U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:57 AM

21,963 posts, read 27,247,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbecue_is_a_noun View Post
I was born in the low country, Charleston SC, and my Uncle - my daddy's brother, would always cook She-Crab Soup when I went to visit him. That is some of the most delicious stuff ever to grace my mouth.

I also loved to go shrimping in Holden Beach, NC - dragging the net - a person of each side to collect the shrimp.

She-Crab soup is big in Baltimore. It's also very popular on the Delmarva peninsula, South Jersey & Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 11:01 AM

149 posts, read 218,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
She-Crab soup is big in Baltimore. It's also very popular on the Delmarva peninsula, South Jersey & Philadelphia.

as it should be. She Crab Soup is deliciousness in a bowl.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:04 AM

9,911 posts, read 9,299,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
cook it with pork fatback until it becomes mush and you are a southern cook.
Certain things I cook I always wash my pork fatback to get some of the salt out of it. Then fry it out crisp in my cast iron frying pan. The fried fatback is good eating on a biscuit too. Other things like green beans or dried beans I just throw a piece of fatback in but I don't cook it until it's mush. It may be a bit floppy but not mush.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:25 AM

149 posts, read 218,994 times
who here grew up stringing and breaking bushels full of green beans???

always dreaded that lol - Mama would can them after that and put them up for the winter.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:50 AM

21,963 posts, read 27,247,096 times
Quote:

always dreaded that lol - Mama would can them after that and put them up for the winter.
I grew up stringing & snapping beans (not by the bushel) & stringing & shelling peas, in Michigan. Beans were referred to as snap beans.

Last edited by southbound_295; 07-18-2011 at 12:00 PM..

Old 07-18-2011, 11:58 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,792,443 times
Quote:

Oh yes. Green beans, shelling peas, butter beans, etc. Not exactly high on the list of things that kids want to do.

Interestingly, I spent the weekend planting a 1/2 pound of lima bean seed. Assuming I can keep the rabbits out of it until it comes up, I plan to can these in the late summer. Back of my legs are still hurting. lol I guess perceptions of this change with time. Now that I am adult, I look back fondly at those times when I was a kid.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:42 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,792,443 times
How about Boiled Peanuts? As far as I can tell, this is something that is pretty unique to the Carolinas. It's hard to get them made correctly. They either have not been boiled long enough or they don't have enough salt in them. We used to make them at home but they take a long time to cook. I've got a recent innovation where I stumbled upon a pressure canned recipe that was developed in the 1980s. It lets you eat a small batch anytime you want some.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:47 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,605,281 times
Quote:

Oh gosh yes! On a good summer, I thought the stringing and breaking would never end.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:38 PM

38 posts, read 65,748 times
Growing up, Sunday afternoons were spend with my grandparents, parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins stringing and breaking buckets full of beans on my grandma's back porch. My fingers hurt then, but the memories are great now. We also grew up "knowing" that the only way to cook squash was to cover it will flower and corn meal and fry it in a cast iron pan.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:37 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,007,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
How about Boiled Peanuts? As far as I can tell, this is something that is pretty unique to the Carolinas. It's hard to get them made correctly. They either have not been boiled long enough or they don't have enough salt in them. We used to make them at home but they take a long time to cook. I've got a recent innovation where I stumbled upon a pressure canned recipe that was developed in the 1980s. It lets you eat a small batch anytime you want some.
I'd like that recipe if you're willing to share...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte