U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 07:13 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,348,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
No one replied to the single guys thread b/c it was soooo obviously ridiculous that it wasn't worth the energy to hit the reply button. At least that's my reason.

The tell-tale signs of someone who is going to throw insult-javelins is when they begin with "I'm only telling it like it is" or "here are my thoughts...just being honest".

The premise of this thread is laughable at best but mostly insulting. Others have asked "which towns should I visit to find the southern charm", he visits uptown Charlotte for a few days, and makes a grand extrapolation for an entire region.

Incidentally, rental car agents are vastly underpaid, considering the amount of abuse they take. I was waiting for a ride at the Alamo at CLT, it took about 45 minutes for my ride to show up, so I sat there and watched people come in and out. More than 50% of the customers where rude. Needless to say, I would have either quit, or been arrested for scuffling with the customers had I worked there
That why I didn't respond to that thread, as well.

As far as DD goes, maybe I just have some tolerance for his reaction because I know from his previous posts he was very excited about the area and looking forward to change. I guess he fell into the mindset of NC being some magical utopia. His delivery was a little harsh, but I don't thing he was trying to hurt feelings. I think he was disappointed to see a lot of what he was trying to leave behind. Just my opinion. I'm surprised, though. I found the people in Charlotte to be quite friendly and charming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 12:26 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,093,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMom View Post
That why I didn't respond to that thread, as well.

As far as DD goes, maybe I just have some tolerance for his reaction because I know from his previous posts he was very excited about the area and looking forward to change. I guess he fell into the mindset of NC being some magical utopia. His delivery was a little harsh, but I don't thing he was trying to hurt feelings. I think he was disappointed to see a lot of what he was trying to leave behind. Just my opinion. I'm surprised, though. I found the people in Charlotte to be quite friendly and charming.
I must've missed those and definitely the ignoramus single guy's post - thank goodness. Still looking for the mint julep wagon, tho.... Be sweet.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:55 PM

111 posts, read 188,641 times
Hi Y'all...a transplanted NYer here. Living currently in Central FL and not liking it much. Thinking of the RDU area...I know, I know...we'd be known as halfbacks!! But we have to find a middle ground, my hubby loves the weather in FL and I love the snow...we figure the few inches that NC gets in the winter will be enough to salve my soul and he won't have to shovel!

Anyway...I'm not looking for Daisy Mae but I am looking for a little slower pace and drivers who are a *little* more considerate. I felt like I was at Daytona last night...3 mustangs racing each other on a 3 lane secondary road at 7:30 pm weaving in and out doing about 70. SCARY! Not to mention just plain rude. I don't like taking my life in my hands to go to a bookstore.

I'm hoping that the RDU area will be about like my hometown in western NY...I think the RDU population is about 20% higher (900K NY vs. 1.1M RDU) but there are three cities vs. the one in NY. I expect there to be traffic and I expect to run into the occaisional jerk...they are everywhere...but I'm generally tolerant and forgiving and I don't walk around with a chip on my shoulder. I'd just like to be able to drive 20-30 minutes and be out in the countryside. Is this a possibility if we live in the RDU area? Can we find some peace and quiet?

We're not looking for a mansion in a tract, we'd like just an average house, with room for a garden and some shade trees and a yard for our pups to run around in. I'm hoping to find folks with some of the same interests that I have, gardening, music, nature walks...

We're driving up over Thanksgiving to take a look around...I'm holding my breath...I don't know how much longer I can stand FL. I feel like a prisoner in my own home because it's so painful to get in the car and drive any where. I've always enjoyed getting in the car and exploring...can't do that here...it's not worth the risk - too many traffic fatalities.

Thanks for letting me "voice" my thoughts...

Old 11-09-2006, 02:03 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,397,237 times
When we visited Charlotte we felt it ws too built up (for US) & too much like certain areas of NY-NJ that WE did not like.
Then we moved on.
We did not expect to find small town charm in an affluent urban-suburban area.
Sometimes it is easy when reading on a board to lump Raleigh with Charlotte, Clayton with the Lake Norman area, etc., etc.
Summit & Elizabeth & Newark are nothing alike, for example, but are geographically close in NJ. .

Old 11-09-2006, 03:31 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,624,695 times
I lived 2 hours away from Charlotte for 20-something years and only visited a handful of times. In the past 6 months, I've visited quite a bit.

I'm sure that Charlotte still shows bits and pieces of the south. But as far as the areas I've visited, in no way, shape, or form is it southern. I guess it's a very subjective thing, you can't really quantify "southern". But IMO, the only thing "southern" about North Carolina's urban areas is their barbeque and their geographic location. I think suburban areas are hit-or-miss. As far as rural areas are concerned, you may as well be in Alabama or Georgia.

So, Dinky, I didn't take your post as being rude. I thought you really were being truthful, although I have to confess, your general ignorance of North Carolina was obvious. But like you said, you were just visiting. And I do agree with your observations about the faux-upper class in Charlotte. It almost makes me nauseated when I encounter the attitudes of certain people in S. Charlotte.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:34 PM

14 posts, read 36,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Ann View Post
Ya' know what ! you were looking in a mirror dufus, seeing your own kind who are ruining an area. And all the real estate hags are LOL. Stay in NJ where you belong.
Now THAT'S Southern hospitality!

Old 11-09-2006, 03:40 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,624,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDiva View Post
Now THAT'S Southern hospitality!
No, that's "Southern Fatigue". It takes a toll on some people to see their homes change into something they can't stand.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:22 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,397,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
.... And I do agree with your observations about the faux-upper class in Charlotte. It almost makes me nauseated when I encounter the attitudes of certain people in S. Charlotte...
That kind of culture is all over the country, it is a weird lifestyle that seems to spring up outside all urban areas.
Out on the main drag, you blink, you look around and ask, "Where am I?" Because there are the same stores, the same clothes on the people, the same cars, attitudes, everything is so eerily alike.
I have heard it been said that it is because of tv... (wow I sound ancient) that we all, as a culture, aspire to the same things.

Just remember that when these places sprout up in the NY metro area or Boston that they are as new to those places as they are to the southern & western places, they are snuffing out something unique there, too.

Old 11-10-2006, 04:27 AM

57 posts, read 203,646 times
Poor dinky sounds like a jersey quido, bling shining, skanks on either arm trying to look as cool as possible in his dad's Taurus Wagon.

Old 11-10-2006, 05:27 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,369,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMom View Post
I'm surprised, though. I found the people in Charlotte to be quite friendly and charming.
I have not visited Charlotte yet, but something tells me wherever you go NCMOM, people are friendly because you are too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or