U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 06:01 PM

21,858 posts, read 27,133,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Mashed hominy is mush. Nothing like grits.
I make fried mush. Mush is cormeal & water, cooked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 06:46 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,785,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I make fried mush. Mush is cormeal & water, cooked.
I've seen hogs slopped with this mixture too. They aren't that picky though as they don't require it to be fried.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:04 PM

181 posts, read 301,197 times
hominy can be ground into grits. The Hominy Grill in Charleston has shrimp and grits as a house specialty. If shrimp and grits isn't South Carolina coastal, tell us all where it came from.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:27 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,785,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC72 View Post
.....If shrimp and grits isn't South Carolina coastal, tell us all where it came from.
Read back through the topic. It's already been discussed.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I've seen hogs slopped with this mixture too. They aren't that picky though as they don't require it to be fried.
Fried mush is like fried scrapple, minus the pig parts.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:38 PM

181 posts, read 301,197 times
Quote:
Read back through the topic. It's already been discussed.
Yes, it was. Your opinion is the only one saying it's not piedmont,SC, coastal, low country or whatever. Plenty of others say it is. Just because you never heard of it until 20 yrs ago doesn't mean it wasn't going on. Besides, a large number of transplants don't even like grits. Can't imagine catering to them with two grit based dishes.

your quote:Shrimp and grits isn't Piedmont southern. Neither is cheese and grits. IMO, these were made up for non-Southerners. I grew up in the South and never heard of this combination until about 20 years or so when the transplants started showing up.

or:I still don't believe this

Old 07-19-2011, 08:43 PM

149 posts, read 218,416 times
stewed apples
fried fruit pies
stuffed celery
pound cake
bundt cakes
carrot and raisin salad
banana and hellmans sandwiches
5 cup salad
pumpkin pie
broken glass cake
strawberries in champagne served with powdered sugar
cucumber tea sandwiches
vege tea sandwiches
Haystacks
Blueberry Pie
Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese filling
Apple Crisp

These are southern to me. I grew up making all these delicious occasional treats. These are the ones I dont think have been listed.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbecue_is_a_noun View Post
stewed apples
fried fruit pies
stuffed celery
pound cake
bundt cakes
carrot and raisin salad
banana and hellmans sandwiches
5 cup salad
pumpkin pie
broken glass cake
strawberries in champagne served with powdered sugar
cucumber tea sandwiches
vege tea sandwiches
Haystacks
Blueberry Pie
Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese filling
Apple Crisp

These are southern to me. I grew up making all these delicious occasional treats. These are the ones I dont think have been listed.
My mother made stewed apples & stewed prunes, though we preferred baked apples to stewed, & honestly preferred the stewed prunes to stewed apples. I vaguely remember someone making stewed pears.

My mother made the stuffed celery just the same as you described it, but she & my friends' mothers just used a knife to put it in the celery. My mother got the recipe from somebody & I think it was one of those "all the rage" things.

The bundt cake was a national craze.

The carrot & raisin salad was one of those recipes that women sold to one another, like red cake. I forget the name of it. I think it originated in a fancy restaurant, allegedly. I didn't love it, but preferred it to Waldorf Salad.

Pumpkin pie is not Southern, unless there is something unique in the Southern recipes. Same goes for blueberry pie.

In the Midwest there were 2 of the banana sandwiches. banana & peanut butter which sometimes had mayonaise or Miracle Whip, and banana & marshmallow whip, sometimes with peanut butter.

My mother made apple crisp, apple pan dowdy, & apple birds nest.

We never heard of the carrot cake w/cream cheese frosting until we hit the MidAtlantic. It was everywhere, there.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:29 PM

149 posts, read 218,416 times
good post. Yes, I realized a lot were national crazes, but I had to list them cause that is what was southern to me. Maybe not indiginous (sp) to NC, but so good!!!!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbecue_is_a_noun View Post
good post. Yes, I realized a lot were national crazes, but I had to list them cause that is what was southern to me. Maybe not indiginous (sp) to NC, but so good!!!!
I understand. I'm not trying to pick at you. Keep in mind that some of the local recipes came down from the MidAtlantic & then went to the Midwest as the country was settled. (especially the PA Dutch/German recipes) That doesn't mean that some of those really old recipes don't diverge, slightly, because an ingredient might have been scarce somewhere.

Now Depression era food would have been extremely regional. Have any of those? (I know that they won't be fancy. . .)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte