U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 03:18 PM

24 posts, read 118,873 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have an opinion on Ballantyne Country Club vs. Piper Glen? Seems to be a lot more houses for sale in Piper Glen and I was wondering why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 03:24 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtrom View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on Ballantyne Country Club vs. Piper Glen? Seems to be a lot more houses for sale in Piper Glen and I was wondering why.
I happen to like Piper Glen, but I was talking w/ some others recently who said Piper Glen seemed "tired" and Ballantyne seems "fresh."

I like the mature landscape at Piper Glen, too. I guess Ballantyne is the "happening place" these days, LOL. I think all the expansion and new retail in the Ballantyne area make it an exciting place to live.

Maybe someone from PG or Ballantyne will weigh in . . . or some of our realtors can give you some real insight.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:28 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,785,456 times
I think PG is just bigger in area so probably more homes there. Ballantyne would be my choice.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:28 AM

3 posts, read 18,744 times
I spent a year looking for homes in both Piper Glen and Ballantyne. I bought in Piper Glen... why? I loved the more mature landscape and the seperation between the homes. Ballantyne CC is slapped together like homes in California. Ballantyne is more conjested and it appeals to notherners that have relocated (banking usually) Piper Glen has more of a gentile atmosphere that one expects in the south, midwest, etc. Slower... as far as why/is there more homes available in Piper glen... I would assume that it is because it is older and more families are downsizing... many have lived there since the development. My family has been here 8 years and love the lifestyle. If I feel the need for the stress of a HUGE development area as is Ballantyne... I head there it is only a mle away. I choose to live in an area in the city that is quiter and more gentile like Piper Glen and Myers Park.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:19 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,050,079 times
FWIW Ballantyne Country Club is offering memberships at near firesale rates.

I personally prefer PG or even further in, but it really depends on where you will be working and your circle of activities.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:08 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
FWIW Ballantyne Country Club is offering memberships at near firesale rates.

I personally prefer PG or even further in, but it really depends on where you will be working and your circle of activities.
What do you classify as firesale rates? Half the usual initiation fee? Any drop on monthly rates?

I have no doubt about your info . . . makes sense. A lot of bankers live in BCC - and people associated w/ banking (i.e. marketing and IT).

Old 10-14-2008, 07:26 PM

1,559 posts, read 622,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbossi1 View Post
I spent a year looking for homes in both Piper Glen and Ballantyne. I bought in Piper Glen... why? I loved the more mature landscape and the seperation between the homes. Ballantyne CC is slapped together like homes in California. Ballantyne is more conjested and it appeals to notherners that have relocated (banking usually) Piper Glen has more of a gentile atmosphere that one expects in the south, midwest, etc. Slower... as far as why/is there more homes available in Piper glen... I would assume that it is because it is older and more families are downsizing... many have lived there since the development. My family has been here 8 years and love the lifestyle. If I feel the need for the stress of a HUGE development area as is Ballantyne... I head there it is only a mle away. I choose to live in an area in the city that is quiter and more gentile like Piper Glen and Myers Park.
I agree. I would have loved to moved into Piper Glen when they were building, but we were new to the area, and alittle nervous about spending that much money then. Still would chose Piper Glen or Myers Park. Ballantyne is just too new, & open for my choice. Good Luck!

Old 04-06-2011, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 10,302 times
Piper Glen is also inside the 485 you DONT want to be further out if you are commuting to some of the finer schools and best shopping/dining of South park and of course uptown. Ballentyne is another 10-15mins further south and the traffic can be BAD.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:07 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,174,428 times
Piper Glen Golf Course was designed by Arnold Palmer and it is a TPC club. The club hosted PGA senior tournaments for many years. I enjoyed going to many of them. Ballantyne CC which I lived in, was developed by Crescent Properties. The HOA fees and club fees are very high. I believe the club went semi-private, opening to the public. Piper Glen is still private and still a TPC club.

Piper Glen has homes contructed of the "fake" stucco. You need to look into this very closely.
All the homes were built custom made.

Ballantyne was built by similar builders, however, Weiland built many of their spec homes
which are built in many neighborhoods around the area.

Today, I would consider Piper over Ballantyne.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:22 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,336,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Citizen View Post
Piper Glen is also inside the 485 you DONT want to be further out if you are commuting to some of the finer schools and best shopping/dining of South park and of course uptown. Ballentyne is another 10-15mins further south and the traffic can be BAD.
Ballantyne is less than 3 miles south of Piper Glen. Traffic is worse there than near PG, but you can get through it with little lost time. They can easily share restaurants and shopping since they're so close. Ballantyne is only slightly farther away from Southpark, and is probably about the same drive time away.

I'd vote for PG because it's far enough from the hustle of Ballantyne, and I like the better established neighborhood. There's more character to many of the homes. In Ballantyne there are homes that look like they were brought in from a South American country and planted 50 feet from other big homes. Too much cookie cutter for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte