U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 07:29 PM

51 posts, read 63,970 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving to the Lake Norman area. We have a second grader. He goes to a wonderful small public school in north Ohio and we are searching for the best options in the area. Our priority is a great school district. We also would be open for a private school. We are looking for a friendly and safe community. Houses between 300k - 500k. So far my favorite places are: Davidson, Cornelius and Huntersville. Any advice would be really appreciated!
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 09:21 PM

191 posts, read 317,279 times
Hi, welcome! There are so many things to consider when choosing a great school. Could you tell me some more info about what matters most for your family; size, available funds, special education programs, parental involvement, extra curricular activities? Have you looked into Mooresville, specifically areas within Iredell county school system (ISS)? We have many great neighborhoods that fit your price range, and in certain section of Mooresville, you would see a significant tax savings. My children attended woodland heights elementary and we couldn't have been happier. I have one now in the middle school, and one in the high school...and we are still pleased. I'm quite active in the schools in my local area, so if you have questions specific to a school in my district, I'd be happy to provide what I know!

Old 04-22-2015, 01:26 PM

Hi, thank you for you response. My son loves sports, in special Baseball. He is very sociable. He is a great kid and love to make new friends. He speaks english and portuguese. I'm brazilian and my husband is an american. His school is very small. From kindergarten to high school is less than 500 kids. All the parents are very involved with everything at the school. I help every week with different activities. If we can't find the right public school for him we will go for private school. My husband is very active and out going. He likes fishing, boating, golfing and he is always playing with my son outside. My soon always has extra curricular activities. We are very concern and involved with everything. I always have kids over for play date. We have a very intense social life. But I'm tired of cold weather, otherwise we would stay here. I didn't check Mooresville because my friend was telling me about the bad traffic. I still doing a lot of research. Can you tell me more about the traffic problem?

Old 04-22-2015, 01:35 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,778,931 times
Where will you and/or your husband be working? In Charlotte? Uptown?

Old 04-22-2015, 02:22 PM

I don't work. My husband has a home office and travels couple of times a month.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:27 PM

I think most of the traffic issues you have heard about are in regard to people commuting into Charlotte every day. If your husband isn't commuting, you can live virtually anywhere without traffic being an issue.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:38 PM

How about driving to the Charlotte airport?

Old 04-22-2015, 02:41 PM

The airport is less than an hour from Mooresville.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:54 PM

I was looking the crime rates at Neighborhoods Scout and shows hight for Mooresville. Is that right? What are the best neighborhoods? Best schools?

Old 04-22-2015, 08:25 PM

191 posts, read 317,279 times
My husband travels to the airport weekly without problems, he just works around the standard commute times. Our schools are top rated and the atmosphere you seem to be wanting can definitely be found at Woodland Heights Elementry and also Lake Norman Elem. (this Amy be true of other local schools as well, but I can personally attest to these two). Try checking the PTO website for each school and that will give you a good idea about social activites where families can get involved. The Pto is a good source to view what additional funding may be available to the school as well. Both of these schools are larger, but have a very friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have many international parents, and I think you will feel very welcome. The areas close to the lake are really quite nice, and we have lots of athletic opportunities through youth YMCA and SIAA rec leagues. Woodland height elem has tours on Tuesday and Thursday. A trip to our area would help a great deal and to be able to see some of the neighborhoods in person. My last client is actually from Brazil, and her husband from Russia. Their little boy will be starting WHE in the fall and they really are pleased with the area. Let me know if I can help out more, or feel free to message me any other questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or