U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 09:13 AM

22,031 posts, read 27,324,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofreel View Post
I didn't say he was to blame at all. His support of the historic preservation tax credit plan was the main reason he was at Loray. You'd think if this got bad press, perhaps higher ups would care a little more about completing the actual living and business space rather than trying to make only the areas the Governor would visit look in tip top shape. I've walked around all areas of that building and it's abundantly clear where they had the Governor and his party tour. The week prior to his visit, there was a ton of work done and a ton of activity going on. Since his visit, it's been a ghost town, right back to what it was before.
I really hope that they get their act together. I was serious. Call city officials too. There's a city plan & the mill is a crucial part of the plan. The Gazette has been on this for decades. Firestone took over the mill & was there until they built a new modern facility in Kings Mountain about 20 years ago. I have an elderly neighbor, in his 80s, who worked there & retired when they moved.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:18 AM

27 posts, read 33,081 times
I'm on to it. We really want to live here, and the potential is huge. It's such a unique area that it angers me to see mismanaging of it, like so many properties like it in the past. If they'd worry about completing construction than selling the places before they're built or putting news briefs/billboards out, it would help them out in the long run. The construction is so shoddy, some rooms have a steep decline. You could be in a living room and set a marble on the floor and it would roll all the way to the door. Some refrigerators sit at a 30 degree angle inside of the cabinets. The concrete is so poorly set. I just hope they haven't ran through all that money already on such a mediocre product.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I'm on to it. We really want to live here, and the potential is huge. It's such a unique area that it angers me to see mismanaging of it, like so many properties like it in the past. If they'd worry about completing construction than selling the places before they're built or putting news briefs/billboards out, it would help them out in the long run. The construction is so shoddy, some rooms have a steep decline. You could be in a living room and set a marble on the floor and it would roll all the way to the door. Some refrigerators sit at a 30 degree angle inside of the cabinets. The concrete is so poorly set. I just hope they haven't ran through all that money already on such a mediocre product.
Good luck. Keep us updated. I think that between the Gazette & the city of Gastonia they can get to the bottom of it. I think that WCNC would have to go to the city & the Gazette. They ignore this area to the point of it being disgraceful. They probably said that they'd take the story because they like to do bad stories if they do anything about this area & we've gone into the spring sweeps. They're probably booked for the spring sweeps & want it for summer sweeps.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:28 AM

I contacted Michael but haven't heard back. Will try again. Again, the goal here is not to get anyone fired or angry, but to get this done right and on time. If it's going to be delayed, tell your paying customers up front and don't lead them along.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I contacted Michael but haven't heard back. Will try again. Again, the goal here is not to get anyone fired or angry, but to get this done right and on time. If it's going to be delayed, tell your paying customers up front and don't lead them along.
The city of Gastonia has some type of arrangement on this. I think that it's an outfit out of Atlanta, if I remember correctly. If there is anything that has an odor about it, contact the city council & any city department that you think will be connected to this.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:15 AM

533 posts, read 769,139 times
Quote:
The week prior to his visit, there was a ton of work done and a ton of activity going on. Since his visit, it's been a ghost town, right back to what it was before.
Interesting indeed. Sounds like a good news story right there.

If I had to guess, there is a extreme shortage of cash flow. But why try to cover that up the week of the mayor's visit/walk thru??

Old 04-30-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloante74 View Post
Interesting indeed. Sounds like a good news story right there.

If I had to guess, there is a extreme shortage of cash flow. But why try to cover that up the week of the mayor's visit/walk thru??
I also think that it's a cash flow problem that goes back to killing the rehab money. I suspect that someone from the organization in charge of the rehab thought that it would be a good idea to raise money from prospective renters. Maybe they can get away with that in Georgia, but its illegal any place that I ever lived. That's why I keep saying that the city & the Gazette are the places to go on this. Heck, I'm usually the first to tell people to go to a TV station, but not on this one. I don't think that the stations will get to the bottom of the problem on their own. They won't allow the man hours for reseach needed. However, WSOC will cover the story if the Gazette runs something on it.

The Gaston Gazette has been dealing with the mill situation since Firestone left. The city handed over control of the mill rehab to an organization. If something isn't right, the city needs to be aware of it. Too much is riding on this.

All of us out here have a stake in this. If Gastonia is doing better, we all do better.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I also think that it's a cash flow problem that goes back to killing the rehab money. I suspect that someone from the organization in charge of the rehab thought that it would be a good idea to raise money from prospective renters. Maybe they can get away with that in Georgia, but its illegal any place that I ever lived. That's why I keep saying that the city & the Gazette are the places to go on this. Heck, I'm usually the first to tell people to go to a TV station, but not on this one. I don't think that the stations will get to the bottom of the problem on their own. They won't allow the man hours for reseach needed. However, WSOC will cover the story if the Gazette runs something on it.

The Gaston Gazette has been dealing with the mill situation since Firestone left. The city handed over control of the mill rehab to an organization. If something isn't right, the city needs to be aware of it. Too much is riding on this.

All of us out here have a stake in this. If Gastonia is doing better, we all do better.
Agreed.

Things are in motion, here. What's funny is that I haven't spoken to a single resident here who's not had some sort of issue. They are extremely understaffed and I feel for them. They're the ones having to deliver the news that's frustrating everyone, or giving out false dates. I don't want a target on my back but then again I'm not doing anything wrong by wanting to figure out why this has been such an issue for us all. I think it's worse to not do anything while we keep giving them cash. I just saw that article this week about the gala they're having at the mill and all the talk about how fantastic it was and I just can't believe how much false information gets out.

Don't get me wrong. The things that are done and are completed are breathtaking. Outside of the actual apartments, it's a gorgeous building.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Agreed.

Things are in motion, here. What's funny is that I haven't spoken to a single resident here who's not had some sort of issue. They are extremely understaffed and I feel for them. They're the ones having to deliver the news that's frustrating everyone, or giving out false dates. I don't want a target on my back but then again I'm not doing anything wrong by wanting to figure out why this has been such an issue for us all. I think it's worse to not do anything while we keep giving them cash. I just saw that article this week about the gala they're having at the mill and all the talk about how fantastic it was and I just can't believe how much false information gets out.

Don't get me wrong. The things that are done and are completed are breathtaking. Outside of the actual apartments, it's a gorgeous building.
I hope that this gets cleared up for you. You have every right to be upset. Check on the date of thr next city council meeting. If it's still up in the air, go to it & give them a piece of your mind.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:44 AM

So a bit of an update:

Work was being done this past week. They actually poured some concrete at the pool area one day, but haven't done anything since then. The date we were all given was the end of may for a grand pool opening, and it's still largely unfinished. Word is that funding is possibly the issue here, maybe the banks are dragging their feet with funds.

I also walked into the event hall yesterday and there's a roof leak already, which they've put a bucket down for.

A lot of the residents are growing increasingly negative at the idea of anything promising being done. Most of them looked at the pool with no work being done in this recent dry patch we've had and said they believe there is an issue going on that nobody is aware of.

I can't speak enough about how great the residents are, though. We're all going through this together. I haven't been able to get much going on with the media yet, and am hoping to get the Gazette to return some emails. I should be moving soon to the other unit, but if I get one more delay, I will contact the council.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or