U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 06:59 PM

964 posts, read 861,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Most recently Belk acquired the Saks Fifth Ave. store in Dallas, TX and reopened a renovated flagship store which I hear is performing well. So Belk does range from the smaller town versions to the large upscale flagship stores. Which is part of the uniqueness of Belk. But there was indeed a perception problem in Birmingham when Belk took over the Parisian stores, which were perceived more upscale in that market.

No perception problem, Parisian was and still is much more upscale than the best Belk. We have eight Belk stores where I live with two being flagships. (numbers 3 and 4 in the chain)
(so much so that a Northeastern company bought the three Parisian stores in the Detroit metro with the limitation of opening no more stores under the name)

Yes the Belk at Galleria Dallas is doing fine. It makes since as the reason the Saks store left the mall was the drastic demographic change in the area over the past thirty years. They said their customers would not come to that mall any longer.
Anyone knowing the area knows how it has changed, and unlike Atlanta's Phipps, Belk is not at Dallas' upscale premiere location, that would be North Park. (the predecessor and inspiration for Charlottes' South Park)

Anyway this is all history. I am far more concerned for what will come after Belk. It can get worse I am afraid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 07:19 PM

3,445 posts, read 4,313,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
A while back I heard the the Ginos people are looking to restart the chain. They probably can't get the Kentucky Fried Chicken franchise again, though.
Some of the original owners have reopened a few new Gino's locations around Baltimore. One tried in Philadelphia but closed. They are trying to be a bit higher quality than the average fast food. And you are correct, they no longer have the rights to serve Kentucky Fried Chicken. That partnership was phased out when Gino's were bought by Roy Rogers and they served their own fried chicken, along with burgers and roast beef.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:11 PM

21,877 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Quote:
Some of the original owners have reopened a few new Gino's locations around Baltimore. One tried in Philadelphia but closed. They are trying to be a bit higher quality than the average fast food. And you are correct, they no longer have the rights to serve Kentucky Fried Chicken. That partnership was phased out when Gino's were bought by Roy Rogers and they served their own fried chicken, along with burgers and roast beef.
The Ginos people got the Kentucky Fried Chicken rights from Col. Sanders. He was funny like that. If they open up some locations in South Jersey, Philly will come along.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:53 AM

2,484 posts, read 1,606,441 times
Quote:
Again, an acquisition in not the same as personally insulting the shoppers who you need to shop with you.

Parisian was a regional name, not nationwide. You admitted it.

If you don't understand these concepts I can't help you. Go ahead & think that business as usual is an insult.
No, I didn't. Regional means it is specific to one region, thus Parisian was not regional. There were stores in the South and the Midwest, thus it was not regional. You are putting words in my mouth to justify your disagreement. However, the fact that Belk sales in these other markets are lackluster reaffirm what I was saying about despondent and annoyed former Parisian shoppers.

Last edited by jero23; 04-08-2015 at 07:41 AM..

Old 04-08-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlscrkeva View Post
another thing with the Belk/Parisian issue was...Belk actually got sued by a retail developer as they didnt think Belk was "upscale enough" to support the vision of the retail development. IIRC, this happened in Birmingham.

Now I will say that the Belk location at Phipps Plaza is awkward and I dont see the appeal and upscale-ness of its supposed "flagship" status. The energy in that store is dead as a door nail. Granted, Phipps Plaza has a very distinguished vibe to it (and rightfully so) but that Belk location is just...I dunno....LOL

Minor correction.....Parisian did operate here in South Carolina in the former Greenville Mall here in Greenville and also at both the Richland Mall and Columbiana Centre in Columbia. ☺
Yeah, that was Bayer Properties whom is owner of the upscale "The Summit" shopping district in Birmingham. They are awaiting the lease for Belk to end in 2017 so they can force the flagship store out of their district and replace it with a proposed Nordstrom that has been talks with Bayer. I've heard similar things are in the works with Simon Properties with the Phipps Plaza location with the total revamp of the mall. Belk has very few true fans in large urbanized areas outside of the Carolinas.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Most recently Belk acquired the Saks Fifth Ave. store in Dallas, TX and reopened a renovated flagship store which I hear is performing well. So Belk does range from the smaller town versions to the large upscale flagship stores. Which is part of the uniqueness of Belk. But there was indeed a perception problem in Birmingham when Belk took over the Parisian stores, which were perceived more upscale in that market.
Yeah, both Birmingham and Atlanta former Parisian shoppers aren't very receptive to Belk. Belk has folded numerous of its converted Parisian locations in Metro Atlanta. That's a sign that this isn't a good reception of the chain.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
No, I didn't. Regional means it is specific to one region, thus Parisian was not regional. There were stores in the South and the Midwest, thus it was not regional. You are putting words in my mouth to justify your disagreement. However, the fact that Belk sales in these other markets are lackluster reaffirm what I was saying about despondent and annoyed former Parisian shoppers.
Regional means not national. I put no words in your mouth. You don't understand the concepts.

First you tried to equate an acquisition with an insulting ad campaign & now you are trying to to sell me that a chain that was in 2 regions was national. I'm not stupid. I worked with advertising for years. 2 regions does not equal national.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:25 PM

3,452 posts, read 3,134,336 times
Quote:
Regional means not national. I put no words in your mouth. You don't understand the concepts.

First you tried to equate an acquisition with an insulting ad campaign & now you are trying to to sell me that a chain that was in 2 regions was national. I'm not stupid. I worked with advertising for years. 2 regions does not equal national.
Parisian was OK but even its "upscale" stores were more or less a Belk with lipstick. I think Belk has a better handle on what works in the southeastern market, thus why they've been successful over the years. Especially in the Carolinas which has a strong shopping base and fast growing market.

I think Belk is revamping business model to keep abreast of the evolving shopping experience. The large indoor mall shopping experience isn't growing and seems Belk is moving toward a stand alone store model where it makes economical sense.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Parisian was OK but even its "upscale" stores were more or less a Belk with lipstick. I think Belk has a better handle on what works in the southeastern market, thus why they've been successful over the years. Especially in the Carolinas which has a strong shopping base and fast growing market.

I think Belk is revamping business model to keep abreast of the evolving shopping experience. The large indoor mall shopping experience isn't growing and seems Belk is moving toward a stand alone store model where it makes economical sense.
Thanks. That was my take on Belk. I'd like to see them work out something with Boscov. The chains are very similar. I think that they'd do well & I think that they'd do what Boscov has never done. . .take over one of the old department stores in Center City.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:27 PM

3,452 posts, read 3,134,336 times
Quote:
Thanks. That was my take on Belk. I'd like to see them work out something with Boscov. The chains are very similar. I think that they'd do well & I think that they'd do what Boscov has never done. . .take over one of the old department stores in Center City.
I do find it a bit humorous when Belk gets slammed for retooling brands and products to fit a particular market. Seems to me Belk still has a strong presence in Atlanta and other places....not a fashion guru but I haven't heard anything about Belk closing a bunch of underperforming stores??? I like Belk, they have very decent Big and Tall section for the big guys.

Anyway, business is business and sounds like goodbye Belk...join the Parisians. Yep, instead of leaving downtown, be nice to see more stores move in that direction. I hate malls, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte