Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 02:05 PM

158 posts, read 543,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post

Nazira - The odds are that she will probably get asked. I agree with ani, people here are not out to get "the atheists". Will your dd be offended by the question? If not, she will be fine. If so, then yes, she will probably get some weird looks.
She probably won't get offended, but she is a teenager, and it's quite possible that she will say that she does not go to church at all. To be quite honest, I don't mind her getting looks, I'm sure she can handle that, maybe even a discussion about a religion and why she is not into it. As long as she won't get beaten up it's quite OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 02:42 PM

620 posts, read 2,117,954 times
She will definately find people like her to associate with, but church is much more prevalent here than someplace like NY. That is one of the few gripes I have about here.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:46 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBeginnings12 View Post
Nazira, yes, your daughter will get asked. I am from Boston, and it was a little bit of shock when I first got here and people asked that question. I am a very "Spiritual Woman" , not religious and I do not attend church.

When someone asks "Where do you go to church?", I just say, "where do you go?", and then they start talking about their church and forget about my church ;-)
Now that is a great way to handle it! As you have obviously figured out, no one is trying to get into a religion discussion in order to make a judgment about you as a person - they are just trying to have a conversation, LOL. Just talkin' and being friendly.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:54 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
She will definately find people like her to associate with, but church is much more prevalent here than someplace like NY. That is one of the few gripes I have about here.
Your gripe is that church attendance is much more prevalant here than in other places??? What a weird thing to complain about!

To our op, your daughter will be fine - straight edge, skin head types aren't common around here

Old 01-17-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Your gripe is that church attendance is much more prevalant here than in other places??? What a weird thing to complain about!

To our op, your daughter will be fine - straight edge, skin head types aren't common around here
I am a firm believer that organized religion breeds intolerance. My parents sent me to a private, religious school so I grew up with all of that and lets just say I don't agree with any of it. It all left a bad taste in my mouth...

Old 01-17-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I am a firm believer that organized religion breeds intolerance. My parents sent me to a private, religious school so I grew up with all of that and lets just say I don't agree with any of it. It all left a bad taste in my mouth...
Well, I guess that means we shouldn't ask you where you go to church, Hee Hee.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:15 PM

444 posts, read 1,648,674 times
Can an atheist survive in Charlotte?

I am very happy at Steele Creek Church of Charlotte and I share that to anyone and everyone who will listen. I really want everyone to come to my church whether they be an atheist, muslin, catholic or whatever. Our church has over 48 nations represented and therefore our wish is to have everyone come.

I am sure the people who might ask only would like to provide them with a name of a church that they feel would fit the need of the other person. They would never be critical only concerned perhaps if the person said they were atheist.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:23 PM

I do not mean to offend anyone, but I would be HIGHLY INSULTED if someone asked me where I went to church and I said - "well, I don't go" - and then the questioner said - WHY NOT - and I felt I had to reply "I am an atheist" and then the other person started expressing concern about my being an atheist.

I would hope if I said, "I am an atheist" the other person would politely say, "Oh, then I guess you aren't interested in finding a church" - and end of discussion. I would certainly hope that the other person would not act concerned or feel it was his/her duty to comment on that.

Same thing - if they said "I am a Buddhist," I would not be saying "Well, gosh, let me convert you to Christianity." I surely hope this wouldn't happen.

Surely it wouldn't?????

Old 01-17-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I do not mean to offend anyone, but I would be HIGHLY INSULTED if someone asked me where I went to church and I said - "well, I don't go" - and then the questioner said - WHY NOT - and I felt I had to reply "I am an atheist" and then the other person started expressing concern about my being an atheist.

I would hope if I said, "I am an atheist" the other person would politely say, "Oh, then I guess you aren't interested in finding a church" - and end of discussion. I would certainly hope that the other person would not act concerned or feel it was his/her duty to comment on that.

Same thing - if they said "I am a Buddhist," I would not be saying "Well, gosh, let me convert you to Christianity." I surely hope this wouldn't happen.

Surely it wouldn't?????
Oh, it does. Some feel the need to "convert" others (Christians especially). I've witnessed it here and in other places (for example, Greenville, SC - much worse there). I am not gay, but I know people who are and Charlotte doesn't even have an open gay pride like other cities because of the religious fantatics. They have to have it in a more secure place (hidden from view) because when it was in Marshall Park all of the Christian protester's made it so unbearable.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:52 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Oh, it does. Some feel the need to "convert" others (Christians especially). I've witnessed it here and in other places (for example, Greenville, SC - much worse there). I am not gay, but I know people who are and Charlotte doesn't even have an open gay pride like other cities because of the religious fantatics. They have to have it in a more secure place (hidden from view) because when it was in Marshall Park all of the Christian protester's made it so unbearable.
This thread is veering off topic...your view of religion is not the point of the thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte