U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 09:17 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,657,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Besides feeding kids (as Loves pointed out) - there is the risk of power outage - so you can't cook.

Now other members can correct me if my memory is fuzzy. I am sure about the 2002 storm b/c we had just moved in and not been here but a matter of days . . . and an ice storm hit and our power was off for five days. Lost everything in the freezer (had leftovers from T'giving in freezer)

Then I think the next year (or was it 2004?) our power was off twice. Once for three days, once for two days. We could not get out of our driveway b/c of the layer of ice (no matter how much ice melt - it won't help that stuff).

I keep a very stocked pantry, but bread and milk are perishables. If the power is off, you can feed your family:

Peanut butter sandwiches, tuna sandwiches, cereal w/ milk, peanut butter crackers, cheese sandwiches, berries w/ milk - plus all fresh fruits you may have. You can survive quite a few days like that. When you have kids, you can also use milk to make instant pudding, and you can add berries or fruit to the pudding.

When the power is off, then you grab meat out of the freezer and put it on the grill, assuming your grill is close to the house. You may fall and bruise your tuckus if you try to negotiate on icy steps, however!

We also keep canned sardines, as we like them, and eat them w/ crackers. Not for everyone, but great source of protein.

So there you have it. The bread and milk run is to keep everyone fed for several days.

It's always good to be prepared. You never know how long the power will be out. Back in 2002, parts of Gaston county were without power for 14 days.

ETA: WBTV is forcasting more snow on Saturday.

Quote:
Amounts here could range from four to six inches of snow, and possibly heavier depending on the track and moisture content of the storm. Conversely, should the storm take a path farther east as it comes up the coast, snowfall amounts would be drastically less. So this is far from a sure thing, but seeing that we are less than 48 hours from this event, it is important to let you know what we are seeing, and therefore giving you a chance to plan for the worst.

Last edited by NCgirl; 01-17-2008 at 09:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte