U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 12:51 PM

149 posts, read 219,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Shrimp and grits isn't Piedmont southern. Neither is cheese and grits. IMO, these were made up for non-Southerners. I grew up in the South and never heard of this combination until about 20 years or so when the transplants started showing up. Grits should only be eaten with a little butter or if you must some gravy. Another hugely favorite way to eat grits in these parts, which you will never see in the restaurants (except the ones only known to locals) is with stewed tomatoes that were home canned from the previous crop. These are the kinds of grits that I grew up with in Charlotte.

Southern cornbread absolutely doesn't have sugar in it. No Sugar. The batter also has to be poured in an extremely hot cast iron frying pan that was well oiled or greased. (put it in the preheating oven) Anything else is a cake that would be laughed at in the South. There is an episode of America Test Kitchen that shows exactly how to make Southern cornbread. I recommend watching it as it explains why you must use buttermilk, and the proper technique.

Collard greens are OK. My preference is for mustard and turnip greens. You should try these.
Word for word, I agree. Those are authentic Southern techniques.

Last edited by barbecue_is_a_noun; 07-10-2011 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 05:15 PM

58 posts, read 107,157 times
yeah, I know, sugar is a no-no in cornbread!
Just curious if those on this message board think Paula Dean is a true representation of southern cooking?

Old 07-10-2011, 05:22 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,793,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylarc View Post
Just curious if those on this message board think Paula Dean is a true representation of southern cooking?
No, not as depicted on the Food Network. Southern cooking is about being economical because everyone was poor and her shows are anything but that. Food Network has most likely told Paula to go way over the top, like the rest of their cooking shows.

I have heard that her restaurant in Savannah is horrible, overpriced, and bad service.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:35 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,608,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylarc View Post
yeah, I know, sugar is a no-no in cornbread!

I think at the core, yes. She has known what poor is. But just like most anything on tv its puff and fluff. Many of her recipes do resemble old South cooking.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:35 PM

467 posts, read 863,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
I have heard that her restaurant in Savannah is horrible, overpriced, and bad service.
Paula Deen's restaurant in Savannah is where clueless tourists go for a mediocre and overpriced buffet that's no better than K&W. Those with a palate for real Southern food go to The Wilkes House for some seriously good family-style Southern eating as good as I've had since my late grandmother's Thanksgiving feasts in S. Georgia.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:04 PM

I have a great recipe for the kids. It is called BUTTER JEWELS. wonderful for the holidays and they are so delicious:
BUTTER JEWELS

3/4 lb butter
1 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
4 cups plain flour
pinch salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Cream butter, sugar well. Add egg yolks, salt, vanilla.

Add flour in parts - mixing well after each addition.

Roll small marble sized balls.

Place on ungreased baking sheet.

Dent top with thumb - fill with small amt of jelly of choice. (i use many varieties).

Bake 350* for 15 minutes - watch closely.

Dust with powdered sugar.

Yields - 5 dozen

Old 07-16-2011, 01:13 PM

Default Stuffed Celery

Stuffed Celery

1 C Cream Cheese
1/2 cup Pecahhhhns
1 pkg celery
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper (optional)
pinch garlic powder

wash celery and dry good - string it

cut in half

Use electric blender and blend cream cheese and pecans til smooth

add salt, pepper, garlic powder.

spoon filling into piiping bag or ziploc bag and snip off end.

pipe into prepared celery stalks.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:03 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,160,016 times
Shrimp and grits is LOWCOUNTRY Southern cooking. Southern cooking is regional.

Paula Deen is a coastal Southern cook. She combines some of the lowcountry recipes w/ other Southern standbys - and also creates some of her own combos.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:48 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,302,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Shrimp and grits is LOWCOUNTRY Southern cooking. Southern cooking is regional.

Paula Deen is a coastal Southern cook. She combines some of the lowcountry recipes w/ other Southern standbys - and also creates some of her own combos.

I can't handle shrimp and grits. I was raised on grits and eggs. I love grits and red-eye gravy!

My favorite low country southern cooking is Frogmore Stew.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:18 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,793,596 times
Southern cooks used to routinely use pressure cookers for day to day cooking. My grandmother cooked in one all the time. Does anyone here use one and if so, what brand do you use?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte