Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 04:22 PM

16 posts, read 81,286 times

Advertisements

At first upon landing in Charlotte I was excited, I mean my first stop was the bathroom and they actually had fresh towels, mints, and even little cups for a mouthwash dispenser that was cool, so I was heading on out through the concourse and low and behold "Rocking Chairs" in the atrium on the way out! People on laptops rockin away sending off emails. I said to myself OK Dorothy we aint in Jersey anymore!

The Enterprise car rental guy at the airport was a total Jerk, if you see him tell him Dinky said so. Unfortunately it was kinda downhill for me from there, It was a tad slower than NJ but truthfully the people were not that "nice" maybe I had high expectations though(from the girls in the NC chamber of commerce and NC real estate office hags that hide on this board hoping to lure a NY/NJ fat cat with a wad of equity to come on down)

Ballantyne section in Charlotte was just like NJ, maybe the paint smelled newer. I was confused because it felt like NJ, and I never ran into any of that so called "Southern Hospitality" anywhere in that area. It was a spoiled brat, chic bunch of want to be new yorkers flaunting like they are manhattanites driving low end entry level luxury cars pretending to be New York, that I was hoping to leave behind. It was like the movies where we destroyed earth and to survive we would have to colonize space. It was like they finally destroyed the new york area and colonized ballantyne as the new New York.

Really, I am not sore. Just letting you have a small slice inside Dinkys brain of my initial thoughts. I must say that business's like hotels seemed to have a lil more business etiquette than NJ but that is a "hospitality business" I left feeling stale for the charlotte area it was interesting though.

I visited downtown and it was very strange to see a city area with no traffic on a Saturday at 2:00pm at one point I did not see a soul it was freaky it was like one of those movies.

I am not saying it was horrible or anything.The cost of living seemed higher than NJ, I went to Arbys it was 8.49 for a value meal? I just never connected to the reasons I was ever interested in the first place, I by no means make a final judgement on NC I only scratched a little hole so I could see,

But all I could see was New Jersey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2006, 05:43 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkydonuts View Post
At first upon landing in Charlotte I was excited, I mean my first stop was the bathroom and they actually had fresh towels, mints, and even little cups for a mouthwash dispenser that was cool, so I was heading on out through the concourse and low and behold "Rocking Chairs" in the atrium on the way out! People on laptops rockin away sending off emails. I said to myself OK Dorothy we aint in Jersey anymore!

The Enterprise car rental guy at the airport was a total Jerk, if you see him tell him Dinky said so. Unfortunately it was kinda downhill for me from there, It was a tad slower than NJ but truthfully the people were not that "nice" maybe I had high expectations though(from the girls in the NC chamber of commerce and NC real estate office hags that hide on this board hoping to lure a NY/NJ fat cat with a wad of equity to come on down)

Ballantyne section in Charlotte was just like NJ, maybe the paint smelled newer. I was confused because it felt like NJ, and I never ran into any of that so called "Southern Hospitality" anywhere in that area. It was a spoiled brat, chic bunch of want to be new yorkers flaunting like they are manhattanites driving low end entry level luxury cars pretending to be New York, that I was hoping to leave behind. It was like the movies where we destroyed earth and to survive we would have to colonize space. It was like they finally destroyed the new york area and colonized ballantyne as the new New York.

Really, I am not sore. Just letting you have a small slice inside Dinkys brain of my initial thoughts. I must say that business's like hotels seemed to have a lil more business etiquette than NJ but that is a "hospitality business" I left feeling stale for the charlotte area it was interesting though.

I visited downtown and it was very strange to see a city area with no traffic on a Saturday at 2:00pm at one point I did not see a soul it was freaky it was like one of those movies.

I am not saying it was horrible or anything.The cost of living seemed higher than NJ, I went to Arbys it was 8.49 for a value meal? I just never connected to the reasons I was ever interested in the first place, I by no means make a final judgement on NC I only scratched a little hole so I could see,

But all I could see was [font="Arial Black"]New Jersey[/FONT
... and your point would be what, exactly? We failed your test? What exactly were you expecting - Daisy Mae look-alikes giving out leis made of ham biscuits? Oops, sorry - just my observation and not interested in a debate. Be sweet, ya hear.....

Old 11-08-2006, 05:50 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,593 times
Very interesting responses to Dinkydonuts. The residents here complain that the Charlotte/Ballantyne areas are becoming just like NY/NJ, but when a visitor from NJ makes the same observation, he(she?) gets slammed.

Truly, I don't get it. I mean everyone on this forum has pretty much agreed that Charlotte has lost its Southern feel. I guess DD just wanted to see all the good things everyone has been talking about and was disappointed.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:18 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMom View Post
Very interesting responses to Dinkydonuts. The residents here complain that the Charlotte/Ballantyne areas are becoming just like NY/NJ, but when a visitor from NJ makes the same observation, he(she?) gets slammed.

Truly, I don't get it. I mean everyone on this forum has pretty much agreed that Charlotte has lost its Southern feel. I guess DD just wanted to see all the good things everyone has been talking about and was disappointed.
Did we read the same post? I generally ignore comments of this kind, but I felt that the remarks were rude and ugly. I surely slammed no one. and would apologize if that were the case. That said, I am personally tired of visitors who arrive expecting some sort of idyllic small southern town, perhaps, and then complaining that the place failed to meet his/her idea of "hospitality". Perhaps if DD had traveled beyond Charlotte, s/he would've experienced true NC hospitality instead of "NJ". By the way, I don't feel that Charlotte has lost it's "Southern feel" whatever that is; I find that people are just as polite and pleasant and personable to me as I am to them, and that would be anywhere I go, not only in Charlotte. G'night.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:24 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,593 times
No argument here about Charlotte. I love it. But I feel there is a difference the further you get from "Uptown". I just thought it incredible that some guy from Phoenix can start a thread about how bad the dating scene is in Charlotte because the women are fat rednecks who want to get "laid" and no one replies. The guy from Jersey gets it because he didn't like the fact that Charlotte has so many Northerners. I don't know maybe I'm missing something here.

Okay, so he was rude to realtors. We should be used to that!

Old 11-08-2006, 08:35 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,382 times
OMG! What happened here??? Dinky, JMHO, your choice of words could have been a bit more intelligent, but I'm not here to police anyone. Not ever having the privilege of visiting Charlotte myself, I'm really confused and a little aprehensive. 'Cause people from NJ/NY usually don't mince words and tell it like it is...although I don't agree with Dinky's critiscm about realtors (who have been nothing but nice and helpful), this post does makes me think HMMMM???

Last edited by stmaarten; 11-08-2006 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 11-08-2006, 09:42 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
OMG! What happened here??? Dinky, JMHO, your choice of words could have been a bit more intelligent, but I'm not here to police anyone. Not ever having the privilege of visiting Charlotte myself, I'm really confused and a little aprehensive. 'Cause people from NJ/NY usually don't mince words and tell it like it is...although I don't agree with Dinky's critiscm about realtors (who have been nothing but nice and helpful), this post does makes me think HMMMM???
Just an observation...Not that you are "old" stmaarten () but it seems to me that Dinkydonuts may be kind of young. I can see where to a youger 20-something coming from an area like NYC, Charlotte would seem very tame. The truth is - Charlotte is a family town. NOT that there aren't lots of singles here, but the whole atmosphere is geared more toward families. So, if someone young (or still pretending to be young by having to hang with their buds till 4 in the morning somewhere drinking) wanting the hard partying lifestyle settles here - they would most likely get bored real fast. Frankly, for me life is Charlotte moves at exactly the right pace. For those that need a faster one I'd say "don't let the door hit you on your backside on the way out"

Old 11-08-2006, 10:32 PM

94 posts, read 345,260 times
When I went to Jersey I couldn't see out of the windows at the airport for all the seagull ****! THEN, on the boardwalk at AC I was knocked down by some guy trying to steal my camera. But I never even thought to blame the whole state for it.

I agree with the others; your post is just rude and unnecessary.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:37 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
Quote:
No argument here about Charlotte. I love it. But I feel there is a difference the further you get from "Uptown". I just thought it incredible that some guy from Phoenix can start a thread about how bad the dating scene is in Charlotte because the women are fat rednecks who want to get "laid" and no one replies. The guy from Jersey gets it because he didn't like the fact that Charlotte has so many Northerners. I don't know maybe I'm missing something here.

Quote:

No one replied to the single guys thread b/c it was soooo obviously ridiculous that it wasn't worth the energy to hit the reply button. At least that's my reason.

The tell-tale signs of someone who is going to throw insult-javelins is when they begin with "I'm only telling it like it is" or "here are my thoughts...just being honest".

The premise of this thread is laughable at best but mostly insulting. Others have asked "which towns should I visit to find the southern charm", he visits uptown Charlotte for a few days, and makes a grand extrapolation for an entire region.

Incidentally, rental car agents are vastly underpaid, considering the amount of abuse they take. I was waiting for a ride at the Alamo at CLT, it took about 45 minutes for my ride to show up, so I sat there and watched people come in and out. More than 50% of the customers where rude. Needless to say, I would have either quit, or been arrested for scuffling with the customers had I worked there

Old 11-09-2006, 06:45 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times
Once again the bottom line is.....most of the time the way people treat you is in response to your attitude and treatment of them. A miserable person will be a miserable person in NJ, NC, CA, NY......! Although your post was loaded with sarcasm Dinky it got lost in the overall tone of being insulting. I suppose perhaps this is the NJ way of saying "bless her heart".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte