U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 02:52 AM

149 posts, read 219,331 times

Advertisements

love all the stories about breaking beans!

And yes, I also grew up watching my dad boil peanuts. yummmm. Must be a Charleston thing. I love me a bag of boiled peanuts!!

I would love the recipe - do think there is a recipe for the crockpot? i couldnt imagine there is - seems like you have to use a pressure cooker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 05:11 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,797,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I'd like that recipe if you're willing to share...
Sure thing. When I get back to my other computer later today, I'll post it.

BBQ_is_a_noun - I've never heard of boiled peanuts in a crock pot but I assume it can be done.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:05 AM

Here is the recipe for canned boiled peanuts.

You will need fresh peanuts and salt. I recommend that you start looking at the farmers markets because local peanuts should start showing up there in the next month or so. When I was a young'un we used to grow them in the garden and harvested them in late August.

(For anyone else contemplating this, absolutely DO NOT use a water bath canner for peanuts. You have to use a pressure canner. In addition, don't think you can use that expensive European pressure cooker that you got at Williams Sonoma or similar. They don't produce the advertised or correct pressures for this. )

Recipe below:

-----------------------
  • After picking and cleaning peanuts, you will want to blanch them in boiling water for 10 minutes.
  • Drain and pack hot peanuts in jars. You will want to add 1 TBS of salt for pints, 2 TBS salt for quarts.
  • Fill with hot water 1/2 inch from top.
  • Process in pressure canner for 42 minutes at 10 lbs. (follow instructions for venting and cooling)
----------------------------
If you are successful with the canning process (tops pop) then these can be stored indefinitely. I've found that when you are ready to eat a jar that you need to drain the jar and put it in a pot of unsalted water and then boil for 15 minutes. They are really good if you then drain them and put them in a ziplock bag and let them cool off in the fridge.

It's Carolina Caviar.

Last edited by yantosh22; 07-19-2011 at 11:14 AM..

Old 07-19-2011, 12:54 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,623,200 times
some of you will like this article on BBQ....

South Carolina's Four Provinces...of BBQ - FoxNews.com

Old 07-19-2011, 02:11 PM

181 posts, read 302,348 times
to weigh in on the shrimp and grits,here is a recipe from a Charleston cookbook circa 1950. It's still in print today. There are 20 shrimp recipes alone in here. It clearly says shrimp has long been served with grits(hominy) so it isn't some new food network recipe. I'm also posting a spoon bread recipe from the same book that someone mentioned back in this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Southern Cooking-dump-056.jpg   Southern Cooking-dump-057.jpg   Southern Cooking-dump-058.jpg  

Old 07-19-2011, 02:21 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,020,346 times
This thread is KILLING me! I had a tonsillectomy a week ago and haven't been able to eat anything but I've been mentally savoring many of the dishes in this thread! I have a dinner list about an arms length long for when I'm actually able to chew and swallow again...

On the positive side, I have lost 10 pounds.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:39 PM

149 posts, read 219,331 times
Sorry about that Native_Son - I hope you feel better soon so you can get back to some delicious southern cooking!

I bet you do have a long list! I would too!

Old 07-19-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC72 View Post
to weigh in on the shrimp and grits,here is a recipe from a Charleston cookbook circa 1950. It's still in print today. There are 20 shrimp recipes alone in here. It clearly says shrimp has long been served with grits(hominy) so it isn't some new food network recipe. I'm also posting a spoon bread recipe from the same book that someone mentioned back in this thread.
Hominy isn't grits. LOL While I do admit that people would eat corn that had been processed into hominy, it was generally considered only suitable for animals.

My Aunt, BTW, helped to put that cookbook together in the 1970's iteration of it. It proves well enough at the time, that what is now known as "Shrimp & Grits" was not a a dish of the Carolinas.

Shrimp in those days were not held in that high regard. As I mentioned earlier it was often cut up into bait and used to catch spots and other migrating fish from the coast of SC back in the day. These fish were highly prized and often deepfried in lard after being coated with a mixture of cornmeal, salt & pepper.

Last edited by yantosh22; 07-19-2011 at 04:02 PM..

Old 07-19-2011, 05:26 PM

181 posts, read 302,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Hominy isn't grits. LOL While I do admit that people would eat corn that had been processed into hominy, it was generally considered only suitable for animals.

My Aunt, BTW, helped to put that cookbook together in the 1970's iteration of it. It proves well enough at the time, that what is now known as "Shrimp & Grits" was not a a dish of the Carolinas.

Shrimp in those days were not held in that high regard. As I mentioned earlier it was often cut up into bait and used to catch spots and other migrating fish from the coast of SC back in the day. These fish were highly prized and often deepfried in lard after being coated with a mixture of cornmeal, salt & pepper.
There are a half dozen recipes in that same cookbook for hominy. One is pretty much refined into grits. It's splitting hairs really. I guess we can agree that the dish has come a long way.and there is this quote

Never call it "Hominy Grits"
Or you will give Charlestonians fits!
When it comes from the mill, it's "grist"
After you cook it well, I wist,
You serve "hominy"! Do not skimp;
Serve butter with it and lots of shrimp.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:58 PM

Mashed hominy is mush. Nothing like grits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte