Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2015, 12:26 AM

12 posts, read 31,317 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am contemplating a move to Charlotte and am very curious as to how it fares being single there. I come from Nashville where it's very easy to meet people. I've lived in places like Grand Rapids, MI and Minneapolis where it was more difficult. About me:

31 years old
White Female
Sales/Marketing professional
Like: Trying new restaurants/bars, City Events (galas, food/wine festivals, art festivals, etc.), parks and recreation

Any candid thoughts would be greatly appreciated, as I am a little concerned about a big change!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 12:48 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
I don't know much about Charlotte but Nashville is a very friendly welcoming place to meet people so it could be a hard adjustment. I met my gf in Nashville. I heard Charlotte is pretty nice overall but the nightlife is not that great, its a big banking town and people tend to get married early there and move to the suburbs, just what I heard but I could be wrong. Good Luck in your search.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:00 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Lots of young, single professionals in Charlotte. People in your age range are moving there in droves. Uptown, Southend, NODA and Plaza Midwood neighborhoods are full of restaurants, clubs, etc. Great craft beer scene. Many festivals, special events, etc.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:18 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris10gail View Post
Hello! I am contemplating a move to Charlotte and am very curious as to how it fares being single there. I come from Nashville where it's very easy to meet people. I've lived in places like Grand Rapids, MI and Minneapolis where it was more difficult. About me:

31 years old
White Female
Sales/Marketing professional
Like: Trying new restaurants/bars, City Events (galas, food/wine festivals, art festivals, etc.), parks and recreation

Any candid thoughts would be greatly appreciated, as I am a little concerned about a big change!
You'll fit right in NoDa, Plaza-Midwood, SouthEnd, Dilworth, or Elizabeth. Lots of young professionals in those areas and they're very friendly and walkable. NoDa and Plaza Midwood contain the best restaurants and bars in my opinion.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:58 AM

140 posts, read 169,981 times
Yes there are lots of young professionals type of people in clt.

Sometimes our club scene is lacking. Otoh, our bar scene is pretty good. Echo just opened and I'm going to check it out tonight; Every neighborhood has its own bars and in general, you can find a nice variety in any neighborhood.

Our restaurant scene is growing. So far we have a nice range of all cuisines, budgets, and ambiances.

North Carolina is one of the top states for craft beer, and CLT has plenty of breweries if that's your thing. NC also has lots of wines and vineyards too.

There seems to be another festival every week. Beer, Barbeque, Arts/craft, and on and on! I socialize in the fashion community and there are plenty of events there too. Also we are starting to have a nice art scene. Winston and Asheville do too, but Charlotte always seemed to be lacking in that regard. We have a few nice museums around to check out.

Meeting people and making conversation usually isn't too difficult. People tend to be friendly enough and usually if you go to a small restaurant or brewery, you'll start to see the regulars. Also check out social media for local events. Each venue promotes heavily so you'll know what's coming up.

Any specific questions, fire away!

Old 04-18-2015, 10:37 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I don't know much about Charlotte but Nashville is a very friendly welcoming place to meet people so it could be a hard adjustment. I met my gf in Nashville. I heard Charlotte is pretty nice overall but the nightlife is not that great, its a big banking town and people tend to get married early there and move to the suburbs, just what I heard but I could be wrong. Good Luck in your search.
Agreed.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:54 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
You should've stopped your post after the word Charlotte because you DON'T know....all you'll do is wake up the haters who are compelled to co-sign. The OP will be fine in Charlotte if they somehow survived the 24/7 pace of the madness that is Nashville.

For such a "bland" city, this forum is on fire....seems everybody from Phoenix to Atlanta is compelled to check it out. Yep, people do get married and move to the burbs....everywhere, even in Vegas.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:11 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981
I don't know much about Charlotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Agreed.
Now that makes sense.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:46 AM

23 posts, read 64,859 times
What ZeusAV said! Plus try meetup.com. They have plenty of singles groups and activities to get you started.

Find your people -Singles Meetup Groups in Charlotte

Last edited by Lumbee; 04-19-2015 at 09:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte