U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 08:23 AM

27 posts, read 32,908 times

Advertisements

Let me preface this by stating that my mistake is hopefully someone else's wake up call not to do this.

I've been a tenant here for a bit and while this place looks outstanding, they're more interested in fluff instead of a solid foundation.

There are only a couple of floors you can live on. If anyone has a 3rd or 4th floor apartment they've reserved, back out now. We've been told it would be ready in February. It's looking more like June now. We've looked at the construction and nothing is being done there. I think that perhaps money has ran out or there is an issue with contractors. They worked like crazy when the Governor came here a few weeks back, but have ceased any work after that. They are extremely short staffed. Expect 3 weeks or better on work orders or maintenance. I've not spoken to a resident who hasn't had an issue with one of these. The pool area is still a mess, and word is not to expect that this summer (promised first of may to be complete). The promised gym is empty with absolutely no movement (promised to be completed in Feb). There are no other businesses at all in the mill. So if you want to live in the hood with absolutely no amenities, this is the spot for you.

Loray would be an absolutely beautiful building if it were done right. The floors are slopped and uneven. There are cracks everywhere. Walls are separating from brick. There is construction writing all over the tenants floors, yet they make it a priority to get that event hall open so they can throw a ball to pretend how great Loray is, meanwhile feet from the doors to the event hall, people who are paying to live there have been fed empty promises and have zero to show for it. This is shaping up to be very shady. Unfortunately we are in a binding agreement, so we're stuck here. But if you are considering this, at the very least wait until this work (if ever) gets done.

I plan on contacting members of the media to get more out there about this, because so far it's all been yet more fluff on how great it is, when in reality the only people actually paying to live here are the ones seeing the ugly side of this project.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:32 AM

4,760 posts, read 6,407,764 times
Do you have any of the promises in writing? The work stoppage could be for any one of a number of reasons. It's in their best interest to get finished and get income flowing. I have a hard time believing they would just choose to stop working.

If you're really unhappy, you can find a way to get out of your lease.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:34 AM

We have a number of written emails stating our move in dates. My guess is that they are more concerned with piling people in without telling them exact dates than waiting for those apartments to be completed.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:04 PM

21,856 posts, read 27,128,289 times
If you recall, Raleigh had killed money for rehabbing. It's possible that that's behind this.

I'd suggest that if you feel a need to contact media, in this case, contact the Gaston Gazette. A TV station would contact them anyway. They've been following this for ~ 20 years, since Firestone left for Kings Mountain. I think I'd start by checking with the city. They are involved & have an interest in this being successful.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:39 PM

Bill McGinty from WCNC is now on this.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,330 times
Hello manofreel. My name is Michael Barrett and I'm a reporter with The Gaston Gazette. I'm very interested in talking with you about your trouble at the mill, as I've written in the past (most recently late last year) about these concerns regarding construction delays. (I'm fairly sure WCNC has not.) Please feel free to contact me at 704-869-1826 or mbarrett@gastongazette.com. Thanks!

Old 04-28-2015, 08:46 PM

21,856 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manofreel View Post
Bill McGinty from WCNC is now on this.
I really suggest that you contact the reporter from the Gazette who has posted. Honestly, WCNC would have been the last place that I would have gone. They have the worst news coverage west of Charlotte & don't care enough to get a consistent over the air signal into Cleveland County. WSOC would have picked the story up from the Gazette.

Everybody out here wants the Loray Mill to succeed. That means that everyone wants you & everyone at the Loray Mill happy. Call the man. He can probably get to the bottom of your problems faster than anyone else.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:47 AM

I've given Michael a call and an e-mail! Thanks for the tips guys.

Honestly, there's no preference on who reports on it. My goal is to get eyes on this story. The more, the better, especially since this has Governor McCrory's name stamped on it.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:10 AM

6,032 posts, read 7,528,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manofreel View Post
I've given Michael a call and an e-mail! Thanks for the tips guys.

Honestly, there's no preference on who reports on it. My goal is to get eyes on this story. The more, the better, especially since this has Governor McCrory's name stamped on it.
Not sure how McCrory is to blame for this. He just visited the place.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Not sure how McCrory is to blame for this. He just visited the place.
I didn't say he was to blame at all. His support of the historic preservation tax credit plan was the main reason he was at Loray. You'd think if this got bad press, perhaps higher ups would care a little more about completing the actual living and business space rather than trying to make only the areas the Governor would visit look in tip top shape. I've walked around all areas of that building and it's abundantly clear where they had the Governor and his party tour. The week prior to his visit, there was a ton of work done and a ton of activity going on. Since his visit, it's been a ghost town, right back to what it was before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or