LOL.. How old are you? I would guess that you lived in Chicago from ages 12-18, moved to Charlotte at that time , didn't do very well in the "popularity with women" scene, so you decided to go to England where you were able to ascertain a date and possibly married your first one. Good for you big city boy! I hope that you and your British "Babe" will add to this culturally suffering, educationally deprived city. And maybe y'all can teach us how to talk interesting so you won't go back to England. LOL! Just kidding, you really should stay.

Final note, I lived in London for many years. Chances are that if your wife is from other than London, she suffers the same from small town mentality that is worse than what you have experienced. And, she is likely going to want to go home to mum regardless of where you live. Trust me.

What does, "The more education you've had that isn't related to business or law, the worse it is" mean?

Old 03-26-2008, 03:36 PM

523 posts, read 2,606,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
ok, my turn. how long have you been dating this guy? opening emotionally too soon.....baaaaaad!
Ha! Actually, we have been e-mailing/IMing, phoning for nearly 3 months--at least once a day! We were referring to each other as "sweetie" and "baby", etc. He shared all sorts of emotional type prose in his e-mails to me.

I wasn't telling him I loved him or something. I was just saying that I couldn't read him at all and that I liked him and was trying to get a gauge on where his head was because it wasn't worth it to me to date someone living overseas if there was nothing there. I think he just didn't like the way I worded it or something. I couldn't figure it out. Anyway, we're still together for a few more days. I don't think this is going to work, unless something changes in the next day or two. I still can't read him. He's moody/gets irritated easily, doesn't seem to appreciate much affection, etc. It makes me think he doesn't like me. However, he'll do little things like stroke my hand or hair which is affectionate and intimate. I'm so confused! Anyway, I think I'm probably accidentally hijacking this thread so I'll stop now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte