U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:13 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,746,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
Three simple words solve this problem..."TWO HOUR DELAY".
That's what I thought, so I waited till 9 to leave for work and I drove on a blanket of ice for 3 miles. It was so frightening that I really wanted to turn around and go back home, but I just kept thinking... just a bit further and then I hit SC and it was all clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 10:24 AM

873 posts, read 1,539,956 times
I'm a native Charlottean....been living here or within 10 miles for nearly 55 years. They close the schools here when they call for snow!!! And then wonder why these kids can't read or write or do anything but play basketball. On the other hand, most of the people that drive in Charlotte can't do well even in the rain, much less the so-called snow.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:36 AM

578 posts, read 2,352,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
Three simple words solve this problem..."TWO HOUR DELAY".
Thank you. And for the schools that start at the crack of dawn (what is it, 7:00 something?) start them at 10 or 11! When I left this morning at 8:30 from the Steele Creek area, the roads were bone dry. Now I understand CMS encompasses a HUGE area, and other areas may have been different, but is there some reason they can't call school days by division?

Old 02-04-2009, 10:52 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,144,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
Thank you. And for the schools that start at the crack of dawn (what is it, 7:00 something?) start them at 10 or 11! When I left this morning at 8:30 from the Steele Creek area, the roads were bone dry. Now I understand CMS encompasses a HUGE area, and other areas may have been different, but is there some reason they can't call school days by division?
While your frustration is understandable it's just better and safer to keep the buses in the barn. Not all streets are as dry as the ones you saw. Not all parts of the county are in the same situation. There are some streets that are dry in spots and 20 feet away in a shady spot there is as much ice as there was this AM. Back in the day, I drove a school bus, once you get one of those yellow monsters moving, they don't always stop as fast as you want them too, even on a dry flat road. Also keep in mind that most buses run multiple routes for multiple schools (elem, mid & hs), starting later pushes the entire day back. So you would have some kids getting to school, going straight to lunch and then an hour or two before they would be back on the bus. What would be the point? I also wouldn't want the teenagers that drive themselves out on these roads. It just doesn't seem safe to me.

Not to mention those outstanding drivers out there who think it is perfectly acceptable to go 10 miles over the posted speed limit on ice running up on someones bumper or OR putt along at 5 miles an hour on the dry parts and tap their brakes just before they go on the ice. I saw both of these this AM as I was out.

Calling off on a division or district by district basis, would just cause total confusion and chaos. Most kids would end up staying home anyway.

I'm glad that CMS and UC et all make this call. As annoying as it can be and as inconvienient as it can be to our schedules, I wouldn't for one second trade that for the safey of any child.

Would you?

Old 02-04-2009, 10:55 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,642,987 times
I know quoting myself is kinda tacky but I think canceling is logical on days like today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
I think people forget about the school busses themselves. I think the rule is anything more than a two hour delay means no school that day. IIRC, busses roll out between 5am and 6am. So if the roads are projected to still be bad between 7am - 8am, school will be cancelled.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:57 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,144,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
I'm a native Charlottean....been living here or within 10 miles for nearly 55 years. They close the schools here when they call for snow!!! And then wonder why these kids can't read or write or do anything but play basketball. On the other hand, most of the people that drive in Charlotte can't do well even in the rain, much less the so-called snow.
In my 50 years of living here, I can't recall them ever once calling school, just because they called for snow, can you site a reference? Or was this just a sardonic post?

BTW - My kids read and write very well thank you, and one has a killer jump shot too.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:14 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,105,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
When I grew up in the UK there was no school buses. When we had snow we walked to school just the same and I am not that old.
Did the same in Chicago, IL (USA). Never saw a school bus until I moved south.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:21 AM

769 posts, read 1,980,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
Our road didn't even start melting until almost noon, and was very icy. I spent the morning watching cars spin and skid up it. The fact of the matter is that you don't know until it's all said and done where it's going to snow, how much it's going to snow, and when it's going to melt. And I'd wager that some schools had pick up areas that melted off early and other areas that didn't - how do you split a school and pick up part of the students and not the other? It's just too complicated to figure out a puzzle like that in the few hours available.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:22 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,105,221 times
Well, for everyone that is defensive...

Even the Prez recently made fun of the MD school district that closed school a week or so ago.....(can't find the link now)...saying that in Chicago schools NEVER close (true). But, then, the school bus thing is not very common and the roads are always cleared.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:37 AM

873 posts, read 1,539,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Or was this just a sardonic post?

BTW - My kids read and write very well thank you, and one has a killer jump shot too.
I didn't note the references in my Daily Planner, but it wasn't sardonic. As far as reading and writing very well, (LOL), the "educators" have lowered the standards so much over the past few decades that what is "well" is very relative!!! Otherwise there would be very few that could graduate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte