U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 02:34 PM

166 posts, read 141,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
If you want speeds > 100M, you will need a supported mode. There are only 4 supported modems that TWC will configure to do so. Most people IMO, will want the Motorola SB6183.

Otherwise your upper limit will be 100M or less or no matter what plan you are on. If you rent a modem, I'm not sure if they will provide one that works for the faster speeds.

Buy Your Own Internet Modem
i have the surfboard sb6121 and I already get over 100mbps, but I will keep your higher model surboard modem in mind. By the way, I never rent modems. I buy them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 03:30 PM

5,557 posts, read 6,675,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I had put in the new modem, Arris TG1672G, and noticed my speeds went waaay down. I used to get a consistent 35 mbps and since I put in the new one, I am getting speeds from 2 mbps to 10 mbps. I thought it was because they are working in the area to put in the higher speeds. But now I am wondering if it's the modem. I am going to call and see if I can swap it out for another model. My router I bought last year and can handle the higher speeds.
momtothree - I had the same experience last night with friends who got the Arris TG1672G and didn't realize that this model has a built-in wireless router and hooked it up to their existing wireless router in the same way their previous cable modem was hooked up. It's also huge and unless you set it up vertically, seems to run a bit hot.

I got home last night to download the manual for thr TG1672G, in hopes that I could turn off the wireless router section built in to it. I don't think you can. The reason I attempted this, is because just recently, I went shopping with them to get a new wireless-ac router. The Arris can only do wireless N.

They were, in essence, running two wireless routers at the same time and it slowed their overall internet speed down to a crawl. I only noticed this because I accidently hit the WPS button on the side of the cable modem and it reset it back to the defaults. Somehow, their SSID was cloned by the Arris which is why I didn't notice it had its own built-in wireless router. I was left wondering where their old SSID went. The problem is, that there are very few high speed (over 100mbps) cable modems with built-in telephony on the market. So if you are in love with Time-Warner phone service you may not have much choice. But unless you are aware that this model also has a built-in wireless router, I think you could end up like my friends with 2!

I understand why TWC is giving out this model as it is one of the few that has 16 bonding channels down and if you have the old 30mbps download speed and it gets upped to over 100mbps you'd be getting less bandwith than you're entitled to. But I wish they had a model that could do the high speeds and telephony without having a wireless router built in. This is going to confuse more than a few people!

Old 08-12-2015, 04:56 PM

44,500 posts, read 17,771,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepalmtrees View Post
i have the surfboard sb6121 and I already get over 100mbps, but I will keep your higher model surboard modem in mind. By the way, I never rent modems. I buy them.
That modem lacks the ability to bond enough channels to provide that speed on TWC in this area.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
That modem lacks the ability to bond enough channels to provide that speed on TWC in this area.
You're spot on! You'd need at least a 6141 for up to 100mbps.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:31 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,883,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
momtothree - I had the same experience last night with friends who got the Arris TG1672G and didn't realize that this model has a built-in wireless router and hooked it up to their existing wireless router in the same way their previous cable modem was hooked up. It's also huge and unless you set it up vertically, seems to run a bit hot.

I got home last night to download the manual for thr TG1672G, in hopes that I could turn off the wireless router section built in to it. I don't think you can. The reason I attempted this, is because just recently, I went shopping with them to get a new wireless-ac router. The Arris can only do wireless N.

They were, in essence, running two wireless routers at the same time and it slowed their overall internet speed down to a crawl. I only noticed this because I accidently hit the WPS button on the side of the cable modem and it reset it back to the defaults. Somehow, their SSID was cloned by the Arris which is why I didn't notice it had its own built-in wireless router. I was left wondering where their old SSID went. The problem is, that there are very few high speed (over 100mbps) cable modems with built-in telephony on the market. So if you are in love with Time-Warner phone service you may not have much choice. But unless you are aware that this model also has a built-in wireless router, I think you could end up like my friends with 2!

I understand why TWC is giving out this model as it is one of the few that has 16 bonding channels down and if you have the old 30mbps download speed and it gets upped to over 100mbps you'd be getting less bandwith than you're entitled to. But I wish they had a model that could do the high speeds and telephony without having a wireless router built in. This is going to confuse more than a few people!

You can turn off the wireless router in this new modem. I did this and there's no wireless network emanating from the modem, just my router.. I do get my original speeds of 30ish up but more often under 10 up these last couple of days. I only have Internet and cable with twc. I'm scheduled for the 19th for the free "upgrade". I'll wait till then and see how it goes.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
You're spot on! You'd need at least a 6141 for up to 100mbps.
that's not even true. He meant for 300mbps. My internet is 125mbps and my sb 6121 works perfectly.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:29 PM

111 posts, read 136,051 times
I'm still only getting 30-40 Mbps on 2.4 ghz and 60-70 Mbps on 5 ghz wirelessly. Been on the phone with TWC on multiple occasions. They changed some settings and rebooted the modem remotely but still no change. I am getting 200 Mbps hardwired. Hope someone finds a solution for wi-fi signal not living up to the promise speeds.

Quote:

Old 08-12-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
You can turn off the wireless router in this new modem. I did this and there's no wireless network emanating from the modem, just my router.. I do get my original speeds of 30ish up but more often under 10 up these last couple of days. I only have Internet and cable with twc. I'm scheduled for the 19th for the free "upgrade". I'll wait till then and see how it goes.
momtothree : How did you do that? I went on DSL Reports and there were people complaining about it. I heard the TG1672G can be set to "bridge mode" in order to deactivate the wireless section of the cable modem. With most cable modems you can reach their internal settings by going to 192.168.100.1 Is the info in there? I didn't have enough time last night to get to that stage ...as my friends somehow updated their computer to Windows 10 and were mystified enough by that alone!

Oh, and by the way, Monroe was upgraded to the higher speeds last night at 1:45 AM and I went from 18mbps to 95. My upload speeds have remained unchanged at .4mbps. I wonder why? Oh well, never look a gift horse in the mouth!

Old 08-12-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldclasscity View Post
I'm still only getting 30-40 Mbps on 2.4 ghz and 60-70 Mbps on 5 ghz wirelessly. Been on the phone with TWC on multiple occasions. They changed some settings and rebooted the modem remotely but still no change. I am getting 200 Mbps hardwired. Hope someone finds a solution for wi-fi signal not living up to the promise speeds.
The solution is to buy your own higher end router, of course.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:30 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,883,428 times
Quote:
momtothree : How did you do that? I went on DSL Reports and there were people complaining about it. I heard the TG1672G can be set to "bridge mode" in order to deactivate the wireless section of the cable modem. With most cable modems you can reach their internal settings by going to 192.168.100.1 Is the info in there? I didn't have enough time last night to get to that stage ...as my friends somehow updated their computer to Windows 10 and were mystified enough by that alone!

Oh, and by the way, Monroe was upgraded to the higher speeds last night at 1:45 AM and I went from 18mbps to 95. My upload speeds have remained unchanged at .4mbps. I wonder why? Oh well, never look a gift horse in the mouth!

Yes, I was able to totem of the wireless using the 192.168 etc site. TWC gave me the tech code to do so. Just give them a call and they will walk you through it. Make site you do it for both 2.4 and 5 networks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte