U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 06:30 PM

119 posts, read 159,668 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any good property management companies they would recommend for Charlotte? If so, what are the typical charges for that company? I am moving outside of the city and would like rent out my one bedroom condo. I've done some research and have read where the management company typically takes most of the first months rent and takes 8 - 10% off each months rent following the first month, which seems fair, but then someone was telling me where they get charged a fee anytime the tenant calls the management company for anytime they need to visit the property. Ex. The tenant calls about the light not turning on and the bulb needs replaced. The owner gets charged a fee of roughly $80 for the visit by the management company. I was assuming this would fall into the 8 - 10% charge and only actual repairs needed would be charged.

I was wondering if this is typically with management companies, as if you have a picky tenant calling for every small thing... you could really lose a lot of money on the charges for each visit by the management company.

Appreciate any feedback, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 10:49 PM

15 posts, read 43,774 times
I work for a property management company and yes, we do charge the unit owner whenever a maintenance person is called out to the unit. The reason is because someone has to pay for that labor. In theory, if the labor is to improve/maintain the unit, the owner should pay for it.

However, $80 per visit sounds excessive. We charge by the hour and give every unit the first half hour free every month as a courtesy.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:42 AM

186 posts, read 214,960 times
I use MECA for my Dilworth condo. The charge is 9%/month. On service and repair calls they charge some percentage of the cost as an additional fee to cover their cost for response. There have been few of those so I cannot recall the actual percentage. They have been quite responsive to any concerns I have. I think a higher quality unit receives better service, IMO.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:48 AM

163 posts, read 397,060 times
sent dm

Old 04-19-2015, 11:21 AM

119 posts, read 159,668 times
Appreciate all of the feedback! I'm going to reach out to the few mentioned by comment/dm. The visit charge sounds common from the responses, but $80 per visit sounds on the high end, which is good to know.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:39 PM

900 posts, read 1,395,759 times
For a condo? Seems like a waste of money to me.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:22 AM

4,760 posts, read 6,406,696 times
Make sure you find out their policies on eviction. On top of the $126 cost payable to the clerk of court, they may charge to file and then charge again to actually go to court. Most of these costs are never recouped, leaving the owner paying that bill as well. Don't just focus on the monthly fee and the service call fees.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:13 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,776,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCRugbyNo1 View Post
For a condo? Seems like a waste of money to me.
Depends on how far away the OP is moving, and how he values his time.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:27 AM

4,760 posts, read 6,406,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post

That and not knowing all of the landlord-tenant laws can land you in some pretty hot water. You're absolutely right. Managing it may not even be possible because of where the OP is moving. It's not practical to travel halfway across the country to file an eviction and then return 2 weeks later for court.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:54 PM

900 posts, read 1,395,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Moving has nothing to do with it. Call a handy man to fix everything. What else is there to fix? HVAC?

You pay HOA to fix all the big exterior things. Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or