U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 08:07 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,851,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The poster who lives in Mooresville & commutes to Charlotte, & his wife also makes the same commute, commented of the traffic in both directions. If you feel that that's irrelevant, that's fine. Consulting a map would tell you that a commute from Ft Mill would be up 485 to 77.

The Charlotte TV stations stream their newscasts. They all have traffic reports. You can track the difference in the road conditions between 4:30am & when you would be leaving.
The OP seems to be doing the reverse commute against the rush hour traffic though (from Charlotte to Mooresville in the morning when everyone else is heading southbound toward Charlotte, and towards Charlotte in the evenings when everyone else is heading northbound back to Lake Norman). The two have totally different commute times. That's why he's saying the commute of someone going from Mooresville to Charlotte driving in the rush hour traffic isn't the commute he's interested in knowing about.

I would probably rent in the Plaza Midwood or Elizabeth area for now and take 277 to 77 up to Mooresville. In my personal opinion those are some of the most desirable parts of Charlotte for young professionals, while still being more affordable than Uptown and Southend. Lots of things to do and mostly within walking distance. It's very doable in a reverse commute against the rush hour traffic. Rarely do I see the side of 77 traveling opposite the rush hour traffic totally backed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 08:17 PM

21,868 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
The OP seems to be doing the reverse commute against the rush hour traffic though (from Charlotte to Mooresville in the morning when everyone else is heading southbound toward Charlotte, and towards Charlotte in the evenings when everyone else is heading northbound back to Lake Norman). The two have totally different commute times. That's why he's saying the commute of someone going from Mooresville to Charlotte driving in the rush hour traffic isn't the commute he's interested in knowing about.

I would probably rent in the Plaza Midwood or Elizabeth area for now and take 277 to 77 up to Mooresville. It's very doable in a reverse commute against the rush hour traffic. Rarely do I see the side of 77 traveling opposite the rush hour traffic totally backed up.
I've seen the northbound & southbound traffic on 77 both sitting at a standstill in rush hour traffic more than once. Wevie said that as he's going southbound, northbound doesn't seem to be notably better.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:58 AM

191 posts, read 317,279 times
I wouldn't wish that commute on anyone! It's gotten much worse lately even going North. I would recommend checking in Huntersville near Birkdale Village. Lots of restaurants,pubs,shopping in a great walkable village. Davidson is great also, but you could really look right around the lake in Davidson and Langtree area,as this area is about to explode with the addition of Langtree at the Lake. There is already some shopping,restaurants and nightlife with more to come. Your price range may afford you a lake condo, and I'm sure you'll find plenty to do on the weekends...quite a few lake bars and restaurants to enjoy. I can send you some areas to look into if this sounds of interest to you.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:02 AM

2,143 posts, read 2,611,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlaagnini View Post
I wouldn't wish that commute on anyone! It's gotten much worse lately even going North. I would recommend checking in Huntersville near Birkdale Village. Lots of restaurants,pubs,shopping in a great walkable village. Davidson is great also, but you could really look right around the lake in Davidson and Langtree area,as this area is about to explode with the addition of Langtree at the Lake. There is already some shopping,restaurants and nightlife with more to come. Your price range may afford you a lake condo, and I'm sure you'll find plenty to do on the weekends...quite a few lake bars and restaurants to enjoy. I can send you some areas to look into if this sounds of interest to you.
Langtree at the Lake is an interesting suggestion. It is brand new and coming up quickly with lots more planned. Having a condo on the lake that is a mile from work to where you could literally bike to work would certainly be pretty cool. You could always drive to uptown on the weekend or when you wanted to check out other stuff.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:31 AM

661 posts, read 574,675 times
Something else to consider is the I-77 toll project & it's impact on commuting on 77

Old 04-11-2015, 09:07 AM

44,352 posts, read 17,716,609 times
You should be looking at Davidson and possible places in East Cornelius. I-77 north of the city is pretty bad these days in both directions. It will not be a pleasant drive from Dilworth. We are talking about bad and really bad north of I-485.

$350K will get you a pretty nice condo or townhouse in Davidson or a house in Cornelius. There is a planned commuter rail line slated to go through there so you might want to consider a place anywhere near that line. Only downside, it's not funded yet.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:30 PM

810 posts, read 1,122,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post
I commute from the Southpark area to Huntersville daily. As long as you are commuting against rush hour, you are looking at roughly a 20-30 minute commute, tops. It's a pretty straight shot up 77. And the areas you are looking in are awesome areas. There are def. places in your range. Good luck!
The areas he is talking about to exit 31 is about a 30 minute commute with no traffic at all. I'm not sure what you are seeing but when I see the north bound lanes in the morning and the south in the evening, they are backed up and mostly at a stand still just like the other lanes.

You say you commute to Huntersville but you have to remember, that is where the problem begins when it bottlenecks into two lanes.

Charlotte would be nice, but unless he is prepared for mostly an hour plus commute each way everyday, he should look closer north.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:35 PM

810 posts, read 1,122,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambrose3 View Post
Other people in this thread have similar drives to what I am proposing and they say it's not that bad, so there seems to be conflicting information. If someone can do fort mill to mooresville in an hour then I think I would be okay. I'll just have to test it out myself. Comments from people who live in Mooresville are mostly irrelevant to me since they aren't making the drive I am proposing every day. I am mainly interested in the opinions of people who travel north on 77 out of Charlotte or south of Charlotte in the morning.

I may be traveling in the opposite direction, but I can certainly see traffic at a stand still going in the other direction.

Fort Mill to Mooresville is about a 50 minute trip with ZERO traffic. There is no way that person is making that trip in an hour during rush hour. I'm guessing they are leaving at 6am or so before traffic gets bad.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:31 PM

15 posts, read 12,455 times
I'm going to have to do this drive a few times myself because from my research online i'm just not seeing the huge traffic delays when you're commuting in the opposite direction. Question for you all that say the commute would be terrible; have you lived and commuted in other large cities before besides Charlotte? Like Atlanta, New York, LA, DC, etc? I have been looking at these traffic cameras that show northbound and southbound around mile marker 22 which is in the 2-lane part of 77 and at 5:25PM on a Monday it does not look like a standstill.

I-77 Charlotte Traffic Cams

I have also been researching the drive on Google Maps which takes into consideration traffic, and the current drive time for 23.5 miles says 31 mins to Uptown and shows some slowdowns around Huntersville. In comparison I did a Google Maps route from my workplace here in St. Petersburg across the Howard Franklin bridge to Tampa right now. The Howard Franklin is notorious for backing up going north during rush hour. It's showing 36 minutes for 14.2 miles which is about accurate for this time of day. It's just odd that it wouldn't show a higher number from Mooresville to Charlotte if in fact the traffic is that bad.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:50 PM

661 posts, read 574,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambrose3 View Post
I'm going to have to do this drive a few times myself because from my research online i'm just not seeing the huge traffic delays when you're commuting in the opposite direction. Question for you all that say the commute would be terrible; have you lived and commuted in other large cities before besides Charlotte? Like Atlanta, New York, LA, DC, etc? I have been looking at these traffic cameras that show northbound and southbound around mile marker 22 which is in the 2-lane part of 77 and at 5:25PM on a Monday it does not look like a standstill.

I-77 Charlotte Traffic Cams

I have also been researching the drive on Google Maps which takes into consideration traffic, and the current drive time for 23.5 miles says 31 mins to Uptown and shows some slowdowns around Huntersville. In comparison I did a Google Maps route from my workplace here in St. Petersburg across the Howard Franklin bridge to Tampa right now. The Howard Franklin is notorious for backing up going north during rush hour. It's showing 36 minutes for 14.2 miles which is about accurate for this time of day. It's just odd that it wouldn't show a higher number from Mooresville to Charlotte if in fact the traffic is that bad.
That's probably your best bet. Now I personally think you should live where you want to period. No need to live in Davidson,Mooresvile etc if it's not where you want to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or