Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 07:19 AM

3 posts, read 7,972 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to the palisades neighborhood. Have three small children. Curious about preschools in the area as well as pediatricians. I am a pilot and will have to get to the airport how is the commute?? Is there talk about new middle and high schools being built? If not where do people in the Palisades send their kids to school? Love the neighborhood just concerned about where to go for schools etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 07:27 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,375,458 times
You can use this to determine your school assignment:

GeoPortal

And use this to get information on the school:

NC School Report Cards

Old 04-29-2015, 08:07 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,424,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviswilson View Post
We are considering moving to the palisades neighborhood. Have three small children. Curious about preschools in the area as well as pediatricians. I am a pilot and will have to get to the airport how is the commute?? Is there talk about new middle and high schools being built? If not where do people in the Palisades send their kids to school? Love the neighborhood just concerned about where to go for schools etc. Thanks!
Join the new 'We're moving to Charlotte Club"! I can't say for 100%, but the last figures I could find, say you are one of 235.6 people/families who move here each DAY (just to Charlotte).
Over Two-Thirds of North Carolina Public Schools Receive C or Better on School Performance Grades for 2013-14
Here is the link to the new (as of 2013-2014 school year) letter grading of the schools in NC. I do not live in Palisades neighborhood but I hope the link helps you make important decisions.

I can say I have been here for 29 yrs and am on City-Data to 'do my homework' for a retirement move AWAY from Charlotte. It's turning into a 'Little Miami' in Oh! So many ways, which I thankfully escaped from in 1986 and don't miss one bit. I'd be gone now, but my son is in college and I enjoy helping him some til he finishes.
My next 'home' will be a state with NO income tax and + Medical MJ laws...and more senior Boomers like myself.
You are welcome to take my 'slot' here. I wish you the best.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:02 AM

95 posts, read 280,125 times
How is it turning into a little Miami? I live in Miami so I'm curious!

Old 04-30-2015, 06:13 AM

235 posts, read 306,896 times
Quote:
The Palisades/Lake Wylie area is very nice. The wife and I are empty nesters so I cant offer any help on the schools. Your commute to the airport will be on average about 15 to 20 minutes. Part of the drive to CLT will be on SR-160 and during the peak of morning and evening rush hours it will back up petty bad. Figure closer to a 30 minute drive during rush hours.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:21 AM

110 posts, read 159,882 times
The Palisades is a nice neighborhood. We have friends who moved there recently and enjoy it.

Regarding schools, I know our friends are sending their kids to the Palisades Episcopal School. It is a K-8 school. The public schools are Charlotte Meck schools. To give you a little perspective on the topic of building new schools for that neighborhood, I know when we looked there five years ago, our agent kept dangling the promise of a soon to be built elementary in the neighborhood. That school was just opened this year and is near, but not in the neighborhood. I had not heard of a new middle school or high school so I have no idea what the timeline is. I would however, look it up for yourself vs. trusting a realtor. I think one of the long term issues with The Palisades has been the issue of the school district/zoning, so realtors try to dangle carrots on that topic. The current elementary is Palisades Park and the middle is Southwest. I would look them up on Great Schoools. Not sure of your budget or preferences, but given your demographics, you might look at Baxter Village in Fort Mill. Great neighborhood for families with young kids and no issues at all school wise. We know a few US Air pilots who live there. Springfield might be a good option as well.

I'm not (I promise!) trying to discourage The Palisades if you love it. It is a really pretty neighborhood, just sharing my thoughts.

In rush hour traffic, 15-20 to the airport is unrealistic. The previous person is correct, I'm betting closer to 30-40.

Regarding pediatricians, virtually all my friends use Novant Health Steelcroft Pediatrics, which is on 49/Tryon and about a 10 min drive from Palisades. We haven't switched to them, but I have heard nothing but good things.

There are several church preschools along that same road. All very close to Palisades. We used the preschool at Good Shepherd Methodist (my son is 6) and were very pleased. Since preschool drop off and pick ups are not at peak times, traffic shouldn't be an issue. There are several wonderful programs in Fort Mill as well - church run and now many private opening up. In general, finding a good program shouldn't be that big of a deal. Registration for next year will have already occurred, so some programs might be full, but I bet you can still find a spot at a good school. Most end up with openings due to job transfers, etc.

Last edited by Rbmallory; 04-30-2015 at 06:37 AM..

Old 04-30-2015, 08:47 AM

3 posts, read 7,972 times
Thank you so so much! Great information!

Old 04-30-2015, 02:00 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,424,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc101 View Post
How is it turning into a little Miami? I live in Miami so I'm curious!
If you live in Miami, then you know well what I speak about....a little corruption in Politics, a little gang problem that will grow if not checked soon, a little heroin et al drug trade problem stemming from the direct routes and highways between SOFL, Charlotte, Chicago, Texas and those are just for starters. IF you have lived through that in other growing cities and are older than middle 30s you know what to 'observe' in a smaller but growing rapidly city. NO crystal ball here...hope that helped your curious mind.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,297 times
Default Following up

Quote:
Hi there! Reading this thread and wanted to follow up on the decision as I’m in a similar place in trying to decide about the Palisades living as well as keeping the schools in mind?

Old 04-16-2019, 08:23 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,688,665 times
CMS is building a new high school in the Palisades that will relieve Olympic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte