Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 10:10 PM

26 posts, read 25,511 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are moving to the Charlotte area (not 100% on a area yet) in July. He is having trouble find good reputable local trucking companies. He works for one of the best logistics chemical hauling companies in the area. He is worried he will not be able to transfer into the same company in Charlotte due to a lack of open positions. He refuses to take a pay cut or go over the road. Any help would be greatly appreciated. He has over 12 years of experience, in all different areas of trucking. His pay needs to stay between 60,000 to 85,000 a year.

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 10:40 PM

120 posts, read 263,691 times
Good trucking local jobs should not be hard to find in Charlotte due to its a pretty major transportation hub. The only problem is that most companies in this industry want you to start within two weeks of being hired, y'all may have to move first before he can line a job up you don't hear of a trucking company holding a job for someone who can't fill it right there right then. Anyways 60+ k a year and be home every day he needs to try to get on with a us mail contractor hauling mail, or try hauling fuel or hazmat or try to get on with a ltl company like abf fed ex freight Estes old dominion ect, or if he doesn't mind hard labor a food service company like Sysco or us food service all of theese should meet his mark of 60 to 80 k a year in the Charlotte area

Old 04-07-2015, 10:44 PM

Thank you so much for your response. We are going down at the end of the month so even if he can go and put out his resume that would be a good thing. I agree with you people tend to want someone who is willing to start sooner than later.

Do you have any hazmat company names?

Old 04-07-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constitutionalist View Post
Good trucking local jobs should not be hard to find in Charlotte due to its a pretty major transportation hub. The only problem is that most companies in this industry want you to start within two weeks of being hired, y'all may have to move first before he can line a job up you don't hear of a trucking company holding a job for someone who can't fill it right there right then. Anyways 60+ k a year and be home every day he needs to try to get on with a us mail contractor hauling mail, or try hauling fuel or hazmat or try to get on with a ltl company like abf fed ex freight Estes old dominion ect, or if he doesn't mind hard labor a food service company like Sysco or us food service all of theese should meet his mark of 60 to 80 k a year in the Charlotte area
Thank you so much for your response. We are going down at the end of the month so even if he can go and put out his resume that would be a good thing. I agree with you people tend to want someone who is willing to start sooner than later.

Do you have any hazmat company names

Old 04-08-2015, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautifulla08 View Post

Do you have any hazmat company names?
I don't because I'm not into hauling haz mat I haul us mail & in my past have done ltl & food service delivery I have always been home every day and been right on target of the 60 to 80 k range your looking for if he has a good fmsa score he will have no problem. Charlotte has a lot of opportunities in the transportation industry just like any other major city would have

Old 04-08-2015, 02:31 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautifulla08 View Post
My boyfriend and I are moving to the Charlotte area (not 100% on a area yet) in July. He is having trouble find good reputable local trucking companies. He works for one of the best logistics chemical hauling companies in the area. He is worried he will not be able to transfer into the same company in Charlotte due to a lack of open positions. He refuses to take a pay cut or go over the road. Any help would be greatly appreciated. He has over 12 years of experience, in all different areas of trucking. His pay needs to stay between 60,000 to 85,000 a year.

Thanks in advance!!!
Being a new hire at a company he may have to change his "I won't go over the road or take less pay" attitude.
Sometimes 12 years experience means nothing when someone else has been at a company for 15 years and there are plenty of other guys out there who have 30 years experience that could be chosen for local work over a guy who has 12 years in.

He could always buy his own truck and lease on a company then he can work as hard as he needs to and keep his salary in the range he wants it.

I own the company and the equipment and I "could" hire him to start work for me as soon as he passed a physical, drug screen, background check and met all the qualifications except I would be hesitant to hire him with the attitude you have presented with your written words.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:33 AM

Also in the trucking industry it's always good to stay with what you know. Companies will promise you large compensation but they will lie they just want a warm body in the truck. My advice is from my personal experience. Ltl, us mail contractor, hauling fuel, or food service has been what I have found to be the best paying local jobs in the industry. That's not just in Charlotte that's nationwide. You can look on indeed, monster, Craigslist & ect for trucking jobs but for more info on a company he may be interested in go to truckers report.com and see what info and reviews from drivers may be on there. Anyways good luck it seems everyone wants to move to Charlotte now it is a great great city

Old 04-08-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Being a new hire at a company he may have to change his "I won't go over the road or take less pay" attitude.
Sometimes 12 years experience means nothing when someone else has been at a company for 15 years and there are plenty of other guys out there who have 30 years experience that could be chosen for local work over a guy who has 12 years in.

He could always buy his own truck and lease on a company then he can work as hard as he needs to and keep his salary in the range he wants it.

I own the company and the equipment and I "could" hire him to start work for me as soon as he passed a physical, drug screen, background check and met all the qualifications except I would be hesitant to hire him with the attitude you have presented with your written words.

Thanks for your input, but I disagree with you. In the 12 years he has spent in the industry he has only had to spend 3 years OTR and has experience over seas. He has always been able to stay within his salary range without any issues. When looking for a job it is important to be exact on what you are looking for. You should never have the " I will do anything" attitude because it will cause a person to become frustrated and either hate or quit their job in a short period of time. Unless someone is desperate they should make a list of things they must have in a job and things that are not so important to them. As a business owner you should want all applicants to be honest and up front about what they want from a long term comitted job so they can be a successful asset to your company. Also great referances, good job history and stellar interviewing skills go a long way and can separate a canidate who has 30 years experience and lacks all of thise things, from someone who has only 12 years experience.

FYI: Noone should ever go as far as interviewing with a company that is clear on what they are looking for and tell then "I wont " do what you are asking.
So my boyfriend is very careful when reading job postings, he would never apply to a job that is looking for OTR drivers.

Good luck to you in your business ventures!

Old 04-08-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constitutionalist View Post
Also in the trucking industry it's always good to stay with what you know. Companies will promise you large compensation but they will lie they just want a warm body in the truck. My advice is from my personal experience. Ltl, us mail contractor, hauling fuel, or food service has been what I have found to be the best paying local jobs in the industry. That's not just in Charlotte that's nationwide. You can look on indeed, monster, Craigslist & ect for trucking jobs but for more info on a company he may be interested in go to truckers report.com and see what info and reviews from drivers may be on there. Anyways good luck it seems everyone wants to move to Charlotte now it is a great great city
Thanks again for your advice, it is very helpful. He hss experiemce in fuel so I think that might be a great route for him. I will also check out that website.

Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: