U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 12:53 AM

24 posts, read 22,606 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in california but Ive looking for several years to relocate to a place where your whole paychecks doesnt have to be used up by your rent. A room for rent where I live is $900, a one bedroom apartment is $1500, and forget about being able to afford a house. The minimum wage here is $9 and a good paying job here is $15+. If you scrape by you never have enough left over to enjoy life... Aside from the 20 min drive to great beaches which are free. In 2013 I moved to WA for the cheaper rent. I stayed about 8 months before the lack of sun made me very depressed and I had to move back to CA. So now Im searching for a better fit - a place with four seasons that is not overcast most of the year, and affordable but pays decent enough wages. Im seriously thinking NC. I would love to hear more about the weather, economy, and the safe areas to live in. Colorado would be a second choice but there is no beaches in the state which is a downside. Im a pretty simple person, I enjoy hiking and the beach or trips to the lake/river, I like a country feel without being too far away from the city, and prefer a safe family type area even though Im current divorced/single. My friend moved last year to Huntersville NC and loves it and has a huge house (not that I need a huge house) for the same price she paid for her CA apartment. Is this a good city or is there better places? I noticed its very far from the beach but my friend said that only tourist really go to the beach there and its not desirable to live at the beach there like it is here. Anything you could tell me about NC would be helpful and I would be greatful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 10:36 AM

11,801 posts, read 26,731,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellysue85 View Post
I was born and raised in california but Ive looking for several years to relocate to a place where your whole paychecks doesnt have to be used up by your rent. A room for rent where I live is $900, a one bedroom apartment is $1500, and forget about being able to afford a house. The minimum wage here is $9 and a good paying job here is $15+. If you scrape by you never have enough left over to enjoy life... Aside from the 20 min drive to great beaches which are free. In 2013 I moved to WA for the cheaper rent. I stayed about 8 months before the lack of sun made me very depressed and I had to move back to CA. So now Im searching for a better fit - a place with four seasons that is not overcast most of the year, and affordable but pays decent enough wages. Im seriously thinking NC. I would love to hear more about the weather, economy, and the safe areas to live in. Colorado would be a second choice but there is no beaches in the state which is a downside. Im a pretty simple person, I enjoy hiking and the beach or trips to the lake/river, I like a country feel without being too far away from the city, and prefer a safe family type area even though Im current divorced/single. My friend moved last year to Huntersville NC and loves it and has a huge house (not that I need a huge house) for the same price she paid for her CA apartment. Is this a good city or is there better places? I noticed its very far from the beach but my friend said that only tourist really go to the beach there and its not desirable to live at the beach there like it is here. Anything you could tell me about NC would be helpful and I would be greatful!
It's a good place to move and there are many other good places around Charlotte. There are several places to hike and go to the lake outside of Charlotte. I know the beach is important to you. Have you thought of Raleigh, NC which is another great option? You can get pretty much the same that you are asking for in both places but the beach would be closer to the Raleigh area.

Last edited by beckycat; 04-29-2015 at 10:50 AM..

Old 04-29-2015, 11:43 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,453,900 times
Quote:
I noticed its very far from the beach but my friend said that only tourist really go to the beach there and its not desirable to live at the beach there like it is here.
Assuming it's true, why would it matter if the people on the beach are tourists or locals? And if it's not as popular, then that would be reflected in the lower cost of beach property, which is in your favor, right?

Old 04-29-2015, 01:07 PM

Thank you beckycat. I will research raleigh. Megax.. Regarding what my NC friend told me about the beach... The tourist there are no problem because they come for a short period of the year and then are gone. Yes lower prices are a plus but my NC friend said the beach locals are ... What you would call "white trash" in CA. People that dont care about upkeeping the area. Again I dont know how true it is but thats just what I was told so thats why Im asking.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:16 PM

11,801 posts, read 26,731,478 times
What kind of work do you do?

Old 04-30-2015, 05:11 PM

249 posts, read 369,873 times
IF I was you I would look at the Wilmington area if you can find work out there. You could have the best of both worlds.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:47 AM

I have 15 years customer service and 10 years management. I really like Wilmington but locals keep telling me there are no jobs there.. Which confused me. If there were no jobs how do people buy homes there.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:57 AM

11,237 posts, read 19,703,291 times
Quote:
I have 15 years customer service and 10 years management. I really like Wilmington but locals keep telling me there are no jobs there.. Which confused me. If there were no jobs how do people buy homes there.
Obviously people who buy homes in Wilmington are established there: They are doctors, real estate professionals or chemical engineers, etc. Many of them were born in North Carolina or went to school at UNCW.

What people should be saying is that you should not expect to walk into a well-paid professional jobs in Wilmington. You may be lucky, but don't expect to get many answers if you submit a resume with a California address.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:15 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,787,814 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone has said there are no jobs in Wilmington. What people have said is that the Wilmington economy is largely based on tourism and healthcare, with a smattering of decent sized businesses, plus UNC-W. There are not an abundance of jobs that pay more than a "survival wage". Much of the housing market is probably driven by retirees.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 05-01-2015 at 12:34 PM..

Old 05-01-2015, 12:19 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,453,900 times
Quote:
I really like Wilmington but locals keep telling me there are no jobs there.. Which confused me. If there were no jobs how do people buy homes there.
They probably just don't want to encourage any more out-of-towners clogging-up their roads
(Actually, beyond the public sector, there aren't a whole lot of large employers in Wilmington. Most of their population growth likely comes from retirees)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or